The life of a freelancer can seem like a dream to the outsider. Namely, you determine where, when and how much you’ll work. Additionally, if your profession is in high demand, you can make quite a nice life for yourself.
What most people only starting their freelancing journey don’t understand is that, as much as you love your job, there are still going to be problems. You can be using a freelancing platform or contract jobs by word of mouth. In any case, there are going to be at least some difficult clients. Most of them will try to reduce your fee as much as they can.
The best way to battle this is by negotiating a fixed per-hour fee for your work. Then you should accurately track your time. This way, the client can also see why the price is as high as it is. Finding the best time tracking app for freelancers can be difficult. This is true as we all have different demands and priorities. That’s why we’ve chosen the 25 best time tracking platforms any freelancer can use.
1. Time Analytics
Time Analytics is a relatively new addition to the time tracking software market. Still, it has proven to work very well both for companies and freelancers. You can use the platform with minimal hassle and track time on a multitude of tasks in a few clicks. The platform was designed with ease of use in mind. This means the interface is extremely clean and intuitive. This is what makes Time Analytics the best time tracking app for freelancers who want great value for their money. You can have relatively low computer skills. Or, you can be a busy freelancer who wants to focus on your work first and foremost. Either way, you’ll be able to use and enjoy this platform.
There are two options for time tracking in Time Analytics. The first one consists of creating and toggling between different timers dedicated to different tasks. The time starts tracking with a click of a button. The app will run in the background until you turn the timer off. This option is great if you are aiming for absolute accuracy. The data from the timers is turned into logs that fill out a timesheet. You can also manually add tasks or edit them directly in the timesheet.
The time entries can be accompanied by your hourly rate. This way, you’ll be able to see exactly how much you’re making with each task. This can be a great source of motivation. Additionally, you can add different notes to each task and review them later.
Freelancers can greatly benefit from using Time Analytics. The platform delivers many data-driven and highly visual reports. In other words, you’ll be able to see your top-performing clients, as well as those who prove to be difficult (i.e. asking for multiple revisions and costing you more time and effort). You will also be able to make more accurate estimates for future projects of the same scope.
Most importantly, you will get an insight into your own time usage. You’re the one determining your hours. That’s why it is easy to over or underestimate the time you’ve spent on a task, or resting. Time Analytics will help you determine your most productive periods during the day. Then, you can focus on working at those times.
- Time tracking – choose between manual entries or automatic timers. Receive an accurate timesheet you can use as proof of work
- Expense tracking – track all expenses and resources you’re using for different tasks. The platform will allocate them to the clients connected to those tasks
- Reports – receive accurate and clear reports that go into detail about your performance on any given day, week, month, or year
- Billing and invoicing – add your timesheets to the invoices you deliver to your clients. This way you’ll avoid any questions about your work and pricing
- Starter – $4.99 per month
- Optimum – $6.99 per month
- Premium – $12.99 per month
2. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is one of the most famous time tracking apps on the market. It is the best time tracking app for freelancers who need more control over their time and work habits. That is why the app contains multiple ways to monitor work. The monitoring techniques include screenshots of the devices.
The app is very useful when it comes to identifying unproductive behaviors. It can also send reminders to users who have been away from their devices for a while. Additionally, you can turn off these notifications and features due to the app’s high customizability.
Time Doctor synchronizes with all the most popular business software solutions.
- Timesheets – let your clients know exactly how much time you’ve spent on their projects
- Distraction alerts – never spend your valuable working time distracted again
- Screenshots – monitor your own activity and identify problems
- Basic – $7 per month
- Standard – $10 per month
- Premium – $20 per month
Harvest is the best time tracking app for freelancers looking for a simple solution. It focuses on tracking expenses as well as billing. The app has a built-in invoicing feature. It turns the timesheet data into invoices for your clients. The app also integrates with Xero and QuickBooks, so you can even get your payments through Harvest.
Time tracking through Harvest relies on using multiple timers dedicated to different tasks. You can track work time from any device. This is true as Harvest has a browser, desktop, and mobile versions.
If you are new to time tracking, you will probably be forgetful until you create the habit of using the software regularly. For that reason, Harvest sends reminders to track time if you’ve forgotten to do it.
- Time tracking – track the time you spend on each task, project, or client
- Billing – create invoices and manage payments through integrations
- Reports – see how you’re progressing in your projects and career
- Pro – $12 per month
Toggl is a beautifully designed platform. It is the best time tracking app for freelancers that are looking for a highly visual solution. The platform allows users to clock in and out with a single click. Also, it tracks the applications you are using and determines the tasks you’re working on automatically.
If you forget to clock in or start tracking a specific task you will get a reminder as well. Toggl integrates with calendar apps. Hence, you will never forget about a deadline or meeting again.
You can assess projects and budgets through the projects dashboard. To put it simply, you will be able to see if you need to speed up your work for a certain client.
- Time tracking – automate the time tracking process completely
- Project tracking – make sure you’re finishing everything on time
- Calendar integration – have all your obligations in one place
- Starter – $10 per month
- Premium – $20 per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
Timely is the best time tracking app for freelancers who want to focus on their work above all. Namely, the application tracks user activity via AI. As a result, there is no need to switch between tasks and keep your eye on the tracker all day. Users can edit their timesheets manually, which further improves the prediction quality of the AI.
The platform monitors expenses as well. In other words, you will always be sure not to go over budget on a project. Another tactic you can use is re-negotiating your fees.
Timely’s accuracy prevents you from losing a single penny. The logs will clearly show the time you’ve spent working on all projects.
- Time tracking – automatic AI-driven time tracking that improves with the use
- Billing – bill accurately and create detailed timesheets as proof
- Project transparency – have project health at your fingertips at all times
- Starter – $10 per month
- Premium – $18 per month
- Unlimited – $26 per month
- Unlimited+ – custom plan
Are you looking for the best time tracking app for freelancers that will be as unobtrusive as possible? Tick may be a great solution for you. The app will run quietly and deliver results without you having to move a finger.
Are using project management tools in the likes of Asana, Trello, or Basecamp? In that case, you will be happy to know Tick integrates with them with zero problems. You’ll be able to monitor your workflow and get detailed reports through Tick.
The platform relies on manual time tracking through timecards. They allow users to log time by the project (projects are organized by clients) and task. You can also use a time clock for more accuracy.
- Time tracking – choose whether to track time manually or automatically
- Budget tracking – real-time budget reporting to prevent you from overspending
- Reports – receive reports on your work and export them
- 1 project – free
- 10 projects – $19 per month
- 30 projects – $49 per month
- 60 projects – $79 per month
- Unlimited – $149 per month
Working from anywhere is one of freelancing’s biggest advantages. Hubstaff is the best time tracking app for freelancers on the go. Namely, the app focuses on being accessible from anywhere and on any device.
The app’s productivity reports are consistent and can help you see whether you’re approaching burnout due to overworking. That is to say, the app will help you focus on your health and well-being by noticing dips in productivity.
Many of us don’t have the best time management skills. That’s why you can track your keyboard and mouse activity to help you identify your most productive hours.
- Time tracking – track your tasks through a tracker and timesheets
- Monitoring – understand when your most and least productive periods are
- Reports – see how your daily work impacts the overall picture
- Desk Free – free
- Desk Starter – $7 per month
- Desk Pro – $10 per month
- Desk Enterprise – custom plan
Are you on the lookout for a time tracking solution that will allow you to integrate with the software you’re already using? Everhour may be the best time tracking app for freelancers in that case! The platform offers integrations with Basecamp, Asana, and GitHub. Additionally, there are many more business software solutions you can integrate with.
You can track time either manually or by using a timer. There is also a clock-in and clock-out system that allows you to account for breaks. Do you want to finish work at the same time each day? You can set up an auto-stop timer to make sure you’ve turned the clock off in that case.
The app allows you to manage clients, budgets, and billing. This way you will be sure to charge all of your services accurately and with flexibility.
- Time tracking – use a time clock or log your time manually into your timesheets
- Budget management – make sure you’re paid what you’re owed easily
- Integrations – continue using your favorite business programs along with Everhour
- All-in-one – $10 per month
Clockify is a well-known time tracking program. It relies on timesheets and automatic time trackers. In other words, freelancers are given the option to choose between manual and automatic time tracking.
The platform has the goal of increasing each freelancer’s awareness of the way they’re spending their working hours. That is why it allows users to monitor project progress in real-time. This way you’ll be aware of whether you need to up your tempo. In contrast, you’ll also know when you can breathe.
Clockify offers multiple reports. You can have a simple glance at the most important factors. On the other hand, it’s possible to receive detailed reports that allow you to deep-dive into all aspects of your career.
- Time tracking – choose between manual time entries and automatic time clocks
- Project tacking – understand how much time you have left and decide on your tempo
- Reports – stay on track with your plans through reports with different detail levels
- Basic – $4.99 per month
- Standard – $6.99 per month
- Pro – $9.99 per month
- Enterprise – $14.99 per month
RescueTime is the best time tracking app for freelancers who want to understand exactly how they’re spending their working hours. In other words, it allows them to deep-dive into their everyday activities. That is why they can recognize negative work patterns that are hindering their progress.
The Focus Work feature is one of the app’s best features if you are looking to increase productivity. You can set up a daily goal for yourself and focus your work on achieving it. To put it simply, the sense of accomplishment will push you further as well. Once you activate the Focus Hours RescueTime will notify you whenever you get distracted.
This, of course, means the app will track your time spent working with different documents, visiting websites, or using apps. This would feel intrusive if you were working for a company. However, since you work for yourself – it is a great way to regulate your days.
- Time tracking – online and offline time tracking that takes just one click
- Focus time – separate a chunk of time only for your biggest goal with no distractions
- Activity monitoring – learn about your biggest distractions and work on minimizing them
The pricing depends on different factors, but the lowest price is $6 per month.
TimeCamp is a platform that focuses on tracking time and productivity. The productivity analysis aspect of the app helps all users understand the way they structure their days. In other words, the tool is great for identifying distractions and unproductive periods during the workday.
An increase in profitability is possible with the app. Simply put, it can help you identify billable hours. This way no part of your hard work will be wasted. TimeCamp is a great billing and invoicing tool as well.
The timesheet feature of the app allows you to have a wider overview of your projects. In contrast, you can dig deep into the details with the daily view.
- Time tracking – automatic trackers monitor the apps and webpages you use
- Monitoring – learn which websites and apps are distracting you
- Reports – learn all about your performance and key metrics
- Basic – $7 per month
- Pro – $10 per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
Are you looking for a simple and affordable solution that will help you track your activity easily? In that case, ezClocker may be just the solution for you. Even if you aren’t very computer savvy, the platform is sure to be of service.
We’ve been talking about apps oriented towards office workers, but ezClocker is the best solution for freelancers working field. That is to say, the app has a GPS location feature that helps you verify you were at the worksite at the logged time.
The application is available on all devices. That means you can manage your plans and monitor projects from any of them.
- Time tracking – clock in and out at the beginning and end of your workday
- Device compatibility – track your time from anywhere and on any device
- GPS verification – let the app be your proof of work
- Basic – $10 per month
- Standard – $25 per month
- Premium – $50 per month
13. Indy’s Time Tracker
The time tracker is just a part of the wide set of business tools Indy features. The platform was created to make sure no billable hours get overseen and unpaid for.
The time tracking process is automated. in other words, you start and finish tracking by clicking a button. This makes the time tracker extremely simple to use. However, you can edit the entries manually, or type them all in.
The app offers the possibility of slicing your day into sessions. Then you can connect timers to specific projects to account for all activities related to a client.
- Time tracking – log your time manually or use an automatic timer
- Time organization – organize your workday into blocks dedicated to specific tasks or projects
- Invoices – add the time entries from your timesheets to invoices for your clients
- Pro Bundle – $5.99 per month
TimeCamp is one of the most well-known apps in this niche on the market. This is the best time tracking app for freelancers who would like a thorough insight into their workdays. TimeCamp allows this with minimum hassle. Namely, its time tracking is automatic.
The application recognizes the applications you use during your working hours. Then, it groups them by type. This isn’t a popular method of time tracking in organizations. However, freelancers who want a firm grasp on their time will find it extremely useful.
The strict monitoring results in extremely insightful reports that show the entirety of your work. you will be able to see your budget, profitability, clients, and much more
- Time tracking – an automatic time tracker will give you an accurate insight into your activity
- Activity monitoring – use this feature to notice your patterns of work and peak productivity time
- Reports – obtain a deep understanding of your business
- Basic – $7 per month
- Pro – $10 per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
FreshBooks is an accounting solution with time tracking features. It is geared toward small and medium businesses. Yet, freelancers can use it as well. You can monitor both the time and the money invested in each project and client.
The time tracker is automatic and works in the background. Meanwhile, you can focus on your work. However, there is also the manual aspect to the app, as you can edit and add time entries one by one as well.
The app delivers reports that are simple to understand, yet very useful and insightful. You can get reports on projects, clients, as well as the entirety of your business.
- Time tracking – create the entries manually or use the automatic timer
- Reports – receive reports on clients, projects, and your financial statistics
- Integrations – continue using your favorite business tools with the addition of FreshBooks
- Lite – $15 per month
- Plus – $25 per month
- Premium – $50 per month
- Custom plan
TMetric is simple to use, but it contains both time tracking and project management elements. That is to say, you will be able to see how your projects are progressing and how much you’re spending on them. Similar to many entries on our list, you can choose between automatic and manual time tracking when using the app.
The platform gives its users some useful budgeting features. Namely, you can track billable time and manage your budget. The budgeting feature allows setting recurring daily, weekly, and monthly budgets.
The reports the app delivers concern logged hours, your earnings, and expenses. The app allows you to view the sites and apps you utilize the most during the day
- Time tracking – track the time you spend working either automatically or manually
- Monitoring – see which apps and websites you use during your workday
- Reports – have a firm grasp on your jobs and clients, as well as earnings
- Professional – $5 per month
- Business – $7 per month
TopTracker is the best time tracking app for freelancers that offers a multitude of features in its free version. It offers an integration with Payoneer which makes it a great solution for freelancers. The payment processing element of the app makes sure all your work is accounted for and paid for.
You can track time via a web timer or the desktop app. You can start and stop tracking time with a simple click of a button. The timer has an automatic version, but you can also make time logs manually.
The timer tracks your work in real-time, collects that data and creates reports on your activity and budget.
- Time tracking – track the time you spend working on projects and clients
- Payoneer integration – receive payments based on the timesheets
- Reports – receive insightful reports on your work, expenses, and time
Timeular is the best time tracking app for freelancers who think outside the box and need something more concrete to remind them to track time. The platform sends its users an 8-sided die. Then the user assigns different tasks to each side of the die.
The time tracking process is accompanied by turning the die to track the activity connected to the specific side. This way you’ll be able to capture every minute of your workday and account for them if a client asks for clarification.
You can add and edit time entries manually as well. The application will deliver clear and aesthetically pleasing reports on your activity.
- Time tracking – automate the time tracking process with the option of manual edits
- Tracking die – a fun and tangible tool that helps you remember to track time
- Reports – have all the necessary data on your business at your fingertips
- Basic – $5 per month
- Pro – $9 per month
The tracker has to be purchased as well
Are you looking for a lightweight no-nonsense app with basic reports and tracking functions? In that case, Checkiant may be just the solution for you. This app is very simple to use and features a start-and-stop automatic timer. That is to say, you can track your time with only a click.
The reports Checkiant delivers may not be as detailed as other platforms offer, but they still can give you an insight into your time spent working.
The ease of use and insights the app delivers are its main strengths. It is a great option for freelancers who want to have an accurate general idea about their work.
- Time tracking – automatic time tracking with the option of editing entries
- Reports – simple and accurate reports on projects and clients
- Ease of use – track your time with a single click
- Premium – $5 per month
- Enterprise – $10 per month
Kimai is the best time tracking app for freelancers who want an open-source solution for their time tracking needs. Any user can change the elements of the app and modify it to their needs. The tracker is web-based and simple, using a start/stop system.
Unfortunately, the app doesn’t stop tracking time automatically, so you’ll have to make sure to turn it off each time. You can edit the logged time manually as well.
Kimai offers the option of setting your hourly or fixed rate and calculating your profit. The app tracks expenses by the activity, project, and client.
- Time tracking – a simple on/off switch tracks your time accurately
- Reports – receive weekly and monthly reports on your work and profit
- Customizability – if you have the know-how, you can customize the code on your own
Kimai is open-source, which makes it free
The Department of Labor has released its timesheet solution as a mobile app. If you are looking for a secure and trusted solution, this could be the best time tracking app for freelancers for you. Additionally, the app’s developers are constantly adding new features and options.
The application offers manual and automatic time tracking options. if you end up working overtime, the app will calculate the rate as 1.5 of your regular hourly rate. This may not be the best option for freelancers, so keep this fact in mind.
The reports the app delivers are bare-bones, containing the time you’ve begun and ended working, total time, date, and recorded breaks.
- Time tracking – another solution with automatic and manual time tracking options
- Overtime calculation – never worry about your effort being unappreciated
- Reports – minimal, yet useful reports
DOL Timesheet is free to use. The app is available for iPads and iPhones
Traqq is a time tracking solution that offers activity monitoring. This means you will be able to see exactly where your time goes during your workday. In other words, after some time, you’ll be able to establish patterns and work on increasing productivity.
The application features an automatic time tracker as well as a monitoring option. You can monitor the hardware – keystrokes and mouse activity, as well as software – apps and websites you use.
The time recorded by the app is transferred into timesheets and transformed into detailed reports. This means that you’ll be able to monitor your work on a larger scale.
- Time tracking – automate the time tracking process to be as accurate as possible
- Monitoring – track hardware and software activity to understand your workflow
- Reports – receive in-depth activity reports
- Premium starter – free
- Premium teams – $7 per month
- Enterprise – custom solution
23. Hello Bonsai
Hello Bonsai is an all-in-one freelancing application. That means that time tracking is just one of its aspects, and you can rely on the app to manage your entire freelance career.
The app features an automatic time tracker. You can set your billable rate in the timer, and it will automatically calculate your income.
You can manage your projects and clients with ease and in a very well-designed interface. The app’s biggest advantage is that it streamlines each element of freelancing, from job offers to taxes. This includes invoicing, project management, accounting, and others.
- Time tracking – automate your time tracking process and get accurate numbers
- Invoices – generate accurate invoices that account for each task and expense
- Project management – see how far you’ve come along with a single glance
- Starter – $24 per month
- Professional – $39 per month
- Business – $79 per month
24. Fiverr Workspace
Fiverr is one of the most famous freelancing platforms globally. Hence, the company’s insight into the needs of freelancers is significant. That is why the platform created a time tracking solution that allows users to manage their projects.
This solution is definitely the best time tracking app for freelancers who are already using Fiverr. It enables them to manage the entire business process from business proposals to invoices and payments.
The time tracking aspect allows you to focus on your work without having to guesstimate the time needed for each task. The software also generates invoices automatically.
- Time tracking – measure the time your projects take automatically
- Invoices – receive payments for the work you’ve done with no hassle
- Reports – the app offers a 360-degree overview of all aspects of your business
- Unlimited – $24 per month
The final entry on our list, ClickUp is another all-in-one freelance work management platform with prominent time tracking features. The app prides itself on its attractive design and pleasant and intuitive user experience.
If you are used to other time tracking solutions like Clockify and Time Doctor, you can use them with ClickUp, as the app offers numerous integrations.
The app contains a project tracking system that includes tasks, document storage, goals, and other features that help freelancers in their day-to-day work.
- Time tracking – an automatic time tracker that helps you remain accurate
- Integrations – integrate ClickUp with other time tracking and business tools
- Project tracking – know exactly where you are when it comes to your projects
- Unlimited – $9 per month
- Business – $19 per month
- Business plus – $29 per month
Enterprise – custom plan
Among the best time tracking apps overall, nTask is a top option for teams. It’s a stellar option for freelancers but is also built to handle a collaborative workload of small to large companies as well.
nTask like many other project management apps considers time tracking a vital resource. Time Tracking module with having the option of creating and managing a particular team segment for employee tasks, efforts, and payroll.
nTask is a useful application for you if you are a freelancer and you want to maintain your tasks, and everyday activities properly managed. The time tracking feature of nTask lets you stay on top of your work and manage tasks effectively.
- Time Tracking – Easily track time spent on tasks using a timesheet.
- Time Estimates – Easily enter the estimated time that will be spent on projects.
- Budget Settings – Manage your team and project finances and monitor funds in real-time.
- Premium – $4 per month
- Business – $12 per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
Time tracking is a key feature of any successful business, and freelancers aren’t an exception. If you’re thinking about starting to work for yourself, but have heard many horror stories of clients who won’t pay or like to haggle, a time tracking solution is the best way to go.
We have chosen a variety of time tracking solutions with different features and complexity levels. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find the perfect platform for you among them.
FREE 14-day trial – no credit card required