With the events of last year, a large number of companies has transferred to remote work. This made a lot of them realize a simple truth. Namely, you can’t understand your business if you don’t know how your team works. That’s why many businesses are on the lookout for a great hours tracker app.
We searched the internet for the best solutions. Hopefully, it will help you choose the best app to track work hours and push your company to the next level.
List of the best apps to keep track of work hours
1. Time Analytics
Even though this platform is one of the newcomers to the game, it is rapidly gaining traction. The secret? The app’s intuitive interface allows anyone to use it easily, no matter their level of computer skill. Additionally, besides simply tracking time, the app also creates insightful reports for the employer.
- Simple timesheets – tracking time without tracking efficiency doesn’t make sense, and Time Analytics allows you to do both at the same time
- Real-time performance tracking – a simple set of dashboards allows you to identify the exact points you need to pay more attention to
- Client monitoring – sometimes the biggest problems don’t come from your company, but your clients instead
- Project management – understand the cost and profit of every project you take on and learn how to negotiate your future jobs
- Clear interface – tracking hours takes only a few minutes of your employees’ day and still manages to deliver all important data
Free plan – for teams of up to five people
Starter – $4.99 per user per month
Optimum – $6.99 per user per month
Premium – $12.99 per user per month
DeskTime is an hours tracking app that relies on an automatic timer. The platform is aimed at companies and freelancers alike. Its purpose is to help users organize and understand their work habits better.
- Time management – whether your employees are working or on a leave – you’ll know it
- Automated hours tracking – forget about forgetfulness with a fully automatic counter
- Activity insights – see which apps and websites your employees use while at work
- Idle time tracking – find out when your employees aren’t being productive
- Screenshot monitoring – get screenshots of your employees’ monitors
Lite – free (basic features)
Pro – $5.97 per user per month
Premium – $7.77 per user per month
Enterprise – $11.93 per user per month
HoursTracker takes a more modern approach to time tracking, as the platform is available exclusively on mobile. This makes it very popular with younger users. However, it also offers many useful features and customization options.
- Reminders – set up reminders for the beginning and end of your shifts
- Tag system – Organize and prioritize tasks with ease
- Filtering options – navigate entries through filters you create on your own
- Customization options – add and edit jobs, tasks, and overtime in a few taps
- Jumping between jobs – a great feature for freelancers working on multiple jobs
Personal Edition – $5.99
Pro Edition – $9.99
Combining time tracking and field workforce management, ExakTime is a simple solution that offers a lot. It uses cloud-based storage, so you’ll have an overview of your employees no matter where they clock in.
- Rugged time clocks – have a physical portable tracking device directly at the site
- Hours tracking app – GPS mobile time tracking app available on Android and IOS
- Simple to use – the app works on a punch clock principle anyone can use with ease
- Analysis – get comprehensible reports and use them to improve your business
- Simple payroll – never wonder whether you’ve paid your employees accurately again
Contact ExakTime’s representatives to find out all about their pricing and trial options
Qlaqs, a German hour tracker app, combines simplicity and detailed reports. It enables users to observe their results daily and track hours very simply. The app also offers GPS tracking for a more accurate insight.
- Timesheets – track hours and create insightful reports every day
- Route – know exactly where your employees were during the day
- Scanning – submit and archive paper documents by scanning them with your phone
- Punch clock – an app that can be used as a common tracker in offices
Qlaqs lite – free
Qlaqs Pro – €5 per user per month
Are you looking for an innovative hours tracker app that will also give your employees a physical reminder to track time? Timeular comes with a handy flappable tool that differentiates between different tasks. This app is more suitable for the younger generations.
- Innovative tracking – turn the dice to switch from one task to another
- Hours tracking – track accurately to the minute for the most accurate analysis
- Project tracking – track individual projects and work on your future strategy
- Customization – use the app’s keyboard shortcuts and create your own
- Overview – see all activity in your company for optimum management
Personal tracker + Basic – $89
Personal tracker + Pro – $79 for 6 months
Team tracker + Pro – $79 per user for 6 months
TrackingTime is a high-level app to keep track of work hours. The platform’s main advantages are clarity and visual appeal without being distracting. Also, the attractive design stands in front of a powerful reporting system.
- Hours tracker – a simple one-click solution for recording hours worked
- Project management – a clearly marked board will make your work simpler
- Communication – manage entire teams working on projects together
- Timesheet – turn tracked hours into a comprehensible report
- Timecards – modernize clocking in and out through smartphones
Free basic option for up to 3 users
Pro – $7 per user per month
8. QuickBooks Time
Intuit offers many accounting software solutions, and QuickBooks Time is one of their products. This time tracking app aims to simplify the everyday task of logging hours. It also includes team management features.
- Hours tracking – clock in and record your current task with a simple click
- Schedule building – create and edit shifts through a simple interface
- Team management – keep your teams updated and remind them to clock in
- Reporting – analyze real-time data through interactive visual reports
- Time Kiosk – let all your employees clock in from a single device
Premium – $20 per month + $8 per user per month
Elite – 40 per month + $10 per user per month
Timewerks is an hour tracking and invoicing app that simplifies the practice of time tracking. It offers a simple interface with few fields which makes it very easy to use. It also uses tracked hours to build custom invoices.
- Time tracking – let your employees track their hours from anywhere
- Project and client tracking – learn about the inner workings of your business
- Expense management – track billable hours, materials, and other expenses
- Fee management – calculate how much you should charge for different types of jobs
- Device storage – you don’t need an internet connection to use the app
Lite – free
Classic – $4.99 per user per month
Pro – $9.99 per user per month
10. Open Time Clock
One of the old favorites, Time Clock Software remains reliable and precise. Tracking hours through this app is extremely secure since there are multiple identification options. It also allows you to track different jobs and schedule shifts.
- Hours tracking – track time from anywhere and know what your employees are up to
- Identification – the software offers multiple identification options, including facial recognition
- Job tracking – track progress and costs of every task your company is working on
- Scheduling – organize shifts and be notified if an employee is late
- Calculating time off – know how much time off every employee has left
Paid plan – $25 per month per company
Custom plan – price varies
No information available
Replicon is an hour tracker app that focuses on time and resource management. Accuracy is one of the software’s main advantages both when it comes to data and time tracking. The purpose of the data is to help you make lucrative decisions.
- Time tracking – ensures that every minute spent on a task is accounted for
- Reporting – time tracking data turns into many useful metrics that help you manage
- Integration – Replicon can merge with the tools you’re already using
- Project tracking – track both the time and resources needed for any project
- Attendance records – figure out your payroll accurately and with ease
TimeBill Quick Start – $60 per month for up to 5 users: $10 per additional user
TimeBill Plus – $22 per user per month
Additional features are charged separately
TimeTrack is a time tracking application, and its target users are freelancers, small and medium businesses. It eases the burden of planning projects and offers an insight into project performance. Additionally, it is also possible to track time offline.
- Time tracking – time counter web and mobile app that syncs in real-time
- Project planning – budget and plan the time needed for any job
- Project tracking – stay up-to-date with the progress of all projects
- Detailed reports – filter through the collected data to get all the information you need
- Access possibilities – decide which employees have access to data
Lite – free
Standard – $4 per user per month
Premium – $8 per user per month
Gold – $10 per user per month
ATracker is an hours tracker app available on Android and iOS devices. The app relies on a simple time logging principle anyone can use. It offers reminders and timers, as well as a web portal as an additional feature.
- Time tracking – effortless and minimalistic multifunctional time tracker
- Current overviews – see your daily activities through the Today tab
- Reports – transform all data into reports that will point you further in your business
- Entry organization – group tasks by tags for an easier navigation
- Alarms – never forget a task or a deadline again with this useful feature
iOS version – $2.99
Android version – $4.99
Web portal feature – $2.99 per month
Timely is a time tracker app that still ensures a great level of user privacy. The tracking system itself is simple and completely automatized. The platform also drafts reports automatically according to the tracked hours.
- Hours tracking – track time automatically and add any details you need
- Project overview – see real-time data and plan your strategy accordingly
- Team tracking – make sure your employees get a breather when they need to
- Reports – analyze any criteria to increase your company’s progress
- Transparency – receive all the information about the current state of your business
Starter – $10 per user per month
Premium – $18 per user per month
Unlimited – $26 per user per month
There is an additional option for a custom plan to suit your specific needs.
15. Virtual TimeClock
Virtual TimeClock takes a different approach to business, as the app isn’t subscription-based. It is available on different platforms and devices and offers time clock services. Its simple and intuitive interface makes it very accessible.
- Timecards – timecards ensure that time reports are complete in time
- Hours tracking – measure employee time with accuracy to improve your business
- Automatic reports – never lose track of a single minute and add them up accurately
- Billable hours reports – create accurate invoices for your clients quickly
- Communication – Virtual TimeClock has a messaging system your employees can use
Basic – $99 for 1 computer and 3 employees
Pro – $195 for 1 computer and unlimited employees
Network – the price depends on the number of devices
16. Due Time Tracking
Due Time Tracker is an hours tracker app that helps users track the time needed for project completion. It tracks the time of all employees and makes sure all labor laws are at work. Productivity and business enhancement are the main focus of the app.
- Time tracking – transparency will give you an accurate assessment of employee time
- Invoices – all data needed to create invoices is readily available at all times
- Productivity monitoring – know exactly how long it takes to finish any given job
- Track non-billable hours – understand which tasks actually bring you money
- Plan for the future – identify any hiccups and prevent them from happening in the future
Basic – free
Premium – $10 per user per month
17. Buddy Punch
Buddy punch is a time tracking tool that allows employees to clock in from anywhere. It gives the management an easy overview of attendance, overtime, and time off. The software makes payroll management straightforward.
- Hours tracking – real-time insights with a notification feature
- Absence tracking – know when your workers plan their time off, paid or unpaid
- Payroll software integrations – pay everyone exactly what they deserve on time
- Different identification methods – pin and QR codes, facial recognition, password – you choose
- Automatic breaks – create automatic breaks and schedule them for every day
Time & Attendance – $25.99 per month for up to 4 employees
Time & Attendance + Scheduling – $35.99 per month for up to 4 employees
Enterprise – $45.99 per month for up to 4 employees
TransparentBusiness is an hours tracker app geared toward remote workforces. It is cloud-based and makes overall business more transparent and accurate. The software aims to make all employees more coordinated no matter their location.
- Remote team management – stay up-to-date with the daily activities of your employees
- Payroll determination – filter your workers by education, skills, language, etc.
- Time tracking – increase the productivity of all employees by knowing what they’re up to
- Real-time reports – know exactly where you’re thriving and what needs tweaking
- Timesheets – detailed daily overviews for each employee with different filters
Business – $30 per user per month
TopTracker is a time tracking app for companies and freelancers. It aims to streamline all elements of managing a business and allow you to have a clear overview of all activities. The platform offers different privacy options as well.
- Hours tracking – a discreet time tracking app suitable for all devices
- Project management – see everything your company is working on at any moment
- Reports – learn which practices are lucrative and which ones need some adjustment
- Privacy options – choose whether to simply measure time, take screenshots, or webcam photos
- Invoicing – create accurate invoices with all hours accounted for
How to find the best app for tracking work hours?
As you know, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for the way you manage your company. No industry can move forward if no one dares to do something that defies the norm. That is why most companies conduct different experiments at some point in time. Moreover, some are constantly looking for a way to improve. That is why finding a tool that fits your needs is crucial.
This principle is especially important when time tracking is at stake. This practice in and of itself isn’t useful except if you are looking for a tool only to keep your employees at bay. However, this isn’t enough to reach the full potential of tracking hours. That is why there isn’t a single best hour tracking app that will fit every company.
Where to start
The best results come from using all features a time tracking platform offers. That is why you should consider the results you want before actually choosing the tool. Of course, the first thing you should consider is the size of your organization and the budget you can set aside for this purpose. If you are a freelancer or an SMB owner just starting to track time, using a free app to track employee hours, or a free trial of a paid option may be a good idea. Of course, you can also upgrade later.
The idea that should lead you is to meet your needs effortlessly. In other words, you should get all the data you need for improving your business. This means different things for different organizations. It is better to get a simple tracker with fewer features than an unnecessarily complicated one for some businesses. On the other hand, some companies really need many features or a specific design of the interface.
The market for time tracking tools is extremely healthy. This means that there are many options to choose from. Hence, you also need to think about which app would be the best fit for your long-term plans. That is why it is important to do your due diligence and consider multiple options before making your choice.
How to use hours tracker app?
You need to understand that an hour tracking app is only as useful as you make it. Flashy features you will never use will probably mean a higher price and proportionally lower functionality. The same can be said about the design of the app. Finally, you need to consider the average age and computer skills within your company.
To put it simply – don’t get carried away and get something you won’t get to use in its entirety. Look for an app that will give you the data you’ll be able to turn into valuable insights and change your practices accordingly.
Rather than choosing the most appealing or popular option, it is more important to know how to keep track of hours worked to propel you forward. So, even before you start, you should learn all about the best practices for time tracking.
Start managing your time
FREE 14-day trial – no credit card required