Time is money, but this is just partially true.
Jim Rohn said: “Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.”
Indeed, with the billable hour tracker, you cannot get total time, but you can get more free and productive time.
In the professional service industry, the only product that the company sells, in a bottom line, is a time i.e., billable hours. As time is a limited resource, companies should pay special attention to time consumption. Only with efficient time management can the companies grow healthy and measure key performances such as profitability and productivity.
How Can You Track Your Billable Hours?
Tracking billable hours is the main reason service companies are implementing time management solutions. With billable time tracker, the companies can:
- Reduce unproductive time
- Create more free time
- Improved return on investment (profit on hour engaged)
- Be fair and transparent in invoicing to the clients
- Evaluate employee’s work
A List of Best Solutions
1. Time Analytics – Increase Billable Hours and Profitability
Time Analytics is an online billable hours tracker that helps its users keep track of billable hours and improve the profitability of projects. The platform tracks time utilization and efficiency and reduces unproductive hours.
With Time Analytics, you can accurately track each task your team performs and charge for each billable hour.
Time Analytics is the perfect solution for the professional service industry.
- Work hours tracking per employees, clients, projects, and specific tasks
- Billable and non-billable hours management
- Expense management – tracking labor and overhead cost per client or project
- Comprehensive timesheet management
- Client’s profitability management (tracking billable hours and costs for each engagement)
- Invoicing assistant – no surprises to clients with transparent invoice appendix
- A relatively new platform and with features that are still developing, such as task management (via Kanban list) and billing automation
- A free plan is available with a limitation to five users and 30 projects/clients
- Starter — $4.99 per user per month ($4.29 for an annual license subscription)
- Optimum — $6.99 per user per month ($5.99 for an annual license subscription)
- Premium — $12.99 per user per month ($10.99 for an annual license subscription)
There won’t be a price increase with the implementation of new features.
Trial Period and Payment
You can use the full-featured version for 60 days, which is the longest free trial period among all apps reviewed in this article.
No credit card is required for the trial period. If you want to keep using the software after the trial period, you’ll need to choose a pricing plan and pay for a monthly or annual license with a credit card or via wire transfer.
2. Amberlo – Track Time for Easy Billing and Other Benefits
Amberlo is primarily suitable for law firms, but it can be used across the entire service industry.
Amberlo is a tool for managing time and tasks that allow you to focus on essential matters. Besides recording billable hours and time billing solutions, this time tracking tool provides more options for the management of the entire business.
The software has ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27017 certifications, which is proof of security. Amberlo also uses SSL for encrypting all network traffic as well.
- Billable time and expense tracking
- Legal billing
- Matter management
- Contact management
- Document management
- Rates management
- Email management
- Trusted accounting — account balances for every client and matter
- Grow — € 25 per user/month when billed annually, and €30 when billed monthly
- Premium — € 35 per user/month when billed annually, or €40, when billed monthly
- Elite — € 55 per user/month when billed annually, or €70 when billed monthly
A seven-day free trial is also available.
3. BambooHR – Easily Track Billing Time
At its core, BambooHR is human resources software with the feature of time tracking. It’s made for small and medium businesses. This is an excellent solution for employee tracking, i.e. collecting and analyzing employees’ data and improving their performance.
- Time and attendance tracking — punch cards, timesheets, calculating employees’ hours
- Compensation mode
- People and data analytics (employee records, workflows and approvals, reporting)
There are a few pricing plans, but the information isn’t publicly available. However, you can get the info on demand.
Moreover, there’s a free seven-day trial.
4. ClickUp – Save One Day per Week
ClickUp is a simple tool that covers the majority of business processes. Not only is this software suitable for billable and non-billable hours tracking, but it also offers all in one place: task management, documents management, team collaboration, and much more.
- Process management (checklist templates, multiple assignees)
- Task management (filter and search, recurring tasks, task tray, multitask toolbar)
- Automatic time capture
- Backlog management
- Billable and non-billable hours
- Time management (due dates, time estimates, timeline view)
- Billing and invoicing
- Collaboration and reporting
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Bug tracking
- Apps and devices (mobile, desktop, web, Amazon, Alexa)
ClickUp is integrated with the following apps: Slack, Everhour, Toggl, Harvest, One Drive, Outlook, Google Calendar, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and many others.
- Free forever – Unlimited tasks, five seats, 100Mb of storage
- Unlimited – $9 per member per month, paid monthly (unlimited tasks, seats, custom views, and storage)
- Business $19 per member per month, paid monthly (unlimited tasks, seats, custom views, and storage)
- Enterprise –you’ll need to contact the ClickUp sales team to get the details on the plan
If you pay annually, you’ll save 45%. ClickUp can be paid via a credit card, while enterprise orders can be paid with a bank transfer.
5. Due Time Tracking – Accurate Billing and Productivity Booster
Tracking of billable and total hours is a core feature of this tool. With Due Time Tracking, you can maximize your team’s productivity and make accurate billing. The software provides a lot of benefits, such as tracking the duration of each project, building trust with your customers based on fair invoicing, speed in bill preparation, complete payments, and more.
- Complete payment solutions
- Hours tracking
- On line invoicing management
- Digital wallet and credit card processing
Pricing plans aren’t publicly available.
6. Nexonia Expenses – Automated Timesheets
Nexonia Expenses is a very simple cloud-based app for expense tracking and timesheets.
This employee timesheet solution keeps your team’s time and expenses under control, enables integration with your ERP, and eliminates the need for manual reporting and compliance.
With Nexonia Expenses, you can track billable time against projects and rates, and export them into the ERP or billing platform.
- Effortless time tracking from anywhere, including time off
- Task tracking
- Mobile and desktop access
- Rapid deployment
- Expense management
- Insightful reporting
- Account receivable tracing
The prices are not available on the Nexonia Expenses website.
7. Accelo – Profitability and Productivity Improvement Tool
This tool is primarily focused on sales and billing processes. It can help you unify your tasks, maximize billable time, control your workflow, and effectively utilize your resources.
Accelo is integrated with leading platforms, such as Quickbooks, Mailchimp, Slack, PayPal, Hubspot, Stripe, Salesforce, and many others.
- Project planning, tracking, and collaboration
- Billable and non-billable time tracking with an automated timesheet system
- Expenses management
- Cloud-based ServOps
- Invoicing (synchronized with Xero and Quickbooks) task management and team scheduling with automated notification
Pricing starts at $39 per user per month for annual license payment.
You can also try Accelo free for 14 days.
8. actiTime – Record Work Hours and Keep Everything on Track
actiTime is a perfect online platform that enables you to record team hours and keeps everything on track in your company. actiTime is a simple cloud-based solution that is focused on time tracking and task progress management.
The onboarding is effortless and comes with full tutorial options, making it easy to track hours and deadlines for each task.
You can create new projects in the actiTime intuitive interface for each client. Moreover, you can create specific tasks within projects. There are also different types of tasks and time reviews (kanban view vs. list).
- Time-track — tracking hours per customers, projects, and tasks (time entries, view, lock and approve option)
- Simple timesheet tracking (daily or weekly timesheet reviews)
- Work assignment management
- Project team organization (Kanban board)
Prices are defined according to the number of users:
- 1–40 users — $7 per user per month (billed monthly)
- 41–200 users — $6 per user per month (billed monthly)
- 200+ users — fixed price
There are also discounts of up to 15% for annual license payments.
Thousands of companies around the world use actiTime: Siemens, Johnson Electrics, Dell, Xerox, Cisco, and others.
The company offers a fully functional trial version with unlimited users for 30 days.
9. Everhour – Accurate Time Tracker for Budgeting, Client Invoicing and Painless Payroll
Everhour is a cloud-based solution that provides easy billable hours tracking, tasks, projects management, and invoicing. The software is integrated with Asana, Trello, Basecamp, Jira, ClickUp, GitHub, Pivotal, and Slack.
- Budgeting and time billing – easy to use project billing to the clients and tracking project progress in real-time
- Time tracking – track billable and non-billable hours with deep insight on time allocation per tasks and breaks for each team member
- Task management –organize and track all created tasks per projects
- Expenses controlling –track the direct expenses of each employee per different projects
- Reporting – detailed reports and dashboard for time utilization, billable hours, and project budgets
- Billing based on time –create accurate invoices with minimal effort
Pricing starts at $10 per user per month (or $8 in case you purchase an annual license). The minimum fee is $50.
The company offers a fully functional two-week free trial.
10. Flowlu – Business Management Software
Flowlu is the perfect online invoicing software that allows you to make transparent and accurate invoices and online payments. The online platform also provides automated invoices that include billable hours for your team.
- Invoice management – the platform allows you to share and send an invoice to clients, and create different invoice templates and recurring invoices (with predefined invoice approval)
- Time tracking –tack how many hours your team spends on each task, calculate billable hours, and invoice customers automatically
- Online payments –various payment gateways available
- Project and task management
- Full reporting – Flowlu provides many reports including simple graphs
- Free plan (limited to two users and one GB of storage)
- Team — $39 per month (limited to eight users and ten GB of storage)
- Business — $74 per month (limited to 16 users and 50 GB of storage)
- Professional — $149 per month (limited to 25 users and 100 GB of storage)
- Enterprise — $249 per month (unlimited users and 1000 GB of storage)
You can get a 20% discount if you decide on an annual payment.
A 14-day free trial is available upon sign-up.
11. Hourly – Recording of Billable Hours
Hourly is a simple and intuitive app that helps you track the time and expenses of people, projects, and clients.
You can integrate Hourly with Trello, Xero, Slack, Asana, Jira, Messenger, Microsoft Teams, and Skype.
- Fast and easy time entries
- Comprehensive timesheets
- Expenses allocation to the project
- Project and clients management
- Insightful reports with time metrics
- Billing based on billable hours tracked
- Starter (for individuals — freelancers and consultants) — $5 per user, per month
- Professional (for small to medium-sized businesses and teams) — $10 per user, per month
- Enterprise (customized solution for larger organizations) — $30 per user, per month (volume discount is available)
Hourly allows a 30-day trial period.
12. Hours Tracker – Manage Time and Jobs in a Few Taps
Hours Tracker is a very simple mobile app that you can download from the Apple store. However, a desktop version isn’t available. The app provides easily billable hours tracking. You can see your timesheets by day, week, or month. The app also calculates pay periods, as well as overtime pay, and pay estimates.
Working in Hours Tracker, your employees will improve focus on tasks and productivity.
- Location use for time recording
- Arrival or leave notification
- Simple reporting with many filters
- Jobs management
13. Hubstaff – Leading Time Management Tool — Find and Fix Money Leaks
Hubstaff is a very simple yet comprehensive billable hours tracker with over 70 thousand active monthly users. You can automate your employees and tasks management with this platform.
Hubstaff is integrated with project management apps such as Asana, ActiveCollab, ClickUp, Breeze, Jira, Paymo, Trello, Wrike, Zoho projects, etc. Besides, the platform also integrates with accounting and invoicing apps such as Freshbooks, Quickbooks, Payoneer, PayPal, and Gusto.
- Central dashboard (track activity and work time, view locations, run payroll, set budgets)
- Billable and non-billable time tracking
- Online timesheets with detailed time records spent on projects (including timesheets approvals and time off recording)
- Work tracking based on custom locations
- Employee monitoring, screenshots, tracking employees’ apps and URLs
- GPS tracking
- Projects budgeting
- Payroll management and payments
- Job and task assignments and monitoring and employee scheduling
- Accurate and automatic online invoicing
- Productivity manager
- Free – limited to one user
- Basic — $7 per month, per user if billed monthly ($5.83 if billed annually)
- Premium — $10 per month, per user if billed monthly ($8.33 if billed annually)
- Enterprise — $20 per month, per user if billed monthly ($16.67 if billed annually)
If you want to try Hubstaff, you can try the 14-day trial version.
14. Streamtime – Job Tracking in Real-Time
Streamtime is a seamless time-tracking tool with a flexible interface and visual schedules.
Streamtime allows project and team management, job planning, work hours tracking, scheduling, invoicing. and reporting.
The platform is integrated with Xero, Quickbooks, Zapier, and many more apps.
- Time tracking
- Quoting (team plan transformation into quotes)
- Visual scheduling team task and job planning
- Collaboration (write comments and keep your team posted)
- Kanban board for tasks and projects
- iOS app
- Option one – fixed price by agreement with the sales team
- Option two — $40 per user, per month
There’s also a free 30-day trial.
15. Timeular – Unlock Your Time
Track where your team’s time really goes with this intuitive app. Timeular allows you to improve your employees’ productivity and potential. So, how does it work?
- STEP 1: Assign – crate team, projects, and tasks in the app and customize the workflow
- STEP 2: Track – use the tracker to start recording the billable hours
- STEP 3: Report – get insight reports
Timeular is available on macOS, Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS, and is integrated into Zapier, Jira, Harvest, and Toggl.
- Hours tracking (set activities and tasks, create teams, projects, get valuable reports, see where your time goes, and export your timesheets)
- Employee tracking (track, analyze your team’s tasks and actions, assign activities to the employees)
- Workflow automation
- Excellent analytics of billable and non-billable hours
- six-month license — $79
- 12-month license $129
- Lifetime deal —$249
16. Qlaqs Timesheet Pro – Time Management — iOS
Qlaqs Timesheet Pro is a very simple mobile billable hours tracking app. This app is available only on Apple’s App Store. With Timesheet Pro, you can track time across teams, projects, and clients, as well as work tasks on iPhone, iPad, or PC. The platform contains many types of timesheets for clients and employees.
- This app can be used for an unlimited number of tasks and clients
- Billable hours tracking in different ways (use the stopwatch with a start/stop function, log time manually for projects, tasks, or clients, edit time records editing)
- Export timesheets to PDF, CSV, Excel
- Tag fiction for billable and non-billable hours
- Excellent view of active clients, projects, and tasks, as well as archived time views
- Hourly rates management
- Time rounding
- GPS tracking
- Easy and intuitive interface
Pricing starts at $3.99.
17. Timewerks – Mobile App for iOS
Teamwerks is a mobile app for billable time tracking and invoicing available only for iPhone and iPad.
Since this is a mobile app, you can download it from the Apple Store for free.
18. Dovico – Work Hours Tracking, Bill All the Time You Work
Dovico is a modern hour tracking cloud-based platform with many useful features. This tool allows project time and costs management tracking with perfect online timesheets for employees.
When you log in you’ll see the interface with structured entry fields. You should fill in the project name, client name, and other data, such as employee name, pay rate, overtime pay rate, and project hourly rates. After the initial set-up of employees, clients, and projects, you can start with managing your workflow.
- Employee time tracking by client, project, or task
- Timesheet management
- Labor costs and expense management
- Billable and non-billable hours management
- Reporting and notifications
- Vacation and time off tracking
- Mobile time tracking
- Multiple billing rates and currencies
- Project resource planning
- DCAA Compliant
Starter — for up to five users and ten projects
Basic — $8 per user, per month
Professional — $15 per user, per month ($13.5 for annual payments)
Premium — $21 per user, per month ($18.90 for annual payments)
Why is it so important to record your billable hours?
Although service companies sell a significant number of various services to their clients, they sell only one product in the bottom line. That is a billable hour.
A billable hour multiplied by rate gives a service fee. The calculation is very simple, but what is behind it? Why do you need to have reliable metrics?
As the example below shows, the company provides services to 10 customers and achieves $878k of profit at the aggregate level.
But after a deep insight, we conclude that some are loss-generating clients. The total loss of those three clients is $150K. With this fact the company is sure about three points:
- If those clients weren’t strategically important, the company would generate a $1,028K profit.
- The company can replace those three clients during the time with new profitable clients.
- This is a sign that the company should reconsider the productivity of employees involved in loss-generating clients (causes for the loss made).
The main question is: how to calculate the exact profit and loss per each client?
It’s impossible to calculate the cost of engagement if you don’t have the employee billable hours tracking per client and cost rate per employee.
Accordingly, a good billable hours tracker should track employee billable and total time per project and client. By multiplying hours tracked with each employee’s cost rate, software should automatically calculate the cost of each project or engagement. The revenue is easier for assessment. You can simply list your invoices or total changed fees to the client.
Besides, with clear insight into time consumption, you evaluate employees, track cost and ROI of internal projects, discover reasons for overtime, and prepare fair and accurate invoices.
Tracking billable hours should help companies manage their KPIs and make smart decisions.
Key Features of Billable Hours Apps
Based on the all above, an excellent billable time tracker should provide at least:
- Tracking of employees’ billable and non-billable hours per projects and clients
- Timesheet management
- Tracking of the expense of each client engagement and projects
- Time utilization measurement
- Accurate data for billable hours invoicing
- Intuitive interface for time and task tracking
Summary of the best billable hours tracker
FREE 60-day trial – no credit card required