Choosing the right time tracking tool for your accountancy business is pretty important. Otherwise, you can miss hundreds of billable hours, waste time on unproductive work, and lose money serving unprofitable clients.
There is a wide range of time tracking software for accounting, tax, and audit firms today. All with different pricing plans, options, benefits, integrations, reporting, and more.
What’s the right choice for your company?
To help you answer this question, we’ve compiled a list of the best 15 time tracking solutions for your team and highlighted their advantages, features, and pricing.
The Ultimate List of the Best Timesheet Software for Accountants
Best For: Accounting, tax, and audit SMBs
Starting Price: $4.99 per user per month
Best For: Billing accounting services
Starting Price: $12 per user per month
Best For: Large CPA practices
Starting Price: $10 per user per month
Best For: Project budgeting
Starting Price: $6 per user per month
Best For: Time based billing
Starting Price: $27 per user per month
Best For: Timesheets for accountants
Starting Price: $15 per month (3 users)
Best For: Time scheduling
Starting Price: $10 per user per month
Best For: Employee monitoring
Starting Price: $70 per user per year
Best For: Consulting businesses
Starting Price: $9 per user per month
Best For: Large accounting teams
Starting Price: $6 per user per month
Best For: Timesheet management
Starting Price: $7.99 per user per month
Best For: Team resource planning
Starting Price: $28 per user per month
Best For Small CPA firms
Starting Price: $3.99 per user per month
Best For Small CPA firms
Starting Price: $3.99 per user per month
Best For: Full accounting projects tracking
Starting Price: $11.95 per month (2 users)
Find out more about the benefits, features, integrations, and pricing of selected tools.
Best for time tracking and timesheet management of accounting, tax, audit and advisory SMBs.
A. Time tracking
This feature helps accountants to track their time and increase productivity and service profits:
- Time tracking on each specified task, project and client
- Add or edit time manually
- Use of timer
- Mark hours as billable
- Add notes to each timer
- Billing and labor rates
- Automatic cost allocation to the projects
- Paid time-off tracking of attorney team (vacation, sick leaves)
- Detailed daily timesheet showing each time entry per project, client and task
- Weekly timesheet
- Timesheets reviews and edit by manager
- Timesheet filtering and export in excel
C. Time reporting
- Insight in billing efficiency and billable hours per clients and services
- Watch hourly rate based revenue per clients
- Watch what service line is the most profitable (e.g. accounting, tax, payroll, consulting, audit)
- Align your fees with time consumption
D. Team productivity and efficiency reporting
- Reporting on billable hours and non-billable for each employee
- Time utilization reporting
- Insights in overtime hours
E. Create transparent and accurate invoices
- Review all services and tasks your team did for clients
- Review billable hours for each client
- Export invoice to the Excel and make final adjustments
- In-app chat
- In-app tutorials
- Written help articles
- Email support
- Booking 1:1 live demo
- Data hosted in – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Hosting of the SaaS application in a Privacy Shield Certified or ISO 27001 certified data center.
- Amazon Web Services ISO 27001 Compliance
- Encryption with SSL encryption (HTTPS)
- Data back-ups every day
Time analytics offers two plans:
- Starter: $4.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $5.99 (billed monthly)
- Optimum: $6.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $8.45 (billed monthly)
- Free trial: 14 days (No credit card needed)
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a special pricing discount.
Pros of Time Analytics
- Easy to use and friendly interface
- Powerful reporting for team, projects, clients and activities
- Detailed timesheets
- Visual reports and dashboard
Cons of Time Analytics
- No freemium plan
- Chrome extension is still under development
- No integration with Quickbooks (upcoming)
Best for expense control, billing and project budget management.
Money and time are the two main currencies in business, and Harvest takes these both very seriously.
Over 400,000 tracked hours and $13 billion from paid invoices over the last ten years, make it one of the most reliable time monitoring software offered. It’s a time tracking app that helps businesses grow.
- Track expenses and time easily
- Automatically transform tracked time to revenue
- Add time tracking to Asana, Trello, Jira, and Slack
- Integrate with PayPal and Stripe for quicker payments
- Track time as you work or enter the hours all at once
- Integrates with tools your team is familiar with for streamlined workflow
- Get visual summaries of your team’s time spending
- Get visual reports for easier project management
- Free plan – limited to one user and two projects
- Pro – $12 USD per user, per month; unlimited users and projects
Harvest offers a free 30-day trial.
Best for automation and timesheet management for large CPA teams.
BigTime is a time tracking app suitable for accountants, architects, engineers, IT-services firms, marketing firms, legal firms, and scientific and management consultants. It’s a professional service automation software that organizes all your company info in one place. It’s best suited for accountants who need extensive accounting features.
- Timesheets, customizable views, user-driven presets/defaults, and smart lookups
- Expense tracking (billable and non-billable hours, equipment, mileage, reimbursable/non-reimbursable, etc.)
- Custom payment processing, invoicing, and billing
- Business reports and analytics
- Integration with other tools
- Customized timesheets for accountants and clients
- Real-time insight into resource allocations
- Streamlines internal processes
- Focus on data without extra tools
- The Express plan is $10 USD per month per user, with a minimum of five users.
- The Pro plan is $30 USD per month per user, with a minimum of five users.
- The Premier plan is $40 USD per month per user, with a minimum of five users.
BigTime offers a free trial of their timesheet software for accountants.
Best for project (time) budgeting for accounting and tax services.
Myhours is a free time tracking app that aims to unify all features you need to lead a successful accounting business. The software allows its users to get rid of their messy inboxes by streamlining projects from start to finish.
You can also track every step and important metric along the way. For example, you can set up a budget for a project and receive a warning if you are close to overstepping it.
Calculating your firm’s profit is one of the biggest advantages you will get from using Myhours..
- Project and task organization
- Billable rate management
- Detailed time tracking
- Custom and appealing reports
- Timesheets and log approvals
- Email reports for clients
- A sturdy, yet flexible invoicing system
- Task prioritization
- In-app report editing
- Detailed insight into all aspects of your business
- Free plan
- Pro – $6 per user per month
Myhours offers a 14-day free trial.
Best for hourly based billing and billable hours tracking.
While Bill4time is primarily used in legal settings, we find that it’s also suitable for accounting firms. This handy tool provides online invoicing and payments and tracks both expenses and time per project. Additionally, it gives regular reports so you can stay on track with your business’s financial health.
- 256K-bit SSL encryption and SSAE 16 Type II certification
- Creates detailed invoices
- Tracks time to capture revenue-loss
- Creates and edits invoice batches
- Guarantees data safety
- Time tracking for CPAs and accountants
- Manages clients, projects, tasks, accounting, and reports
- Timesheet management system is perfect for CPAs, accounting, tax and audit firms
- Improves productivity
- Software support and integrations
Pricing starts from $29 USD per user, per month for the Time and Billing plan, while the Legal Enterprise plan starts from $89 USD per user, per month.
Bill4Time offers a 14-day free trial.
Best for timesheet management with reminders.
WeWorked timesheets for accountants provides timesheet approval, balance tracking, and billable projects calculation. It’s best suited for small to large businesses that can benefit from automatic time capture, mobile time tracking, and the monitoring of billable and non-billable hours.
Additionally, the software is intuitive, easy to use, and doesn’t require a tutorial or training.
- Tracks time at your location or remotely
- Automatic reminds employees to fill their timesheets
- Reduces billing errors and tracks expenses from anywhere
- Available for browsers, iOS, and Android
- Suitable for remote teams around the world
- Stay on top of the nature of your team’s projects
- Keep your data safe, secure, and encrypted
Pricing depends on the number of users. It starts at $9.99 USD per month for three users and goes up to $79.99 USD per month for 100 users.
WeWorked offers a no-strings-attached free trial.
Best for time scheduling for accountants.
ClickTime will help you easily organize, manage, and track your employee work time. It also provides you with reports on expenses to help reduce project costs and improve operations.
Offers overtime calculation, mobile time tracking, and offline tracking for easy management.
- Employee database, activity tracking, and time organization
- Expense tracking, billing, invoicing, and overtime calculation
- Vacation tracking and time tracking by client or project
- Export reports into different formats
- Simple to set up and use, no need for a training
- Allows you to focus on work and clients, not administration
- Breaks up time according to tasks completed
- Timesheet reporting suitable for accounting and CPA firms
- Summarizes hours by client, project phase, or task
Clicktime offers four pricing plans:
- STARTER – $12 USD per user, per month (includes easy time tracking, 70+ reports, and email reminders)
- TEAM – $16 USD per user, per month (additionally includes approval workflows, advanced billing rates, and time-off management)
- PREMIER – $28 USD per user, per month (additionally includes utilization goals, resource planning, and project budgeting)
- ENTERPRISE – Custom price (includes everything above plus single sign-on, named account manager, and custom integration)
Clicktime offers a 14-day free trial.
8. Time Doctor
Best for productivity calculation based on app and screen tracking (employee monitoring).
Time Doctor is a time-billing accounting software. Time Doctor tracks how your accounting firm uses time, and it provides you with reports and analytics to improve performance.
The software integrates with over 60 tools to make your time management and organization of work activity easier.
- Cloud, SaaS, and web-based time trackers
- Automatic time capture, monitors both employee activity and idle time
- Manage billing, invoicing, timesheets, and billable and non-billable hours
- Online punch card, tracks offline and mobile time
- Tracks employee salaries
- Track and monitor your employee’s projects and tasks
- Offers the flexibility of managing multiple clients
- Helps your accounting firm grow into a company
Time Doctor offers three different plans:
- Basic plan – $7 USD per user, per month
- Standard plan (most popular) – $7 USD per user, per month
- Premium plan – $20 USD per user, per month
Time Doctor offers a 14-day free trial that doesn’t require your credit card info.
9. Toggl Track
Best for small and medium CPA firms.
Toggl Track is a simple yet compelling time tracker and timesheet app for accountants. Even though it’s so simple, it comes with impressive features like idle time detection and tracking reminders. If you have a small team, its free plan should cover your time tracking needs.
- One-click timers for easy tracking
- Provides multi-device support
- Time tracking by client, project, or employee
- Billing, invoicing, and manages billable and non-billable hours
- Mobile and offline time tracking
- Track employee productivity for specific projects
- Categorize tasks and generate weekly reports
- Especially useful if you’re paid by the hour
- Simple timesheet reporting
Toggle Track offers four different pricing plans:
- The free plan is available for up to five users
- Starter – $10 USD per user, per month
- Premium – $20 USD per user, per month
- Enterprise – custom pricing
Read our article on what is included in each Toggl pricing plan.
Toggle Track offers a free 14-day trial.
Robust system best for large accounting and tax teams.
Besides time tracking, Replicon also provides an advanced project management solution with an abundance of features to organize your team’s workflow.
It will help you submit and monitor expenses, manage resources and employee attendance, set estimates and rates for different services, and much more.
- Real-time data validation for dynamic routing
- A centralized platform that will allow you to stay on top of all services
- Capture project hours, in/out time, and apply rates for precise invoicing
- Pre-populated timesheets and GPS tracking
- Mobile timesheets and digital receipts
- Streamline client billing with the invoicing module
- Use intuitive time capture to track billable and non-billable by project
- Avoid billing errors and project delays
Pricing of features that include time tracking starts with $18 USD per user per month.
Replicon offers a full-access 14-day free trial.
Best for simple timesheet management.
Source: TimeCamp web
Time tracking for accountants has been made incredibly easy with TimeCamp — a free time tracker with accounting features. Besides staying on top of your deadlines and project times, TimeCamp will also allow you to keep track of your expenses and control the budget.
This intuitive software will track your time automatically or let you enter it manually.
- Manage all projects in one place
- Keep track of the margin, budget, and expenses
- Control the payroll and manage administrative procedures
- Allocate budget to employees, clients, tasks, or projects
- Create invoices based on tracked hours
- Accurate estimates for predicting future expenses
- Timesheet system management
- Track remote employees with GPS
- Create quotes, define taxes, and track billable and non-billable hours
TimeCamp offers a free plan with unlimited users and projects.
Paid plans include:
- Basic plan for $7 USD per user per month
- Pro plan for $10 USD per user per month.
TimeCamp offers a 14-day free trial.
Best for team resource planning.
Source: Scoro web
Scoro is an end-to-end service automation solution that will allow you to manage your entire team’s workflow. You can schedule and track work, manage projects, lists, and task boards. Scoro also provides you with real-time reporting dashboards.
- Quoting, billing, and advanced reporting
- Advanced calendar and reminder system
- Manage budget, campaign, and contacts
- Cost-to-completion tracking, billing, and invoicing
- Enhances efficient team collaboration
- Streamline projects and optimize time
- Monitor your team’s time use
- Insightful timesheet reporting for accounting firms
- Track productivity and profitability
Scoro offers four pricing plans:
- Essential – $28 USD per user, per month
- Work hub – $42 USD per user, per month
- Sales hub – $42 USD per user, per month
- Ultimate – Custom pricing
Scoro offers a fully-featured 14-day trial, no credit card required.
Best for freelance accountants and small CPA firms.
Clockify is a free time tracker that allows you to track billable hours, productivity, and employee attendance. The software itself is easy to use, and the dashboard is flexible so you can customize it to your team’s needs.
- Project management with billable hourly rates and estimates
- Accurate and effective across multiple platforms
- Granular reports that can be customized to your needs
- Specify time duration for each project
- Track employees’ hourly rates
- Easy-to-use timesheets module
- Integrates with Pixie so you can track time directly from tasks
- Visualize time breakdown for different projects
- Filtering and grouping options for better organization
Clockify offers basic features for free forever. Extra features are given in paid plans:
- Basic –$ 4.99 USD per user, per month
- includes all FREE features, plus time for others, hiding time and pages, required fields, bulk edit, time audit, customized export, project templates, and historical rates
- Standard – $6.99 USD per user per month
- includes all BASIC features plus lock timesheets, time approval, manager role, targets, reminders, import timesheets, task rates, time rounding, invoicing
- Pro – $9.99 USD per user, per month
- includes all STANDARD features plus labor cost and profit, scheduled reports, budget and estimates, alerts, custom fields, force timer, GPS tracking, screenshots
- Enterprise – $14.99 USD per user, per month
- includes all PRO features plus single sign on, custom subdomain, and control accounts
Clockify offers a 7-day free trial so that you can try their extra features.
Best for timesheet management for small firms.
BeeBole is a timesheet management system for accountants working for both small and big companies. The software allows you to track time and control expenses with modules for departments and projects. It’s also GDPR-compliant and multilanguage.
- Custom modules and timesheet approval
- Multiple currencies for billing costs
- Configurable reports and a team calendar
- Employee database, scheduling, and tracking
- Online punch card and offline time tracking
- Track your team’s productivity with automatic time capture
- Calculate overtime, billable, and non-billable hours
- Manage payrolls, budgeting, and forecasting
Pricing starts at 6.99 USD per user per month.
Beebole offers a 30-day free trial.
Best for full accounting projects management and tracking.
Avaza is an intuitive, easy-to-use, responsive project and task management system. Accountants love it for its ability to integrate with Xero, while managers get the most use out of its time scheduling and tracking, and expense management.
- Cloud-based software for client-focused businesses
- Project management and collaboration
- Quoting, invoicing, and task tracking
- Kanban boards task lists, Gantt Charts, status views, priority views
- Easy data import and export
- Project to invoice capabilities
- Effortless collaboration between team and clients
- Seamless integration with QuickBooks
- Provides timesheets suitable for accounting firms
- Free – available with limitation to 1 user with timesheet/expense access
- Startup —$ 9.95 USD per month, with a limitation to 2 users with timesheet/expense access
- Adding new users costs additionally $5 USD per user per month
- Basic — $19.95 USD per month, with limitation to 5 users with timesheet/expense access.
- Adding new users costs additionally 5 USD per user per month
- Business — $39.95 USD per month, with a limitation to 10 users with timesheet/expense access
- Adding new users costs additionally 5 USD per user per month
- There is no limitation to active projects
Avaza offers a free trial.
How to choose the best time tracking tool for accountants?
To answer this question, you need to make a test of some of selected tools.
But, don’t waste your time before you make sure your selected tool contains some following features:
- Tracking time across predefined activities, projects and clients
- Tracking time by running timer od added manually
- Different types of time entry views – daily or calendar view
- Detailed weekly and daily timesheets with option of editing, filtering, exporting in Excel
- Cost rates, billing rates, cost allocation to the projects
- Manager role is important to make team hierarchy
- Powerful reporting showing billable and non-billable hours per team member, client or projects
- Reporting on revenues, cost and profit
- Highest security and privacy standards
- Perfects support options like in-app chat, email support, phone support, video and written tutorials
- Acceptable pricing including, plan variation, free trial, discounts)
If you want to try our product, a simple and efficient onboarding process is ahead of you.
Our support includes in-app chat and written guidelines, booking 30-min live DEMO, email support and more.