When a law firm is growing, it faces essential challenges that, in most cases, can’t be managed appropriately. Crucial challenges are usually the following:
- Partners don’t have enough time for strategic planning
- Partners don’t have reliable insights into how many hours their associates spend on different tasks and clients
- A lack of information about time utilization, attorney’s productivity, and profitability per clients
- Partners aren’t skilled key performance indicators (KPI) management
- Managers and senior associates don’t invest the required time in leadership skills and business development
- The controlling and budgeting function isn’t properly implemented
- Senior associates waste their time, but partners can’t efficiently control it.
A Law Firm Time Tracking App is the Key to Growth and Quality
Timesheet (time tracking) software for lawyers is a solution for developing the work productivity of attorneys and improvement of Profit and Loss Account results. An attorney time tracking app should automatically provide the answers to some crucial questions:
- Are my attorneys working efficiently?
- How much time do they spend on each task?
- How to control and improve the lawyer’s productivity?
- What are the structure of billable and non-billable hours?
- What is time utilization per lawyers and projects?
- How to allocate costs to each client?
- How to calculate profit per client?
The Best Time Tracking Solutions Suitable for Law Firms
1. Time Analytics – Billable Hours Tracker for Attorneys
Time Analytics is an easy-to-use timesheet tracker. The main benefit of this time tracking solution is profitability improvement, efficiency, and productivity. Time Analytics helps law firm partners to:
- Discover where the total time is going and what the quality of the time engaged is
- Stop losing billable hours
- Identify when increasing the client contract termination fees increase makes a financial sense
- Make sure that the right people are working on the right clients
- Identify the strengthens and weaknesses of each attorney with the accurate measurement of their work
- Download attorney timesheet templates in Microsoft Excel and prepare various custom reports
- Billable hours vs. non-billable hours tracking per people, projects, and clients
- Comprehensive timesheets suitable for law firms
- Live dashboard for partners showing movement in total hours, billable hours, and time utilization
- Productivity management — employee evaluation with time and cost tracking per each task, project, or client
- Invoicing assistant – with a list of all tasks done for clients with description, billable time, and rates, Time Analytics ensures accurate and transparent invoicing
- Client reporting — overview of total hours and expenses related to a certain client
The time tracking software is free for up to five users and 30 clients or projects.
Other pricing plans include:
- Starter: $4.99 per user, per month (limited to 15 users and 150 clients)
- Optimum: $6.99 per user, per month
- Premium: $12.99 per user, per month
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a special pricing discount.
The trial period is 14 days. Time Analytics does not require a credit card in the trial period.
2. Desk Time – Automatic Legal Billing and Time Tracking Software for Teams and Freelancers
This solution is a perfect time and billing software for lawyers. Desk Time helps companies boost their productivity, minimize business losses, and be more organized.
You can plan and create attorneys’ shifts, manage their absence, manage employee productivity, see on which project they’re working and for how long, and much more.
- Automatic time tracking
- Offline time tracking
- Private time option
- Project tracking
- Document title tracking
- Cost calculation
- Custom reports
- Third-party integration
Pricing depends on the user number:
- Free – for one user only
- Pro — $6 per user, per month (billed monthly), or $5.5 per user, per month (billed annually)
- Premium (most popular) – $7.8 per user, per month (billed monthly), or $7.2 per user, per month (billed annually)
- Enterprise — $12 per user, per month (billed monthly), or $11 per user, per month (billed annually)
The trial period is 14 days.
3. Myhours – Organize, Track, and Report
Myhours is one of the best time and billing software for attorneys. This time tracking solution for attorneys can help law firms coordinate projects and tasks, track hours, and create reports for clients. Myhours provides an intuitive interface for filling tasks and time for attorneys and offers insightful timesheets.
- Coordinate a team, projects, and tasks with excellent timesheets
- Work hours and expenses tracking (per clients, projects, and tasks)
- Tracking project profitability and profit margins
- Advanced time analytics and reporting
The free version is available for teams that are just getting started with time tracking. There are no limitations in terms of team members or projects.
The paid version starts at €7 per month, per user.
Myhours offers a 30-day free trial. No credit card is required.
4. Chrometa – Be Paid for Every Minute You Work
Chrometa is an excellent time tracking solution for attorneys. This solution automatically allocates hours to projects, email addresses, and phone numbers. Besides, Chrometa can help law firms to monitor their budgets and project time, improve team productivity, and minimize admin costs.
- Automated time tracking
- Automated work tagging
- Time management
- Project management
- Integrated with 50+ apps
- Standard – $19 per month, per user
- Plus — $29 per month, per user
- Premium — $49 per month, per user
There’s a 30-day free trial.
5. Timely – Easy-to-use Time Tracking and Billing Software For Lawyers
Timely is a trusted law firm time tracking software that automates time recording. With Timely, each team member can focus on work that matters. It’s a user-friendly and remote-ready solution with high privacy protection.
- Track time – automated time tracking
- Track team – monitor employee capacity, hours, and overtime
- Track projects – plan, collaborate and organize projects effectively
- Project and team planning — plan and schedule all resource from one place
- Integration with other solution such as Asana, Trello, Jira, Toggl, Zappier, Google calendar, and many others
- Starter — $10 per month, per user (limited to three teams and 50 projects tracking)
- Premium — $18 per month, per user (unlimited projects and teams)
- Unlimited — $26 per month, per user (unlimited projects, teams, features, and individual capacity)
- Unlimited — custom pricing
Timely offers a 14-day free trial. No credit card is required.
6. AccountSight – Hour Tracker for Professional Legal Service
AccountSight is a time tracking and billing software for professional services companies, with complete DCAA Compliance.
This online time tracker is easy to use via any device or platform (mobile apps are also available for Android and iOS).
- Intuitive and user-friendly time tracker
- Easy and convenient expense tracker
- Flexible and elegant invoicing
- Powerful and insightful reporting
- Quick and professional project estimates
- Seamless and efficient integrations
- Timesheet integration with Quickbooks
There are four pricing plans:
AccountSight offers a 30-day free trial.
7. RescueTime – Powerful Time Management Tool
RescueTime helps law firms to learn about their total time worth and make smart time management decisions. This time tracking and billing software for lawyers are one of the best legal time and billing software used by millions of people and businesses worldwide.
- Automatic time tracking – time spent on apps, websites, etc.
- Time reports – breakdown on where the time is spent
- Productivity reports
- Project and document time tracking – track how much time is spent on each document or app
- FocusTime distraction blocker
- Weekly, monthly, and annual reports
- LITE – fee of charge – basic automatic time tracking
- PREMIUM — $12 per month
RescueTime offers a 14-day free trial.
8. Timeneye – Simple & Intelligent Time Tracking
This legal time tracking billing software can help attorneys save time, improve their project management, monitor the team, and increase productivity.
- Simple and effective time tracking
- Billable hours management
- Weekly calendar view
- Budget notifications
- Roles and permissions
- Exports and imports
- Weekly email summaries
- Reports for meetings and clients
Pricing starts at $6 per user, per month (if paid yearly), or $7 per user, per month (if paid monthly).
Timeneye offers a 14-day free trial period, there is no need for a credit card.
9. actiTime – Time Tracking Software for Boosting Your Business with Intelligent Data
actiTime is a very popular software among law firms. This cloud-based platform offers tracking of project scope, task assignments, and monitoring of the project’s activities and resources. With actiTime, the attorneys can record their work hours manually or use the timer. A mobile app is also available.
- Project scope management and work assignment
- Work hours recording (manually of with timer)
- Task workflow management
- Insightful reports — project performance, attorney’s outputs and results, profit
- Many customization options available
- Cost and billing reports
- Integration with Zapier and Quickbooks
- Free version comes with limited functionalities and is available for 1-3 users
- 1-40 users — $7 per user, per month, billed monthly
- 41-200 users — $6 per user, per month, billed monthly
- 200+ users – fixed costs – customized pricing
actiTime offers a fully functional 30-day trial with unlimited users.
10. Indy – Time Tracker Best for Freelance Lawyers and Legal Professionals
Indy’s time tracker is simple, easy to use, and perfect for those working on their own. The time tracker lets you start and stop tracking time with a single click. Time tracks can be billed at differing rates to account for billable and non-billable hours, as well as variable rates for each client. When you’re ready to send the bill, a few clicks will add your unbilled hours to an invoice ready to send for payment.
- Simple interface that is intuitive to use
- Start, pause, and end time tracking easily
- Assign time tracks to projects
- Each time tracker entry can have its own billing rate
- Add unbilled hours to invoices quickly
- Free trial with limited number of invoices
- $5.99/month for access to time tracking, proposal, contract, and invoice tools
11. TransparentBusiness – Legal Time Tracking Billing Software For Remote Work Management
This time tracking solution ensures real-time analytics and data on the cost and the status of all projects and work tasks. TransparentBusiness reduces expenses by increasing productivity and efficiency and enables easy monitoring of your entire workforce.
- Virtual teamroom
- Time tracking
- Project management and task management
- Progress monitoring tools and screenshots
- Real time timesheets
- 24/7 tech support
- Certification in cloudworking
- Multi-factor authentication
- Live activity snapshot
- Monthly fee is 30 USD per user
- Special pricing for SME
TransparentBusiness is FREE for up to 25 users until 2022.
12. Amberlo – Law Office Time and Billing Software
Amberlo is not only attorney time tracking software but also a comprehensive solution for law firms. Besides time and expense tracking, this legal practice solution provides a lot of managerial tools and features. Amberlo offers many options starting with on-boarding new clients, automatically recording every minute worked, billing, and client emailing.
- Time and expense tracking
- Contact management
- Matter management
- Legal calendaring
- Legal billing
- Email management
- Document management
- Trust accounting
- Grow – €25 Per user/month, when billed annually. €30, when billed monthly
- Premium – €35 Per user/month, when billed annually. €40, when billed monthly.
- Elite – €55 Per user/month, when billed annually. €70, when billed monthly.
Amberlo offers a free 7-day trial.
13. TMetric – Excellent Time and Billing Software For Lawyers
TMetric is a straightforward legal billing and time tracking software that supports businesses to grow, increase their profit, and efficiently manage a workforce. With this time tracking app, you’ll learn what services bring more profits and what clients are of greater importance. TMetric is available on most popular platforms such as macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Time tracking (tracking with a timer, adding time manually)
- Project management (setting projects, project’s billable hourly rates, and budgets, deadline tracking)
- Billing – accurate invoicing data
- Team management (task assignment, productivity measurement, workflow monitoring)
- Flexible reporting system
- Free basic time tracking and flexible reporting available for up to five users
- Business – $5 per month, per user (includes additional options such as billable rates and money tracking, billing, project budgeting, task management)
- Professional – $7 per month, per user (includes additional options such as screenshots capturing, time-off tracking, time tracking permissions, integration with Jira and QuickBooks)
All pricing plans include a free 30-day trial.
14. TimeSolv – Legal Time & Billing Software
TimeSolv is a comprehensive program that has solutions for many law firm challenges. This isn’t only time tracking software. It also provides budget management, staff monitoring, accurate and transparent invoicing, and insightful reporting.
The software also integrates with QuickBooks, Xero Accounting, LexCharge, LawPay, and Office 365.
- Time tracking
- Document management
- Project management
- Expense tracking
- 1-4 users – $39.95 per user per month
- 5-14 – users $34.95 per user per month
- 15 + users – $29.95 per user per month
If you’re not satisfied with TimeSolv after six months of active use, they can refund you the money in case you completed the training sessions.
TimeSolv offers a 30-day trial.
15. Time Tracker (by Ebility) – Time and Billing Tool Excellent for Attorneys
Time Tracker is a legal time and billing software solution that provides time management and monitoring for payroll, billing, and productivity. It’s easy to use and suitable for smaller law firms.
- Time tracking with time entry reminders
- Overtime calculations and alerts
- Time approval
- Attendance tracking
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Integrates with Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, and Clio
Pricing starts at $6 per user/month + $10 per month base fee
Time Tracker offers a trial period of 14 days.
16. todo – Track Your Time Directly on Your Tasks
Todo isn’t only a time tracking app, but it’s also a very robust task management solution that impacts daily productivity. This tool is suitable for legal consultants of smaller law practices as it helps them work with multiple internal and client-related projects.
- CRM – manage customer’s contacts
- Task management (checklists, calendar sync, repeating tasks, snooze tasks, conversation tracking)
- Time tracking – simple and intuitive tracking tools
- Time billing – manage attorney’s billing rates for projects and provide an accurate invoice to the clients
- SOLO FREE – ideal for freelancers (limited to one user)
- BUSINESS TIME – $9 per month, per user (tasks time and billing for teams)
Capped price is $99 per month, so you never pay more than the capped price, no matter how many users you add.
Todo offers a fully functional 14-day trial for an unlimited number of users.
TimeBench uses modern architecture and an easy-to-use interface by using the latest technologies and cloud solutions to satisfy their audience.
TimeBench is a safe platform with the latest encryption standards for data transfer and storage. This time tracking solution offers insightful reporting in terms of projects, clients, and work tasks. The reports are based on detailed timesheets, billable and non-billable time, and other time analyses.
- Real-time tracking
- Statistics and data export
- E-mail support
- Phone support
- Advanced reporting
- 3rd party integration (Jira, Azure DevOps)
- Fee — for up to three users
- Basic — €6 per user, per month, without the early bird promotion
- Premium — €15 per user per month
TimeBench doesn’t offer a free trial.
18. WebWork – Track Time and Screenshots and Get Insightful Reports
WebWork is an employee monitoring and time tracking platform. The solution offers automatic time tracking with screenshots, billing, tracking of billable rates, etc. The platform is integrated with Asana, Zoho Projects, Zapier, Wrike, Jira, Trello, and more.
- Accurate time tracking
- Task progress management
- Apps and websites usage monitoring
- Four screenshot types for employee monitoring
- Timesheet and statistic reporting
- Invoice generator
- 24h customer support
- Managing hourly billable rates
Pricing starts at $ 2.99 per user per month.
WebWork offers a free trial, but there’s no info on its duration.
19. HiveDesk – Employee Time and task tracking software
With HiveDesk, you can easily track the time and tasks of all attorneys and other staff. This is an employee time tracking and task management software suitable for remote teams. The software offers online timesheets, activity monitoring, and screenshots.
- Track time spent on each project
- Task management – create and assign work tasks
- Tracking status and progress of projects
- Online timesheet reporting
- Multi-level access management
- Cost management
- Automatic screenshots
- Activity monitoring
Pricing depends on the number of users:
- Five-user plan — $25 per month
- Ten-user plan — $50 per month
- 20-user plan — $100 per month
- 50-user plan — $250 per month
- 100-user plan — $500 per month
HiveDesk offers a 14-day free trial.
20. FreshBooks – Time and Billing Software Suitable for Law Firms
FreshBooks is a comprehensive business management software that includes a time tracking feature as well.
- Insightful Time Tracking
- Easy Invoicing
- Organize Expenses Effortlessly
- Seamlessly Collaborate on Projects
- Easy To Understand Reports
- Easy-To-Use Double-Entry Accounting
- Work Anywhere with the FreshBooks Mobile App
- Integration with: Stripe, gmail, slack, mailchimp, bench, and many others
You can have unlimited access to FreshBooks for 30 days, with no contracts and no credit card required
21. App4Legal – Excellent Tracking Software and Practice Management for Lawyers
App4Legal isn’t only a time tracking software for lawyers, but it’s also a complete law practice management solution.
- Legal matter management
- Case management
- Time tracking
- Task management
- Litigation management
- Client management
- Notifications system
- Cloud-based Basic package starts at $24 per user, per month
- Business plan costs $37 per user, per month
- Enterprise plan costs $49 per user, per month
The above prices are applicable to month-to-month payments. In the case of annual payment this law firm time tracking software with discounted prices.
Server version price is 43 USD per user, per month (billed annually)
App4Legal offers a 30-day free trial.
Apploye is renowned for its simple interface providing advanced time tracking, productivity mapping, employee monitoring, payroll, and invoicing. It has remote employee monitoring tools comprising GPS location tracker, geofencing, and track time on the job location. It has an intuitive desktop and mobile app.
- Automatic time tracking, Pomodoro timer, manual time entry,
- Apps and URLs tracking, screenshots, idle time monitoring,
- GPS location tracker, geofencing, scheduling, reports, project billing,
- Client, invoice, tax, discount, budgeting, alerts, time off,
- Payroll, task management, timesheet, activity tracking,
- Solo: $4 per person per month
- Standard: $5 per person per month
- Premium: $6 per person per month
- Elite: $7 per person per month
It has 50% discounts on yearly planning.
It has a trial period of 10 days.
The evaluation and management of each client’s profitability and attorney’s productivity in a transparent way is one of the first challenges of law firms today. Time and expense tracking software for lawyers can be a good growth infrastructure. A figures form the time and expense reports are excellent foundation of preparation firm’s revenue and cost budgeting. Based on the reviews above, this is what time tracking solution should provide:
Billable Hours Tracker — Charge Your Efforts Properly
Timesheet software for lawyers should contain a database with an accurate number of billable hours for each employee, project, and client. You should get reports for billable hours for the required period for each client.
Time Utilization – an Indicator of Time-Wasting
This is one of the most important KPIs for all service companies. The details of non-billable hours could be used to analyze the non-productive behavior of your attorneys. Still, it’s essential to follow the monthly movement and take action in a timely manner. For example, in the case the utilization rate dramatically decreases, you can discover the reason for that. In the reports section, the utilization rate is calculated for each project, employee and, client.
Comprehensive Timesheets for Lawyers
Timesheet template for attorneys should include at least:
- Client name
- Project name
- Details of work performed
- Total hours
- Total billable hours
- Billable hourly rate
Make Connections in Total Hours Spent on Business Development and Revenue Increase!
The structure of non-billable hours may be an indicator of positive development. Namely, you should follow total hours spent on business development activities, meetings with potential clients, and marketing. Such time should be considered in relation to the marginal growth of revenue. If the increase of such activities results in an increase in revenue or number of clients, that is a positive time.
Administration Work – Too Much Time Consuming
A timesheet software for lawyers should provide a structure of administration time consumption and overtime calculations. Accordingly, in detailed timesheet reports, you should be able to monitor whether huge administration work is appropriate.
Improve the Law Firm Performance
Timesheet software is basically your management tool for law firm profitability improvement. You should automatically get an allocation of time and expenses for each project and client. Only in that way can you evaluate the profit of each engagement. Finally, based on time tracking you can calculate your firm’s Full Time Equivalent (FTE) number.
FREE 14-day trial – no credit card required