Looking for a billable hours tracking solution that can help you identify missing billable hours and increase profitability? Need to track each minute of billable work for the client and stop losing money?
There’s a wide range of billable hour trackers on the market, all with different options, pricing, and integrations. Hence your decision on which to choose can be difficult.
Reviewing all of them and choosing just one can feel overwhelming.
But don’t worry, we’ve shortlisted 10 of the best hours trackers to help you choose the right one for you.
A Snapshot of the Best Billable Hours Trackers
Best For: Profitability improvement
Starting Price: $4.99 per user per month
Best For: Cost-effective projects
Starting Price: $7 per user per month
Best For: Remote and On-site Teams
Starting Price: $7 per user per month
Best For: Automatic time tracking
Starting Price: $9 per user per month
Best For: GPS tracking, construction teams
Starting Price: $7 per user per month
Best For: Budgeting, client invoicing and payroll
Starting Price: $6 per user per month
Best For: Track project time and costs
Starting Price: $10 per user per month
Best For: For teams of all types
Starting Price: $9 per user / month
Best For: For lawyers
Starting Price: $39 per user / month
Best For: Client work management
Starting Price: $24 per user, per month
Best for billing efficiency and productivity tracking
A. Time tracking
This feature helps service professionals to track billable and non-billable time and increase billing efficiency:
- Time tracking on tasks, project, clients by running timer
- Add time manually
- Edit billable vs non-billable activities
- Daily or calendar workspace view
- Billing rates
- Cost rates (labor and overhead)
- Automatic cost allocation to the projects
- Time-off tracking of (vacation, daily breaks etc..)
B. Actionable reports of projects performance
- Insight in billable hours and non-billable hours per clients and services
- Time utilization reporting
- Hourly based revenue and profit reporting
C. Team productivity and efficiency reporting
- Timesheets: Review, edit, filtering and export
- Reporting on billable hours and time utilization for each employee
- Visual reporting and dashboards
D. Create transparent and accurate invoices
- Review billable hours for each client for each task
- Export invoice to the Excel and make final adjustments
- 50+ written articles
- In-app chat
- In-app tutorials
- Email support
- Booking 1:1 live demo
- Data hosted in leading cloud service provider – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Hosting of the SaaS application in a Privacy Shield Certified or ISO 27001 certified data center.
- Amazon Web Services ISO 27001 Compliance
- Encryption with SSL encryption (HTTPS)
- Data back-ups every day
Time analytics offers two plans:
- Starter: $4.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $5.99 (billed monthly)
- Optimum: $6.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $8.45 (billed monthly)
- Free trial: 14 days
- Credit card requirement during the trial: No
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a 30% off discount.
Pros of Time Analytics
- Ease of use
- Simple interface with daily or weekly workspace view
- Powerful reporting for team, projects, clients and activities
- Detailed timesheets
Cons of Time analytics
- The mobile app is still under development
- No freemium plan
- No time budgeting (under development)
Track Time for Easy Billing and Other Benefits
Amberlo is a billable time tracker primarily suitable for law firms, but it can be used across the entire service industry.
Amberlo is a tool for managing time and tasks that allow you to focus on essential matters. Besides recording billable hours and time-billing solutions, this time-tracking tool provides more options for managing the entire business.
The software has ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27017 certifications, which is proof of security. Amberlo also uses SSL for encrypting all network traffic.
- Track billable time and expenses
- Legal billing
- Manage contacts
- Manage documents
- Manage Rates
- Manage email
- Trusted accounting — account balances for every client and matter
- Grow — € 39 per user/month when billed annually, and €35 when billed monthly
- Premium — € 55 per user/month when billed annually, or €45, when billed monthly
- Enterprise – custom pricing
- A seven-day free trial is also available.
- Very good and effective tool
- Easy access into a database
- Easy to understand how many billable hours are there for specific matters and clients
- The necessity of developing a mobile application
- Missing document integration with google drive or Dropbox
- Confusing billing options
Best for full project planning and tracking
ClickUp is a simple billable hours tracker app that covers the majority of useful business processes. Not only is this software suitable for billable and non-billable hours tracking, but it also offers: task management, documents management, team collaboration, and much more–all in one place.
- Manage processes (checklist templates, multiple assignees)
- Manage tasks (filter and search, recurring tasks, task tray, multitask toolbar)
- Automatic time capture
- Manage backlog
- Billable and non-billable hours
- Manage employee time (due dates, time estimates, timeline view)
- Billing and invoicing
- Collaboration and reporting
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Bug tracking
- Use as an app or on devices (mobile, desktop, web, Amazon, Alexa)
ClickUp is integrated with the following apps: Slack, Everhour, Toggl, Harvest, One Drive, Outlook, Google Calendar, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and many others.
- Free forever – Unlimited tasks, five seats, 100Mb of storage
- Unlimited – $9 per member per month, paid monthly (unlimited tasks, seats, custom views, and storage)
- Business $19 per member per month, paid monthly (unlimited tasks, seats, custom views, and storage)
- Enterprise –you’ll need to contact the ClickUp sales team to get the details on the plan
If you pay annually, you’ll save 45%. ClickUp can be paid via a credit card, while enterprise orders can be paid with a bank transfer.
- Simplicity and functionality
- A lot of customization features
- Multiple views give each person the ability to view content in the format that suits them best
- The need to work on improving the mobile application
- The subscription cost is a little bit too high.
- There is a disconnect between Goals (or KPIs) and the tasks associated with them
Best for Automating Professional Service Operations
This billable time tracker primarily focuses on sales and billing processes. It can help you unify your tasks, maximize billable time, control your workflow, and effectively utilize your resources.
Accelo is integrated with leading platforms, such as Quickbooks, Mailchimp, Slack, PayPal, Hubspot, Stripe, Salesforce, and many others.
- Project planning, tracking, and collaboration
- Software that tracks billable and non-billable time with an automated timesheet system
- Manage Expenses
- Cloud-based ServOps
- Invoicing (synchronized with Xero and Quickbooks)
- Manage tasks and team scheduling with automated notification
Plus – $24 per user per month for annual license payment.
Premium – $39 per user per month for annual license payment.
You can also try Accelo free for 14 days.
- Fast responding in case you have any questions or issues
- The ability to just submit a time if you forgot to start the timer
- The onboarding and training is exceptional
- The search option is limited to Subject/Title
- Not able to easily move tasks to a new retainer period
- The interface doesn’t refresh itself when renaming a task
Time Tracking Software for cost-effective projects
actiTime is a perfect online platform that allows you to record team hours, and keeps everything on track in your company. actiTime is a simple cloud-based solution that is focused on tracking time and task progress management.
The onboarding is effortless and comes with full tutorial options, making it easy to track billable hours and deadlines for each task.
actiTime allows you to create layers of projects. You can create new projects in the actiTime intuitive interface for each client, and you can create specific tasks within projects. There are also different types of tasks and time reviews (kanban view vs. list).
- Track time — tracking hours per customers, projects, and tasks (time entries, view, lock and approve option)
- Simple timesheet tracking (daily or weekly timesheet reviews)
- Manage work assignments
- Organize project teams (Kanban board)
Prices are defined according to the number of users:
- 1–40 users — $7 per user per month (billed monthly)
- 41–200 users — $6 per user per month (billed monthly)
- 200+ users — fixed price
There are also discounts of up to 15% for annual license payments.
Thousands of companies around the world use actiTime: Siemens, Johnson Electrics, Dell, Xerox, Cisco, and others.
The company offers a fully functional trial version with unlimited users for 30 days.
- Analyzing the cost of various work activities
- Collect data using useful reporting tools
- Having a follow-up time on a weekly timesheet
- The free version has certain limited or unavailable functions
- A menu isn’t easy to understand
- This program has an obsolete design
Accurate Time Tracker for Budgeting, Client Invoicing and Painless Payroll
Everhour is a cloud-based billable hours tracker app that allows you to easily track billable hours and tasks, and manage projects and invoicing. The software is integrated with Asana, Trello, Basecamp, Jira, ClickUp, GitHub, Pivotal, and Slack.
- Easily track real-time project progress and client billing
- Track billable and non-billable hours with deep insight on time allocation per tasks and breaks for each team member
- Task management –organize and track all created tasks per project
- Manage expenses –track the direct expenses of each employee per different projects
- Reporting – detailed reports and dashboard for time utilization, billable hours, and project budgets
- Billing based on time –create accurate invoices with minimal effort
- Lite – $6 per user per month with a minimum of 2 users
- Team – $10 per user per month with a minimum of 5 users
The company offers a fully functional two-week free trial.
- Simple and intuitive interface
- Solid integrations with task management software
- Responsive and provides the right level of functionality
- Unable to create invoices and bill client
- The time approval feature has caused some glitches
- The pricing model is a little expensive
Best for large teams and enterprises
Hubstaff is a very simple yet comprehensive billable hours tracker with over 70 thousand active monthly users. You can automate your employees and tasks management with this platform.
Hubstaff is integrated with project management apps such as Asana, ActiveCollab, ClickUp, Breeze, Jira, Paymo, Trello, Wrike, Zoho projects, etc. In addition, the platform also integrates with accounting and invoicing apps such as Freshbooks, Quickbooks, Payoneer, PayPal, and Gusto.
- Central dashboard (track activity and work time, view locations, run payroll, set budgets)
- Billable and non-billable time tracking
- Online timesheets with detailed time records perproject(including timesheets approvals and time off recording)
- Work tracking based on custom locations
- Employee monitoring, screenshots, tracking employees’ apps and URLs
- GPS tracking
- Project budgeting
- Payroll management and payments
- Job and task assignments and monitoring
- Employee Scheduling
- Accurate and automatic online invoicing
- Productivity manager
- Free – limited to one user
- Basic — $7 per month, per user if billed monthly ($5.83 if billed annually)
- Premium — $10 per month, per user if billed monthly ($8.33 if billed annually)
- Enterprise — $20 per month, per user if billed monthly ($16.67 if billed annually)
If you want to try Hubstaff, you can try the 14-day trial version. Check out what is included in each Hubstaff pricing plan.
- Encouraging emails on days when your activity is high
- The activity/screen tracking makes the process of managing a large remote workforce
- It is straightforward to use
- Payroll integration is a bit messy
- Tracking status notifications are sent twice instead of once.
- It doesn’t have the option to track overtime easily
Best for automatic time tracking
Track where your team’s time really goes with this intuitive app. Timeular is a billable time tracker that allows you to improve your employees’ productivity and potential in 3 easy steps:
- STEP 1: Assign – create teams, projects, and tasks in the app and customize the workflow
- STEP 2: Track – use the tracker to start recording the billable hours
- STEP 3: Report – get insight reports
Timeular is available on macOS, Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS, and is integrated into Zapier, Jira, Harvest, and Toggl.
- Hours- time tracking (set activities and tasks, create teams, projects, get valuable reports, see where your time goes, and export your timesheets)
- Employee tracking (track, analyze your team’s tasks and actions, assign activities to the employees)
- Workflow automation
- Excellent analytics of billable and non-billable hours
- Personal – $9 per month
- Personal pro – $14 per month
- The app is well designed
- It’s easy to use and syncs easily through different devices
- Super easy transition to incorporate into the daily work routine.
- The application versions on the phone do not respond correctly
- It needs an improvement on the reporting function
- Too basic app
Best for simple time tracking
Dovico is a modern hour tracking cloud-based platform with many useful features. This billable hours tracker app allows project time and costs management tracking with perfect online timesheets for employees.
When you log in you’ll see the interface with structured entry fields. You should fill in the project name, client name, and other data, such as employee name, pay rate, overtime pay rate, and project hourly rates. After the initial set-up of employees, clients, and projects, you can start with managing your workflow.
- Employee time tracking by client, project, or task
- Timesheet management
- Labor costs and expense management
- Billable and non-billable hours management
- Reporting and notifications
- Vacation and time off tracking
- Mobile time tracking
- Multiple billing rates and currencies
- Project resource planning
- DCAA Compliant
- Basic — $10 per user, per month ($9 for annual payments)
- Professional — $17 per user, per month ($15.30 for annual payments)
- Premium — custom pricing
- Adding multiple projects under one profile
- Ability to create different timesheets for different projects
- Easy access from any browser
- The price is a bit high
- Difficult to edit the timesheets once they are submitted
- There’s no mobile or desktop component for tracking start/stop events for projects
Track Work Hours and Monitor Employees Ethically
When you need to track your employee’s time without harming their privacy, your best bet is to use Traqq. As soon as the user clicks Start, this app records their billable hours automatically. What’s more, it ensures accountability by taking random screenshots and video recordings of a user’s desktop. Even so, Traqq still promotes ethical employee monitoring. The tool reduces the quality of the images to an extent that would prevent sensitive data from becoming legible.
- Smart alerts and notifications that will get you on track when you forget to activate the timer
- Works both online and offline, syncing data once the internet connection is restored
- Automated screenshots and 10-second video recordings
- Promotes ethical monitoring by reducing the quality of collected screenshots and video clips
- Detailed performance statistics and timesheets
- App and website monitoring to identify common time wasters
- Flexible individual and team reporting options
- Premium Starter – Free for up to three seats
- Premium Teams – $6 per seat, per month
- Enterprise – Customized package available for over 100 seats
- Easy to use
- The dashboards breaking down employee activity
- The interface is user-friendly
- The ability to switch between projects
- Absence tracker per project
- Exporting screenshots isn’t available with the report
Need Help Choosing the Right Billable hour tracker?
How to choose the best solution? Test, test, test, and find which of the above tools works best!
In our opinion, you can’t miss these features:
- Track billable hours across projects and clients
- Option to mark time as billable when tracking
- Change time entries status from billable to non-billable and vice versa
- Reporting billable hours per team member for all projects and tasks
- Reporting billable hours per client
- Time utilization insights
- Labor rates, billing rates
- Automatic cost allocation to the projects
- Security standards
- Support options
- Export all tasks and services per hour for billing
If you want to try Time Analytics you can create your account in one minute and try everything through your 14-day trial version.
Make sure our team will help you decide if that is a good option for you. You can use the in-app chat option, email support, or book 30 minutes live demo.
Jelena has a Master’s Degree in teaching Serbian literature and language. Creative writing is her biggest passion.