High-quality time tracking apps for invoicing can be difficult to find. Even more so if you are looking for a specific toolset.
That’s why we’re here to help you.
Time tracking is becoming an integral element of business in all industries. The practice ensures employee productivity and serves as proof of work. Hence, employers understand its value.
Time tracking logs usually contain all important information on employee activity. This includes different tasks they have worked on and the time they’ve invested in them.
In other words – you can find all the necessary information for an invoice in time logs. Thus, many time tracking solutions now also include invoicing features.
We are here to present the best of the best among them.
The Best Time Tracking Apps for Invoicing – a Comprehensive List
Time Analytics ($4.99 – $8.45)
Scoro ($28 – $71)
ClickTime ($10 – $24)
Timecamp ($8.99 – $11.99)
Hubstaff ($7 – $10)
Clockify ($4.99 – $14.99)
Everhour ($6 – $10)
Time Doctor ($7 – $20)
Toggl Track ($10 – $20)
How Did We Select the Entries?
We wanted to be as accurate as possible in our list. Thus, we had a strict set of criteria we adhered to. All time tracking applications for invoicing we are about to present have these things in common:
- A good set of features
- High reviews
- A good price:solution ratio
- A high level of security
The time tracking process in and of itself shouldn’t be complicated. In fact, taking too long to log time entries can detract the employees from their daily activities.
Many companies offer complex solutions with numerous features for each user. We’ve wanted to present the options that don’t require a lot of time or effort to be accurate.
Hence, our list contains the most convenient time tracking apps for invoicing on the market.
Even though our article will be looking at the two primary features – time tracking and invoicing, we wanted to present other options as well.
As we’ve mentioned, there are different levels of complexity when it comes to these solutions. You should decide whether you want a basic platform or something more versatile.
We wanted to be as accurate as possible in our presentation. Thus, we’ve only included time tracking apps for invoicing that have a good reputation among their users.
Thus, we’ve looked through the apps’ ratings on the biggest rating platforms, Capterra and G2. All the selected solutions have overwhelmingly positive scores.
Value for the Price
Different time tracking solutions have different pricing points. That is why we wanted to make sure our readers will be getting their money’s worth.
Look through our list to find the best solution that won’t be heavy on your budget, but will still cater to your business’s needs.
Using time tracking apps for invoicing means trusting them with important information. Moreover, it’s both your company’s and your clients’ data.
Hence, we wanted to make sure the platforms we are talking about are absolutely secure. The last thing you’d want is a data breach or information theft.
1. Time Analytics
Time Analytics is the first of the time tracking apps for invoicing we will present. It utilizes automatic time clocks and timesheets to get all the data it needs for accurate time billing.
Source: Time Analytics website
Each entry, no matter which tracking method you’re using is connected to its respective project and client. Additionally, each employee can set their billing rate for different projects to ensure accuracy.
Finally, you can mark different activities as either billable or non-billable. In other words, you can avoid confusion or client complaints by being accurate and transparent.
The application is one of time tracking apps for invoicing with a convenient and user-friendly feature kit. However, the features themselves are sturdy and help you make sense of even the most hectic days.
The most important ones are
- Time tracking
- Client & project reports
Time Analytics enables its users to create an accurate proof of work by using the data it collects.
- Billing rates – managers can set up default billing rates for each team member, and the employees can change them to suit the current project
- Editing – deliver crisp appendices with your invoices that show only relevant information
- Exporting – export the appendix and send it to the client either as a printed document or via email
The time tracking aspect of the app allows for accurate time reports and billing.
- Automatic time clock – track tasks in real-time with a click of a button
- Manual time entries – create time entries and assign time to each of them
- Utilization tracking – compare billable and non-billable hours to make sure your projects are profitable
- Editing – edit, copy, and move entries whenever you need to
- Task list – simply choose a pre-existing task and start tracking time on it
Invoices help you communicate with your client. On the other hand, Time Analytics’ timesheets are great for internal use – recognizing issues as well as the biggest advantages you have.
- Overview – see all completed and pending tasks in a comprehensive view
- Mandatory fields – create timesheet templates for quicker handling and prevent missing information
- Time allocation – all entries are connected to their projects and clients, calculating and allocating costs
- Automation – all time clock entries automatically turn into timesheet logs
Project and Client Reports
Even if you do everything perfectly on your side, you can still be in the negative. This is where TA’s reports come in.
- Profit generation – recognize your business’s patterns and improve them where possible
- Performance – find out which projects and clients are the most and least beneficial to your organization
- Profit estimates – learn how much projects cost and bring them in for future reference
Time Analytics offers two plans – Starter and Optimum. You can try them for free in a 14-day trial without any credit card information.
- Price – the annual license will cost you $4.99 per month per user while the monthly license costs $5.99
- Features – the plan includes time tracking, timesheets, a mobile app, time and cost reports, time utilization, cost allocation, and an employee performance dashboard
- Price – the annual license costs 6.99 per user per month and the yearly is $8.45
- Features – everything in Starter, invoicing, revenue reports, email reminders, and custom onboarding
Timely belongs to AI-based time tracking apps for invoicing. This app’s strongest feature is its complete automation. it allows employees to focus on work and does all the time tracking in the background.
Source: Timely website
The application allows its users to track in real-time and keep an eye on project progress and health. It lets managers keep an eye on their team without micromanagement as well.
- Time tracking – simply work on your tasks and let the app take care of time tracking with its AI engine
- Invoicing – create transparent and accurate invoices without missing any billable time
- Project tracking – run your projects and keep on track with help of smart insights
- Starter – $11 per user per month (AI timesheets, automatic reminders, 3 teams, 50 projects)
- Premium – $20 per user per month (real-time project dashboards, data sync, recurring budgets)
- Unlimited – $28 per user per month (employee activity view, overtime tracking, team lead role)
- Unlimited+ – a custom plan
Scoro is among time tracking apps for invoicing that offers a complete toolkit for work management. That is to say, you can use the software to manage projects from beginning to realization.
Source: Scoro website
The suite includes an overview of all activities in the company in a single dashboard. The platform also shows how daily activities – both work and distractions impact the business’s performance.
- Time management – plan how you’ll work and track how well you’re sticking to the plan
- Invoicing – use quotes or employee work reports to create accurate personalized invoices
- Project management – track all changes that happen to your projects in real-time
- Essential – $28 per user per month (project tracking, calendars, invoicing, dashboards)
- Standard – $42 per user per month (Gantt charts, project milestones, time tracker, expenses)
- Pro – $71 per user per month (planner, budgeting, time utilization, labor cost)
- Ultimate – custom pricing (single sign-on, unlimited custom fields, customer portal)
ClickTime is one of the cloud-based time tracking apps for invoicing. It tracks expenses as well and delivers actionable reports on project budgeting, billing, and employee productivity.
Source: ClickTime website
The application also offers a convenient payroll feature. The time tracking feature gives users the options of tracking their time manually or using an automatic time clock.
- Time tracking – fill in timesheets and get reminders when you forget to do it
- Cost tracking – monitor all project-related costs and mark them as either billable or non-billable for accurate invoices
- Pricing estimation – use the collected data to assess your future projects more accurately
- Starter – $10 per user per month (time tracking, built-in reports, email reminders)
- Team – $13 per user per month (workflow approval, time off management, billing rates)
- Premier – $24 per user per month (project budgeting, utilization goals, resource planning)
- Enterprise – custom pricing (single sign-on, account manager role, custom integrations)
Harvest is another one of time tracking apps for invoicing that aims to make the entirety of your workflow easier. This is why the app offers reports, integrations, and simple invoicing and payments.
Source: Harvest website
The application also has a goal of helping its users detect overwork immediately. In other words, it can help you redistribute the workload or decide when it’s time to hire someone new.
- Time tracking – use a simple timer to track the time you dedicate to each task
- Invoicing – create invoices from tracked time and expense information directly from the app
- Reports – show the gathered information in the form of visual graphs that show issues immediately
- Free – free (1 seat and two projects)
- Pro – $12 (unlimited seats and projects)
The free version is extremely limited, and we don’t recommend using it unless you’re a freelancer.
Timecamp is a time tracking application that also offers invoicing and productivity tracking. The application gives you two views of employee activity – a timesheet and a calendar.
Source: Timecamp website
One of the app’s goals is to offer accurate information on team performance. This way the budgeting will be more accurate, and all expenses will be accounted for and allocated.
- Time tracking – let the application gather data on employee activity and translate it into timesheets
- Invoicing – turn the information from the timesheets into invoices with adjustable tax rates
- Productivity tracking – learn about your own work rhythm and reorganize the way you work
- Free – free (unlimited users, projects, and tasks)
- Basic – $8.99 per user per month (management roles, team productivity tracking, billable time)
- Pro – $11.99 per user per month (billing rates, invoicing, screenshots, custom user roles)
- Enterprise – custom plan (self-hosted server, personalized training, private cloud)
The application has a free plan. However, it doesn’t offer many features besides time tracking.
Hubstaff is another of time tracking apps for invoicing that relies on automation. The app synchronizes between different devices. This makes it a great option for field and hybrid teams.
Source: Hubstaff website
Hubstaff delivers insightful and actionable reports that can help you make smart business decisions. The app gives you an overview of expenses and forecasts the budget as well.
- Time tracking – let a time clock track time against projects and tasks as accurately as possible
- Invoicing – use tracked data to create invoices for the billable hours that went into all projects
- Reporting – take a single look at a project report to determine whether it’s profitable
- Desk free – free (time tracking, activity levels, limited reports. Single user)
- Desk starter – $7 per user per month (unlimited screenshots, reports, idle timeout. 2 users minimum)
- Desk pro – $10 per user per month (app and URL tracking, payroll, time off tracking. 2 users minimum)
- Enterprise – custom pricing (VIP support, HIPAA compliance, single sign-on)
The software has a free plan for one user with limited functionality.\
Clockify is another one of time tracking apps for invoicing that offers both automatic time tracking and timesheets as proof of work. Additionally, it has an URL and website tracker that identifies distractions.
Source: Clockify website
The application offers an extensive reporting suite that shows both employee activity and the organization’s performance. Finally, you can manage all crucial aspects of your business directly from its dashboard.
- Time tracking – use the timer to get accurate tracking results or write directly in the timesheets
- Invoicing – create accurate invoices automatically based on the collected information
- Reports – keep an eye on activity and productivity and make accurate forecasts
- Free – free (time tracking, timesheets, calendar, idle detection)
- Basic – $4.99 per user per month (required fields, project templates, breaks, bulk edit)
- Standard – $6.99 per user per month (invoicing, time off, attendance, task rates)
- Pro – $9.99 per user per month (scheduling, forecasting, estimates, expense tracking)
- Enterprise – $14.99 per user per month (SSO, control accounts, custom subdomain, audit log)
The app has a free version that offers some basic time tracking features.
TopTracker belongs among time tracking apps for invoicing geared both toward organizations and freelancers. The platform creates invoices and allows payments via integration with Payoneer.
Source: TopTracker website
The app relies on hotkeys to track time. In other words, all you have to do is type a hotkey to allocate time to a specific activity. you can overview all projects and get detailed reports on productivity as well.
- Time tracking – use hotkeys to start and stop tracking time, as well as edit existing entries
- Invoicing – use the information from the app to create invoices for your clients automatically
- Reporting – see how your time is spent with real-time summaries across projects
Everhour is a time tracker with invoicing that promises effortless budgeting, invoicing and payroll management. The app offers a list view and a project overview that shows all tasks that make up a project.
Source: Everhour website
The platform integrates with 40+ popular online business solutions. Users can set up estimates for their incoming tasks and compare them to the time the tasks actually take.
- Time tracking – add time entries manually or use a time clock to track time on tasks
- Invoicing – manage fixed-fee, time and material-based, and non-billable tasks for accurate invoicing
- Task management – create and assign tasks to team members along with deadlines
- Free – free (simple time tracking and limited reporting) – up to 5 users
- Lite – $6 per user per month (clients, billable rates, invoicing, reminders, API) – minimum 2 users, maximum 10
- Team – $10 per user per month (unlimited users, all integrations, time off tracking, expenses) – minimum 5 users
The app has a free version with limited options for time tracking and basic reports
11. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is one of the oldest time tracking apps for invoicing on the market. In other words, it’s been tried and true for a while. It also has one of the strictest employee monitoring policies on the market.
Source: TimeDoctor website
The application looks into your business’s performance and delivers reports. These insights can be used both to help your team and to help you lead a profitable organization.
- Time tracking – use a timer to make sure everyone is getting the best out of their workweek
- Invoicing – create accurate invoices based on the time invested in different projects
- Monitoring – understand the biggest distractions and keep everyone as productive as possible
- Basic – $7 per user per month (time and activity tracking, unlimited screenshots, tasks, and projects)
- Standard – $10 per user per month (payroll, 60+ integrations, app, and URL tracking, email notifications)
- Premium – $20 per user per month (client login, video screen captures, VIP support)
12. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is one of the best-designed time trackers at the moment. The pleasant interface and intuitive features help all users track their time effortlessly.
Source: TogglTrack website
The application’s goal is to help its users measure profitability and design and optimize workflows that will keep the entire team engaged, but not overwhelmed.
- Time tracking – use the simple one-click tracking system to measure time spent on tasks automatically
- Invoicing – invoice clients as transparently as possible using the app’s data
- Reporting – receive information on your team’s and business’s performance to help you make the next step
- Free – free (time tracking, projects, clients, CSV imports, integrations) – for 5 users or fewer
- Starter – $10 per user per month (billable rates, tasks, time rounding, templates, time estimates)
- Premium – $20 per user per month (fixed fee projects, forecasts, audits, reminders)
- Enterprise – custom pricing (priority support, expert implementation, multiple workspaces)
How Do I Choose the Best app for My Team?
There are many variables to keep an eye on when choosing the app you will be using. They include
- Your industry
- The size of your organization
- Your budget
- The app’s ease of use
- Available features
If you’re looking for a lightweight, yet powerful, solution, Time Analytics could be just the right choice for you.
The application doesn’t require a lot of time, nor does it interrupt your employees’ workflow. On the other hand, it gathers enough information to give you accurate and actionable reports.
the infrastructure of the application isn’t complicated, but it is extremely sturdy. Hence, the pricing is affordable while maintaining the highest level of functionality.
Jelena has a Master’s Degree in teaching Serbian literature and language. Creative writing is her biggest passion.