Toggl is considered one of the most popular time tracking tools on the market at the moment. The platform combines time tracking, project management, and HR-related features.
It is often among the first results in Google searches, and its youthful approach and beautiful design attract many users.
However, the market for time tracking solutions is vast. This wouldn’t be possible if there was a single perfect solution that fits every business’s needs. In other words, despite all of its positive traits and usefulness, Toggl might not be the best option for you. That is why we have created a list of 13 software platforms that can be a great Toggl alternative.
But first, we made a brief comparison of the software divided into segments: Тime Tracking, Time Reporting, Extra Features, and Pricing.
The List of Toggl Alternatives
Detailed Review of Toggl Alternatives
Time Analytics is one of the newer additions to the time tracking platform market. This Toggl alternative prides itself on its ease of use combined with a powerful set of features. It makes time tracking extremely simple but doesn’t sacrifice its efficiency.
The platform offers two simple ways to track time and complete timesheets. The first method is comprised of manual entries. The other, on the other hand, relies on an automatic timer. The employees create a time entry and start the timer when they start working on a specific task. Then, they stop the timer once they’ve finished working on said task. Then, the entries will be transferred into the timesheet automatically.
The time is tracked by the employee, task, project, and client. This gives the management a great amount of insight into the status of every project. Even though the interface is very simple to use and doesn’t require a high level of computer skills, you will still get all the reports you need.
A. Time tracking
- Track time per clients, project and/or task
- Track time with timer or add hours/minutes manually
- Mark time as billable/non-billable
- Review time entries as list in daily view or calendar view
- Billing and pay rates
- Labor cost allocation to the projects/tasks
- Logging time-off (holiday, sick leaves, vacation, daily breaks etc..)
B. Time Reporting
- Team reports – watch productivity and efficiency metrics, review total logged hours, compare its with work capacity, track billable hours, time utilization, team involvement in projects and activities,
- Project time reporting – review hours per projects, billable hours, project costs, revenues, profits and more
- Client time reporting – review hours per clients, billable hours, client engagement costs, fees, profits and more
- Activity reporting – review time per each activity and tasks
- Great visuals
- Daily and weekly timesheets for employees
- Editing and filtering timesheets by managers
- Timesheet export in Excel
D. Billing transparency and accuracy
- Identify and confirm all billable hours per clients per services
- Make transparent invoice appendix
- Export invoice in Excel
Time Analytics offers two pricing plans:
- Starter: $4.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $5.99 (billed monthly)
- Optimum: $6.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $8.45 (billed monthly)
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a special pricing discount.
Source: Desktime web
DeskTime’s biggest advantage is the minimum of interaction the platform needs. Simply put, the program will start as soon as your employees turn on their computers. The platform measures the time users spend at their desks, as well as their productivity levels during the day.
This platform offers a high degree of customization. You can set up different parameters to track either on the company level or for specific teams or even employees.
DeskTime is one of the stricter programs on our list, as it offers the options of tracking document titles, time spent offline, as well as apps, programs, and web pages the users are opening during their working hours.
- Time tracking – track the time of your employees automatically and receive reports on their productivity
- Document title trakcing
- Pomodoro timer – use one of the most popular time management techniques right from the platform
- Cost calculation
- Web time tracking
- Scheduling – schedule shifts and track time off for all your employees
DeskTime offers a free version for one user only. Paid plans offered
- Pro: $7 per user per motnh
- Premium: $10 per user per month
- Enterprise: $20 per user per month
The platform offers a 14-day free trial.
3. Time Doctor
Source: Time Doctor web
Time Doctor is one of the oldest and most reliable time tracking solutions currently available. It also offers some advanced monitoring techniques. These techniques include work reminders, which show up on the employees’ screens when they stay inactive for a while.
This Toggl alternative aims to increase employee engagement by delivering weekly and daily reports to the managers. Finally, if you want to make absolutely sure your team is using their time to work and not goof off, you can set up timed screenshots of their devices. The downsides of these features are lowered morale and the feeling of being micromanaged.
- Timesheets – create documents that show exactly what your employees have been working on
- Screenshots – see real-time progress of any project and check in on user activity
- Distraction alerts – if an employee spends a lot of time on a work-non-related site they will be notified
There are three plans Time Doctor offers – Basic, Standard, and Premium. There is also a 14-day free trial.
- Basic plan: $70 per user per year
- Standard plan: $100 per user per year
- Premium plan: $200 per user per year
Learn more about Time Doctor pricing plans.
Source: TMetric web
TMetric is a Toggl alternative that aims to make time tracking and task management as simple as possible while delivering regular activity reports. You can monitor your projects in a way that ensures an increase in profitability through project budgeting and reports that show where and when you’ve gone over budget.
The platform offers a suite of different features that help the everyday functioning of any business. Its attendance and time off tracking feature will allow you to create shifts accurately and never worry about them again.
One of the platform’s biggest advantages is the variety of its integrations, which allow users to continue using their previous business software.
- Time tracking – an automatic time tracker that also summarizes daily activity for each employee
- Break tracking – get a notification when your employees aren’t using their computers
- Time off tracking – book vacation, holiday etc..
- Billing and invoicing – create invoices through a few simple commands and make sure they’re accurate
- Task management – task scheduling and organizing organize tasks
- Free (limited)
- Business — $7 per user per month or $72 per user per year
- Professional — $5 per user per month or $48 per user per year
You can use TMetric for two weeks for free within trial period.
Source: Quickbooks Time web
QuickBooks Time (formerly TSheets) is a time tracking solution started by the popular accounting platform QuickBooks. Hence, this Toggl alternative has a high-quality integration with the accounting software. This gives it the advantage of simple payroll calculation and easy payments. Additionally, the invoicing process is very simple as well.
The solution is timesheet-based, and your employees can enter their time manually or through an automatic timer. QuickBooks Time has the upper hand over Toggl in the project management aspect. You can track the progress of your projects and check whether you’re meeting your deadlines or not.
Finally, the platform offers an HR toolbox, which allows the HR team to keep all employee data – evaluations, training manuals, employee charts, etc. – in one place.
- Time tracking – know how your employees are spending their time in the office, including remote workforce
- Payroll and billing – integrate the platform with QuickBooks and simplify these processes
- Identification – your employees can physically check in at the QuickBooks kiosk
- GPS time tracker
- Timesheet approvals
QuickBooks Time offers two plans – Premium and Elite.
- Premium– $20 minimum price + $8 user/month
- Elite– $40 minimum price + $10 user/month
The platform gives you the opportunity to test it for 30 days for free.
Source: Hubstaff web
Hubstaff is a Toggl alternative that focuses on tracking time for remote and field teams. The platform is available on desktop, mobile, web, and Chrome. That is to say, your employees will be able to accurately track their time from anywhere. The app’s GPS feature will confirm their location to make sure they’re being honest about their whereabouts too.
Hubstaff constantly provides the management with productivity reports. this way you will be able to see which team members are doing well, and which ones need additional help, or are experiencing burnout.
There are also other monitoring options with Hubstaff, as you will be able to see whether the employees are working or not by monitoring their keyboard and mouse activity. We warn you – this will not be the most popular feature among your employees!
- Time tracking – easy-to-use time tracker and timesheets for accurate time logs
- Employee monitoring – track keyboard and mouse activity to make sure your employees are actually working
- Time cards
- GPS location tracking
- Reports – get reports on every team member’s activity and the impact of their work
- Free – limited to one user
- Basic — $7 per month, per user if billed monthly ($5.83 if billed annually)
- Premium — $10 per month, per user if billed monthly ($8.33 if billed annually)
- Enterprise — $20 per month, per user if billed monthly ($16.67 if billed annually)
The platform offers a 14-day free trial. Check out our in-deep article on Hubstaff pricing.
Source: ManicTime web
ManicTime is a Toggl alternative that offers an interesting approach to time tracking. It is a hybrid of automatic and manual time tracking that could be a great solution for many. Namely, you can turn the program on and leave it in the background during your workday. Then, at the end of your day, you simply do a review of the recorded work, tag tasks, and create a timesheet.
the timesheets are sent to the ManicTime server, which turns them into a variety of reports. This makes reviewing your business’s state a breeze. You can also automate the report generation and get them in your inbox every week or month.
You can create accurate bills and invoices with transparent data for your clients. This will solve any questions related to your fees and keep your reputation safe.
- Time tracking – track employee time automatically with manual revisions
- Automatically records your computer usage
- Absence tracking – get notified if an employee doesn’t show up for work
- Remote-friendly – you can track time from anywhere and be sure the data is accurate
- Standard plan (for 5 users): $50 per month billed yearly or $60 when billed monthly
- Ultimate plan (for 5 users): $65 per month billed yearly or $75 when billed monthly
You can try the program out for two weeks for free.
Source: TrackingTime web
TrackingTime is an easy-to-use time tracking software. This Toggl alternative relies on automatic time tracking. You simply leave the timer running in the background when you start working, so you’ll be able to focus on your work.
Again, this is one of the options that heavily use employee monitoring. The management can see the progress of any project in real-time by checking in on the employees. as we keep insisting – this may not be the best option for company morale.
TrackingTime offers integrations with the most used and loved business applications, as well as a web tracker for Firefox and Google Chrome.
- Time tracking – start tracking time with a single click and create online timesheets, repeat time entry by scheduling option, daily, weekly or monthly view of time entries
- Project management – plan and delegate different tasks for your team and see them being completed in real-time
- Reports – receive reports on each employee’s time and make sure to pay them accordingly
There is a free version of the platform with limited functionality. However, if you want to use all the features the software offers you can get the Pro version for $5 per user per month.
Source: Paymo web
Paymo is another Toggl alternative that serves as a time tracker and project management tool at the same time. Its goal is an overall increase in productivity, the way you can achieve that with Paymo is through the app’s feature set.
The app offers an automatic timer. The employees start the timer when they start working on a specific task for higher accuracy. The timers are also available to the management in real-time. This makes the transparency higher. It also allows the management to delegate urgent tasks to the employees who are not currently working on something crucial.
The application is a great solution for invoice generation as well. You can include all timesheet data in invoices for your clients to avoid any confusion or miscommunication. The clients will see exactly where your fees are coming from.
- Time tracking – an automatic timer that transfers the data into a timesheet
- Task management – plan and adjust work schedules for each project to make sure you deliver it on time
- Billing – include an itemized list of tasks done for a client in their invoice
- Free: Limited to 100 time entries, 3 clients and 50 tasks
- Starter: $5.95 per user per month (max one user)
- Small Office: $9.95 per user per month
- Business: 29.79 per user per month
There is a 15-day free trial available.
Source: Clockify web
Clockify is also a well-known time tracking platform. This time tracker relies on automatic time tracking and timesheets. In other words, you can use the app to track time automatically or make time entries manually.
All time tracking software solutions have the goal of increasing employees’ awareness of the time they spend on projects as well as their office downtime, and Clockify isn’t an exception. You can easily plan projects and see how they’re progressing in real-time to make sure you will be able to deliver them in time.
Clockify takes the data employees submit and creates reports. you can choose whether you want a general overview or a more detailed and intricate report.
- Time tracking – add time entries manually or use the automatic time clocks
- Time invoicing
- Reports – export detailed or general reports to make sure your business is on track
- Time off tracking – track the team’s requests for time off as well as national and religious holidays
- Free – limitation in some features
- Basic – $4.99 per user per month
- Standard – $6.99 per user per month
- Pro – $9.99 per user per month
- Enterprise – $14.99 per user per month
Source: Harvest web
Harvest is yet another excellent time tracking platform. Even though the system is simple to use, it also provides the management with enough data to create reliable reports that can help the company stay within its means and deadlines.
This app provides the users with a simple time tracking system, and reminders to use it regularly. This is a great feature, as we all know we can forget things very easily when in a hurry. The app is available as a desktop and mobile app, as well as a browser extension, which means the employees will be able to track their time from anywhere.
Harvest analyzes the data your employees enter into the program and turn it into various reports through analysis. This way, you’ll be able to keep your projects on budget and make sure you have enough manpower for future projects.
- Time tracking – a simple and reliable time tracking system to keep you informed
- Budget tracking – make sure you aren’t going over budget in any aspect of your business
- Cost analysis – understand how your business spends money and make more accurate estimates in the future
- Time invoicing: Invoice management, recurring invoices, check invoice status and more
There is a free version but useless as it allow to track only two projects and onboard one user. On the other hand, teams can use Harvest for $12 per user per month. The platform has a 30-day free trial as well.
Source: RescueTime web
This automatic time tracker has the goal of allowing employees to understand the way they spend their time at work. This means deep-diving into their everyday activities and allowing them to understand what’s hindering them.
One of RescueTime’s main advantages is its Focus Work feature. This feature sets a daily goal for each employee and motivates them to finish it. If an employee is distracted by some other activity during their Focus hours, they will receive a notification reminding them to continue their work.
The platform encourages its users to find their strengths and incorporate better work habits into their everyday routine. It also points out potential areas for improvement.
- Time tracking – track time with a single click, whether you’re online or off the web
- Activity monitoring – measure the time your team spends using different apps, websites, and documents
- Distraction blocking – disable access to distracting websites and apps during Focus time
RescueTime’s pricing depends on your industry, the size of your company, and other factors. the prices start at $6 per user per month.
Source: Freshbooks web
FreshBooks is an accounting software solution. You can use it as a Toggl alternative, as it also offers a time tracking feature. This feature allows users to conclude how long each type of task takes to complete. You can be sure the data is accurate as well, as the time is measured by an automatic timer.
The accounting aspect of the software ensures all revenues are calculated properly, as well as your bills and salaries. Avoiding mistakes is the reason the platform is focused on accuracy above all.
Same as many other time tracking programs on this list, you can use this platform to create professional invoices. However, as accounting is the main focus, the accuracy and professional appearance of the invoices are front and center.
- Time tracking – track time automatically and make sure everyone is working on their tasks
- Expenses – track business expenses by connecting FreshBooks to your bank account
- Invoicing – create professional-looking invoices for your clients in a matter of a few clicks
There are four plans:
- Lite: $137 billed annually, limited to 5 billable clients
- Plus: $243 billed annually, limited to 50 billable clients
- Premium: $445 billed annually
The platform also offers a 30-day free trial.
How to Choose Toggl Track Alternative?
Toggl is a high-quality but quite expensive time tracking software solution. Yet, it isn’t the only one on the market. We recommend doing some research before making your final decision.
Read more about Toggl Pricing.
Make sure your choice contains some of these functionalities:
- Track time per clients, projects and/or activities (tasks)
- Manual time entry
- Billing rates, cost allocation to the projects
- Different roles of users: eg. admin, manager and typical user
- Comprehensive time reports – per team members, clients, projects
- Support by customer service
If you want to try Time Analytics you can create our account in one minute or book 1:1 demo with our team.