When the law firm is growing it faces essential challenges that cannot be managed appropriately in most cases. Crucial challenges are usually the following:
- Partners do not have enough time for strategically thinking
- In the growing process, partners do not have reliable insight into how many hours their associates spent on different tasks and clients
- Lack of information about time utilization, attorney’s productivity, and profitability per clients
- Partners are not skilled in economics and KPI management
- Managers ( and senior associates) do not invest the required time in the leadership skills and business development
- Controlling and budgeting function is not properly implemented
- Senior associates waste their time, but it cannot be efficiently controlled by Partners.
Law firm time tracking app as key infrastructure for growth and quality!
Timesheet (time tracking) software for lawyers is a solution for the development of the work productivity of attorneys and the profitability of projects and clients. Attorney time tracking app should automatically provide the answers to some crucial questions:
- Are my attorneys working efficiently?
- How much time do they spend on each task?
- How to control and improve the lawyer’s productivity?
- What is the structure of billable and non-billable time?
- What is time utilization per lawyers and projects?
- How to allocate costs to each client and
- How to calculate profit per client?
The list of the time tracking solutions suitable for attorneys
1. Time Analytics – billable hours tracker for attorneys
Time Analytics is an easy to use timesheet tracker. The main benefit of this time tracking solution is the improvement of profitability, efficiency, and productivity. Time Analytics helps law firm partners to:
- Discover where total time is going and what is the quality of time engaged
- Stop to lose billable hours
- Identify an area where increasing fees of termination of a contract with a client make a financial sense
- Make sure that the right people are working on the right clients
- Identify strengthens and weaknesses of each attorney with accurate measurement of their work
- Download attorney timesheet templates in Microsoft excel and prepares various custom reports
- Billable hours vs. non-billable hours tracking per people, projects, and clients
- Comprehensive timesheets for lawyers
- Live dashboard for partners showing movement in total hours, billable hours, and time utilization
- Productivity management: employee evaluation with time and cost tracking per each task, project, or client
- Invoicing assistant – with a list of all tasks done for clients with description, billable time, and rates Time Analytics ensures accurate and transparent invoicing
- Client reporting: an overview of total hours and expenses related to certain client
For up to 5 users and 30 clients/projects, this attorney time tracking software is free forever. Other pricing plans include:
- Starter 4.99 USD per user, per month (limited to 15 users and 150 clients)
- Optimum: 6.99 USD per user, per month
- Premium: 12.99 USD per user, per month
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a special pricing discount.
The trial period is 60 days. Time Analytics does not require a credit card in the trial period.
2. Desk Time – Automatic time tracking software for teams and freelancers
This solution is perfect for lawyer time tracking. Desktime helps companies to boost their productivity, minimize business losses, and to be more organized.
With this time tracking tool, you can plan and create attorney’s shifts, manage attorney’s absences, manage their productivity, see who is working on what and for how long, and much more.
- Automatic time tracking
- Offline time tracking
- Private time option
- Project tracking
- Document title tracking
- Cost calculation
- Custom reports
- Third-party integration
Pricing depends on the user number. With more users, prices are decreasing. In general, this time tracking solution offers the following plans (prices are given for ten users subscribed):
- Free – (one user only)
- Pro – 6 USD per user, per month (billed monthly) or 5.5 USD per user, per month (billed annually)
- Premium (most popular) – 7.8 USD per user, per month (billed monthly) or 7.2 USD per user, per month (billed annually)
- Enterprise – 12 USD per user, per month (billed monthly) or 11 USD per user, per month (billed annually)
The trial period is 14 days
3. Myhours – Organize, track and report
My hours is all in one time tracking software suitable for legal practice. This time tracking solution for attorneys can help law firms to coordinate projects and tasks, track hours, and create reports for clients. My hours provide an intuitive interface for filling tasks and time for attorneys and offer insightful timesheets.
- Coordinate a team, projects, and tasks with excellent timesheets
- Work hours and expenses tracking (per clients, projects, and tasks)
- Tracking project profitability
- Advanced time analytics and reporting
The free version is available for teams that just getting started with time tracking. Within the free version, there is no limitation in terms of team members or projects.
The paid version starts with 7 EUR per month, per user.
A 30 day trial period is offered. No credit card is required.
4. Chrometa – be paid for every minute you work
Chrometa is an excellent Time Tracking solution for Attorneys. This solution automatically allocates hours to projects keywords, email addresses, and phone numbers. Besides, Chrometa helps law firms monitor budgets and project time, improve team productivity and minimize admin costs.
- Automated time tracking
- Automated work tagging
- Time management
- Project management
- Integrated with 50+ apps
- Standard – 19 USD per month, per user
- Plus – 29 USD per month, per user
- Premium – 49 USD per month, per user
30 days is offered.
5. Timely – Easy to use time tracking app
Timely is trusted law firm time tracking software that automates time recording. With timely, each team member can focus on work that matters. Timely is a user-friendly and remote-ready solution with high privacy protection.
- Track time – Automated time tracking
- Track team – Monitor employee capacity, hours, and overtime
- Track projects – Plan, collaborate and organize projects effectively
- Project and team planning – Plan and schedule all resource from one place
- Integration with other solution such as Asana, Trello, Jira, Toggl, Zappier, Google calendar, and many others
- Starter – 10 USD per month, per user (limited to 3 teams and 50 projects tracking)
- Premium – 18 USD per month, per user (unlimited projects and teams)
- Unlimited – 26 USD per month, per user (unlimited projects, teams, features, and individual capacity)
- Unlimited + custom pricing
The trial period is 14 days. No credit card is required.
6. AccountSight – hours tracker for professional legal services
AccountSight is a time tracking and billing software for professional services companies, with complete DCAA Compliance.
This is easy to use online time tracker via any device or platform (mobile app is available for Android and IOS).
- Time tracker – intuitive and user friendly
- Expense tracker – easy and convenient
- Invoicing – flexible and elegant
- Reporting – powerful and insightful
- Project estimates – quick and professional
- Integrations – seamless and efficient
- Timesheet integration with Quickbooks
Four pricing plans are available:
The trial period is available for 30 days.
7. RescueTime – Powerful time management tool
RescueTime helps law firms to learn How much their total time worth and make smart time management decisions. This hour tracker is used by millions of people and businesses worldwide.
- Automatic time tracking – time spent on apps, websites, etc
- Time reports – breakdown on where the time goes
- Productivity reports
- Project and document time tracking – track how much time is spent on each document or app
- FocusTime distraction blocker
- Weekly, monthly, and annual reports
- LITE – Fee of charge – Basic automatic time tracking
- PREMIUM – 12 USD per month
The trial period is available for 14 days.
8. Timeneye – Simple & Intelligent Time Tracking
This time tracking tool can help attorneys to save time, better project management, monitor the team, and increase productivity.
- Simply effective time tracking
- Billable hours management
- Weekly calendar view
- Budget notifications
- Roles and permissions
- Exports and imports
- Weekly email summaries
- Reports for meetings & clients
Pricing starts with 6 USD per user, per month ( paid yearly), or 7 USD per user, per month (paid monthly).
The trial period is available for 14 days, there is no need for a credit card.
9. actiTime – Time tracking software for boosting your business with intelligent data
actiTime is a very popular software among law firms. This cloud-based platform offers to track project scope, task assignments, monitoring of project’s activities and resources. With actitime, the attorneys can record their work hours manually or use the timer. The mobile app is also available.
- Project scope management and work assignment
- Recording of work hours (manually of with timer)
- Task workflow management
- Insightful reports: project performance, attorney’s outputs and results, profit
- Many customization options are available
- Cost and billing reports
- Integration Zapier and Quickbooks
- Free version comes with limited functionalities and is available for 1-3 users
- 1-40 users – $7 per user, per month, billed monthly
- 41-200 users – $6 per user, per month, billed monthly
- 200+ users – fixed costs – customized pricing
The fully functional 30-day trial is available with unlimited users.
10. TransparentBusiness – Excellent tool for remote work management
This time tracking solution ensures real-time analytics and data on the cost and the status of all projects and work tasks. TransparentBusiness reduces expenses by increasing productivity and efficiency and enables easy monitoring of your entire workforce.
- Virtual Teamroom
- Time Tracking
- Project Management and Task Management
- Progress Monitoring Tools and Screenshots
- Real Time Timesheets
- 24/7 Tech Support
- Certification in Cloudworking
- Multi-factor Authentication
- Live Activity Snapshot
- Monthly fee is 30 USD per user
- Special pricing for SME
TransparentBusiness is FREE up to 25 users until 2022
11. Amberlo – law practice management app
Amberlo is not only attorney time tracking software but a comprehensive solution for law firms. Besides time and expense tracking, legal practice solution provide a lot of managerial tools and features. Amerlo offers many options starting with onboarding new clients, automatically recording every minute worked, billing, and client emailing.
- Time & Expense Tracking
- Contact Management
- Matter Management
- Legal Calendaring
- Legal Billing
- Email Management
- Document Management
- Trust Accounting
- Grow – €25 Per user/month, when billed annually. €30, when billed monthly
- Premium – €35 Per user/month, when billed annually. €40, when billed monthly.
- Elite – €55 Per user/month, when billed annually. €70, when billed monthly.
The trial period is available for 7 days.
12. TMetric – time tracking app excellent for legal business
TMetric is a straightforward time tracking app that supports businesses to grow, increase their profit and easily manage a workforce. This time tracking app you will learn what services bring more profits and what clients are of bigger importance. TMetric is available on most popular platforms such as macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Time tracking (tracking with a timer, adding time manually)
- Project management (setting projects, project’s rates, and budgets, deadline tracking)
- Billing – accurate invoicing data
- Team management (task assignment, productivity measurement, workflow monitoring)
- Flexible reporting system
- Free – Version of basic time tracking and flexible reporting that is available up to 5 users.
- Business – 5 USD per month, per user (this plan includes additional options such as billable rates and money tracking, billing, project budgeting, task management)
- Professional – 7 USD per month, per user (this plan includes additional option such as screenshots capturing, time off tracking, time tracking permissions, integration with Jira and QuickBooks)
All pricing plans include a free 30-day trial.
13. TimeSolv – Legal time tracking & billing solution
TimeSolv is a comprehensive program that has solutions for many law firm challenges. That is not only time tracking software but also provides budget management, staff monitoring, accurate and transparent invoicing, and insightful reporting.
- Time tracking
- Document management
- Project management
- Expense tracking
Integration with QuickBooks, Xero Accounting, LexCharge, LawPay, and Office 365
- 1-4 users – $39.95 per user per month
- 5-14 – users $34.95 per user per month
- 15 + users – $29.95 per user per month
If you are unsatisfied with TimeSolv after 6 months as an active user, they can refund money in case you completed training sessions.
TimeSolv offers a trial period of 30 days.
14. Time Tracker (by ebility) – time and billing tool excellent for attorneys
Time Tracker is a cloud-based solution that provides time management and monitoring suitable for payroll, billing, and productivity. It is easy to use program suitable for smaller law firms.
- Time tracking with time entry reminders
- Overtime calculations and alerts
- Time approval
- Attendance tracking
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Integration with: Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, Clio
Pricing starts at $6 per user/month + $10 per month base fee
Time Tracker offers a trial period of 14 days.
15. todo – Track your time directly on your tasks
Todo is not only a time tracking app but a very robust task management solution that impacts daily productivity. This tool is suitable for legal consultants of smaller law practices and helps them to work with multiple internal and client related projects.
- CRM – manage customer’s contacts
- Task management (checklists, calendar sync, repeating tasks, snooze tasks, conversation tracking)
- Time tracking – simple and intuitive tracking tools
- Time billing – manage attorney’s billing rates for projects and provide an accurate invoice to the clients
- SOLO FREE – ideal for freelancers (limited to one user)
- BUSINESS TIME – $9 per month, per user (tasks time and billing for teams)
Capped price is $99 per month, so you never pay more than the capped price, no matter how many users you add.
All features are allowed with a 14-day trial period with unlimited users.
TimeBechh uses modern architecture and easy to use interface, by utilizing the latest technologies and cloud solutions to satisfy their audience.
TimeBench is a safe platform with the latest encryption standards for data transfer and storage. This time tracking solutions offer insightful reporting in terms of projects, clients, and work tasks. The reports are based on detailed timesheets, billable and non-billable time, and other time analyses.
- Real-time tracking
- Statistics and data export
- E-mail support
- Phone support
- Advanced reporting
- 3rd party integration (Jira, Azure DevOps)
- Fee: Always and forever, maximum 3 users
- Basic: Early bird promotion is in place. The regular price without early bird promotion is 6 EUR per user per month.
- Premium: 15 EUR per user per month
A trial period is not available.
17. WebWork – Track time and screenshots and get powerful reports
WebWork is an employee monitoring and time tracking platform. The solution offers automatically time tracking with screenshots, billing, track billable rates, etc. WebWork is integrated with Asana, Zoho Projects, Zapier, Wrike, Jira, Trello, and more other solutions.
- Accurate time tracking
- Task progress management
- Apps and websites usage monitoring
- 4 screenshots types for employee monitoring
- Timesheet and statistic reporting
- Invoice generator
- Customer support – 24h
- Managing hourly billable rates
Pricing starts at $ 2.99 per user per month.
The trial version is offered, but there is no information about the trial period duration.
18. HiveDesk – Employee Time and task tracking software
With HiveDesk you can easily track the time and tasks of all attorneys and other staff. This is an employee time tracking and task management software suitable for remote teams. The platform offers online timesheets, activity monitoring as well as screenshots.
- Track time spent on each project
- Task management – create and assign work tasks
- Tracking status and progress of projects
- Online timesheet reporting
- Multi-level access management
- Cost management
- Automatic screenshots
- Activity monitoring
Pricing depends on user numbers (four plans are available, while the price per user per month amounts $5):
- 5 user plan – $ 25 per month
- 10 user plan – $ 50 per month
- 20 user plan – $ 100 per month
- 50 user plan – $ 250 per month
- 100 user plan – $ 500 per month
The trial period is offered in a duration of 14 days.
19. FreshBooks – time and billing software suitable for law firms
Freshbooks is comprehensive business management software, that includes a time tracking feature as well.
- Insightful Time Tracking
- Easy Invoicing
- Organize Expenses Effortlessly
- Seamlessly Collaborate on Projects
- Easy To Understand Reports
- Easy-To-Use Double-Entry Accounting
- Work Anywhere with the FreshBooks Mobile App
- Integration with: Stripe, gmail, slack, mailchimp, bench, and many others
See full pricing plans on the following graph:
You can have unlimited access to FreshBooks for 30 days, with no contracts and no credit card required
20. App4Legal – Excellent tracking software and practice management for lawyers
This is easy to use attorney time tracking software with intuitive interface. App4Legal is not only time tracking software for lawyers but a complete law practice management solution.
- Legal Matter Management
- Case Management
- Time tracking and timesheets for lawyers
- Task Management
- Litigation Management
- Client Management
- Notifications System
Cloud based Basic package starts from 24 USD per user, per month. Business plan costs 37 USD per user, per month, while Enterprise plan cost 49 USD per user, per month.
The above prices are applicable to month-to-month payments. In the case of annual payment this law firm time tracking software with discounted prices.
Server version price is 43 49 USD per user, per month (billed annually)
30 days are available, no credit card is required.
The evaluation and management of each client’s profitability and attorney’s productivity in a transparent way become the first challenge of law firms today. Time and expense tracking software for lawyers can be a good growth infrastructure. Based on the reviews above, this is what time tracking solution should provide:
Billable hours tracker for lawyers – charge your efforts properly
Timesheet software for lawyers should contain a database with an accurate number of billable hours for each employee, project, and client. You should get reports for billable hours for the required period for each client.
Time utilization – an indicator of time-wasting
Details of non-billable hours could be used for the analysis of the non-productive behavior of your attorneys and time-wasting. Still, it is very important to follow the monthly movement and overtakes appropriate action timely. For example, in the case utilization rate dramatically decreasing you can discover the reason for that. In the reports section, the utilization rate is calculated for each project, employee, and client.
Comprehensive timesheets for lawyers
Timesheet template for attorneys should include at least:
- Client name
- Project name
- Details of work perfomred
- Total hours
- Total billable hours
- Billing rate
Make connections in total hours spent on business development and revenue increase!
The structure of non-billable hours may be an indicator of positive development. Namely, you should follow total hours spent on business development activities, meetings with potential clients, marketing. Such time should be considered in relation to the marginal growth of revenues. If the increase of such activities results in an increase in revenues or number of clients, that is a positive time.
Administration work – too much time consuming
Timesheet software for lawyers should provide a structure of administration time consumption. Accordingly, in detailed reports, you can monitor whether huge administration work is appropriate or not.
How to improve law firm performance?
Timesheet software is basically your management tool for law firm profitability improvement. You should get automatically an allocation of time and expenses per each project and client. Only in that way you can evaluate the profit of each engagement.
FREE 60-day trial – no credit card required