Looking for the best time tracking tool for your law practice?
Finding software for a law firm that fits the needs of your team is never easy. There are a lot of options of legal time tracking software with different benefits, features, integrations, pricing models, and more.
But don’t worry, we’ve done that work for you.
In this article, we’ve selected the fifteen best time tracking tools for lawyers with a detailed analysis of their benefits, and pricing plans.
Let’s get started.
Best time tracking software for lawyers at a glance
There are plenty of legal time management software providers on the market. Each one has different features, pricing plans, and support options. Let’s see the review of the best tools.
Best for small and medium law firms with a wide range of legal services.
Time Analytics is our first (albeit biased) choice of time tracking software for lawyers. The software streamlines the process of time tracking by integrating automatic time clocks and timesheets. At the same time, it associates each entry with the corresponding project and client. It offers the added flexibility for employees to personalize billing rates for various projects, ensuring precision in the invoicing process.
With Time Analytics, you can efficiently and effectively monitor and bill for your legal services, ultimately reducing errors and elevating client satisfaction to new heights.
Source: Time Analytics website
A. Time tracking
This easy-to-use feature helps attorneys to track their time and increase productivity:
- Time tracking across different legal services, projects, clients
- Add or edit time manually
- Create and edit billable vs non-billable activities
- Add notes to each timer
- Different workspace view options: daily list or calendar view
- Billing and labor rates
- Automatic labor cost allocation to the projects
- Time-off tracking of attorney team (vacation, daily breaks, etc..)
B. Analytics of legal services and project performance
- Insight into billing efficiency and billable hours per client and services
- Watch hourly rate-based revenue per client
- Watch which legal expertise is the most profitable
- Weekly or monthly email summary reports
C. Review the attorney’s productivity
- Timesheets: Review, edit, filter and export
- Reporting on billable hours and time utilization for each attorney
- Reporting fee earned per attorneys
- Team performance for each client or project
D. Create transparent and accurate invoices
- Review all services and tasks your team did for clients
- Review billable hours for each client
- Export invoice to Excel and make final adjustments
- In-app chat
- In-app tutorials
- Written help articles
- Email support
- Booking 1:1 live demo
Time Analytics uses AWS data centers in the EU west zone. The services and data are hosted in Amazon Web Services (AWS) facilities (eu-west-2a) in Europe (United Kingdom). Hosting of the SaaS application is in a Privacy Shield Certified or ISO 27001 certified data center. Amazon Web Services ISO 27001 Compliance – Amazon Web Services (AWS).
All communication between the server and the client (browser, mobile, and desktop) is encrypted by using SSL encryption (HTTPS)
Time Analytics backs up the data every day, and the backup is kept for one week before it is removed.
Time analytics offers two plans:
- Starter: $4.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $5.99 (billed monthly)
- Optimum: $6.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $8.45 (billed monthly)
- Free trial: 14 days
- Credit card requirement during the trial: No
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a special pricing discount.
Pros of Time Analytics
- Easy to use and friendly interface
- Powerful reporting for teams, projects, clients, and activities
- Detailed timesheets
Cons of Time analytics
- Even though the mobile interface is responsive, a mobile app is still under development
- No freemium plan
Best for visualizing time entries and tracking billable hours for attorneys
Myhours is one of the best options among time tracking software for lawyers. This simple solution can help law firms coordinate projects and tasks, track hours, and create reports for clients.
Myhours provides an intuitive interface for filling out tasks and time, and offers insightful timesheets.
- Coordinate a team, projects, and tasks with excellent timesheets
- Work hours and expenses tracking (per clients, projects, and tasks)
- Tracking project profitability and profit margins
- Advanced time analytics and reporting
The free version is available for teams that are just getting started with time tracking. There are no limitations in terms of team members or projects.
The paid version starts at $8 per user per month, or $9 if paid monthly.
Myhours offers a 30-day free trial. No credit card is required.
Pros of My hours
- Easy to run customized reports on payroll days
- The team responds swiftly and competently every time
- The screens are uncluttered
Cons of My hours
- Integration with third-party applications such as Jira or Github is required
- Lack of automated daily reminders for employees to fill timesheets
- The mobile app lacks weekly timesheet entry
Best for teams of all sizes, simple law firm time and billing software
Source: Beebole website
Beebole is a secure time and billing software for lawyers, ideal for tracking time. With Beebole’s mobile or desktop app, you can easily track time whether you have a connection or not. Beebole can help lawyers and attorneys manage the time spent on cases and clients, and with its easy-to-use and customizable reporting features, they can get deep insight into where their team’s time is going and how to improve their efficiency.
- Deep insights into where your team’s time is going
- Easy-to-use time tracking interface to track billable and nonbillable hours
- Customizable reporting and configuration to fit your exact needs
- Google add-on and Excel add-in for automated reporting
- 11 languages
- Customer service during both North American and European business hours
- $6.99 per user per month (billed monthly)
- 10% discount when billed annually
- 30 days of trial period
Pros of Beebole
- Completely adaptable and customizable to fit your organization’s needs
- Mobile apps and desktops can be used without an internet connection
- In-depth reports that be assigned and sent to users of your choice
- Easy-to-use interface
Cons of Beebole
- A small learning curve while setting up Beebole for your team
- Integration can be tricky
- Web app could be improved
Best for visual time scheduling and automation in time tracking.
Source: Timely website
Timely is a trusted time tracking software for law firms that automates time recording. With Timely, each team member can focus on work that matters.
It’s a user-friendly and remote-ready solution with high privacy protection.
- Track time – automated time tracking
- Track team – monitor employee capacity, hours, and overtime
- Track projects – plan, collaborate, and organize projects effectively
- Project and team planning — plan and schedule all resources from one place
- Integration with other solutions such as Asana, Trello, Jira, Toggl, Zappier, Google Calendar, and many others
- Build – $25 per month (up to 7 users)
- Elevate – $35 per month + transaction fees
- Innovate – $40 per user per month + transaction fees
- Timely offers a 14-day free trial. No credit card is required.
Pros of Timely
- Simplicity and automation are the best features.
- You can launch the app and forget it
- The drag-and-drop interface for adding hours is easy to work with
Cons of Timely
- AI system doesn’t categorize logged hours after some repetitive tasks automatically
- Absence of ‘auto-log’ hours that match certain criteria.
- It doesn’t use the order from Google calendar when inputting or transferring over to Timely
Best for hours tracking for professional services.
Source: AccountSight website
AccountSight is a time tracking and billing software for professional service companies. This legal time and billing software solution features complete DCAA Compliance.
This online time tracker is easy to use via any device or platform (mobile apps are available for Android and iOS).
- Intuitive and user-friendly time tracker
- Easy and convenient expense tracker
- Flexible and elegant invoicing
- Powerful and insightful reporting
- Quick and professional project estimates
- Seamless and efficient integrations
- Timesheet integration with Quickbooks
There are four pricing plans:
- Free: limited to 1 user, 5 clients and 5 projects
- Basic: $10 per user, per month (2-5 users pack)
- Small Group: $9 per user, per month (6-20 users pack)
- Enterprise: $8 per user, per month
- AccountSight offers a 30-day free trial.
Pros of AccountSight
- Simple interface
- All-inclusive tools with a free option
- It’s easy to monitor all activities without problems
Cons of AccountSight
- The mobile platform won’t allow you to create new tasks to assign to projects
- Does not allow for accounts receivable or credits to the billing invoice.
- Some of the functionalities are an unwieldy
Best for remote and hybrid legal teams.
Source: RescueTime website
RescueTime helps law firms to learn about their total time usage and make smart time management decisions.
This lawyer billing software is one of the best legal time and billing software solutions available. It is used by millions of people and businesses worldwide.
- Automatic time tracking – time spent on apps, websites, etc.
- Time reports – breakdowns of where time is spent
- Productivity reports
- Project and document time tracking – track how much time is spent on each document or app
- FocusTime distraction blocker
- Weekly, monthly, and annual reports
RescueTime doesn’t list its pricing plans publically. If you are interested in the platform, contact their sales team directly.
Check out our article on what is included in RescueTime pricing plans.
Pros of RescueTime
- RescueTime can track the titles of the documents in every app
- Automatic triggers can help you save time from distractions
- It is simple and straightforward
Cons of RescueTime
- The customization of categories can be a little restrictive
- The exportation feature doesn’t have too many options
- The report is missing pieces of information
Best for timesheets and cost-effective projects.
Source: actiTime website
actiTime is a popular time and billing software for lawyers. This cloud-based platform allows you to track project scope, tasks, and assignments, and monitor each project’s activities and resources.
With this attorney time and billing software, attorneys can record their work hours manually or use the included timer. A mobile app is also available.
- Project scope management and work assignment
- Work hours recording (manually or with timer)
- Task workflow management
- Insightful reports — project performance, attorney’s outputs, and results, profit
- Many customization options are available
- Cost and billing reports
- Integration with Zapier and Quickbooks
- The free version comes with limited functionalities and is available for 1-3 users
- 1-40 users — $7 per user, per month, billed monthly
- 41-200 users — $6 per user, per month, billed monthly
- 200+ users – fixed costs – customized pricing
- actiTime offers a fully functional 30-day trial with unlimited users.
Pros of actiTime
- Ability to have a follow-up time on a weekly timesheet
- Keeping all projects and tasks of the company in one place
- Full insight into the performance of team members
Cons of actiTime
- The interface needs improving
- Unable to configure employee reports on his time records
- The pricing plan isn’t cheap
Best for Freelance Lawyers and Legal Professionals.
Source: Indy website
Indy’s time tracker is simple, easy to use, and perfect for those working on their own. The time tracker lets you start and stop tracking time with a single click.
Time tracks can be billed at differing rates to account for billable and non-billable hours. You can set variable rates for each client. When you’re ready to send a bill, a few clicks will add your unbilled hours to an invoice ready to send for payment.
- Simple interface that is intuitive to use
- Start, pause, and end time tracking easily
- Assign time tracks to projects
- Each time tracker entry can have its own billing rate
- Add unbilled hours to invoices quickly
- Free trial with a limited number of invoices
- $12/month for access to time tracking, proposal, contract, and invoice tools
Pros of Indy
- Being able to connect my existing Google calendar
- Easily sending contracts to clients and getting them stored in one place
- Invoicing is easy to use and helps to avoid all kinds of attachments.
Cons of Indy
- Only being able to assign one client who can be able to pay invoices
- There is no button to see a particular contract
- Lack of templates for emails and need for automation for things to flow easily
Best for large law firms.
Source: Amberlo website
Amberlo is not only an attorney billing software but also a comprehensive solution for law firms. Besides time and expense tracking, this legal practice solution provides a host of managerial tools and features. Amberlo offers options for onboarding new clients, client emailing, and billing. It can also record every minute worked automatically.
- Time and expense tracking
- Contact management
- Matter management
- Legal calendaring
- Legal billing
- Email management
- Document management
- Trust accounting
- Solo: free
- Grow:€29 per user, per month, billed annually. €35, when billed monthly
- Premium:€39 per user, per month, when billed annually. €49, when billed monthly.
- Enterprise: custom pricing
- Amberlo offers a free 7-day trial.
- The attractive design of vibrant colors
- Very intuitive interface
- The board is not overwhelming
Cons of Amberlo
- It needs better mobile applications for the on-to-go process
- Missing the integration with google drive or dropbox
- More performance statistics are needed each month
Best for billable time and billing rate tracking.
Source: Tmetric website
TMetric is a straightforward legal billing and time tracking software that supports businesses so they can grow, increase profits, and efficiently manage a workforce. With this time tracking app, you’ll learn which services bring more profits and which clients are of greater importance. TMetric is available on most popular platforms such as macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Time tracking (tracking with a timer, adding time manually)
- Project management (setting projects, project’s billable hourly rates, and budgets, deadline tracking)
- Billing – accurate invoicing data
- Team management (task assignment, productivity measurement, workflow monitoring)
- Flexible reporting system
- Free: basic time tracking and flexible reporting available for up to five users
- Business: $7 per user, per month (includes additional options such as billable rates and money tracking, billing, project budgeting, task management)
- Professional: $5 per user, per month (includes additional options such as screenshots capturing, time-off tracking, time tracking permissions, integration with Jira and QuickBooks)
- All pricing plans include a free 30-day trial.
Pros of TMetrics
- Tracking time is incredibly easy
- Ability to set up the Chrome extension that can add time-tracking for you with websites
- The support team is friendly and eager to assist at any time
Cons of TMetrics
- Lack of reports to see how much time is planned in relation to what is actually spent on tasks
- The mobile app has pretty limited functionality
- Screen capture on applications is limited on ChromeOS
Best for small and medium law firms and agencies.
Source: Timesolv website
TimeSolv is a comprehensive legal time and billing software that has solutions for many challenges that law firms face. This isn’t only a lawyer billing software. It also provides budget management, staff monitoring, accurate and transparent invoicing, and insightful reporting.
The software integrates with QuickBooks, Xero Accounting, LexCharge, LawPay, and Office 365.
- Time tracking
- Document management
- Project management
- Expense tracking
- 1-4 users – $43.95 per user per month
- 5-14 – users $41.95 per user per month
- 15 + users – $39.95 per user per month
- TimeSolv offers a 30-day trial.
If you’re not satisfied with TimeSolv after six months of active use, they can refund you the money in case you completed the training sessions.
Pros of TimeSolv
- The ability to set up abbreviations for commonly used time entries of up to 2000 characters
- Easy to print and send invoices
- Time entry is very easy
Cons of TimeSolv
- Sometimes entries need to move, there is a need for a new shortcut
- Reporting can use more customization and features
- It’s difficult to create a flat fee invoice
Best for task management and billable time tracking and billing
Source: todo website
todo isn’t only a time tracking app. It’s also a robust task management solution that impacts daily productivity. This tool is suitable for legal consultants of smaller law practices as it helps them work with multiple internal and client-related projects.
- CRM – manage customer’s contacts
- Task management (checklists, calendar sync, repeating tasks, snooze tasks, conversation tracking)
- Time tracking – simple and intuitive tracking tools
- Time billing – manage attorneys’ billing rates for projects and provide an accurate invoice to clients
- SOLO FREE – ideal for freelancers (limited to one user)
- BUSINESS TIME – $9 per user, per, month (tasks time and billing for teams)
- Todo offers a fully functional 14-day trial for an unlimited number of users.
Capped price is $99 per month, so you never pay more than the capped price, no matter how many users you add.
Pros of todo
- Powerful third-party integrations
- Track everything you or your team does
- Phone app really fast and free
Cons of todo
- The checklists seem a bit redundant to the capabilities of the task
- The application crashes sometimes without any specified reason
- A highly limited storage place
Billable hours tracking and Billing Law Firms of all sizes.
Source: Freshbooks website
FreshBooks is a comprehensive business management software that includes a time tracking feature.
- Insightful Time Tracking
- Easy Invoicing
- Organize Expenses Effortlessly
- Seamlessly Collaborate on Projects
- Easy To Understand Reports
- Easy-To-Use Double-Entry Accounting
- Work Anywhere with the FreshBooks Mobile App
- Integration with: Stripe, Gmail, slack, mailchimp, bench, and many others
- Lite: $8.50 – limited to 5 billable clients
- Plus: $15 – limited to 50 billable clients
- Premium: $27.50 unlimited billable clients
- Select: custom pricing
- You can have unlimited access to FreshBooks for 30 days, with no contracts and no credit card required
Pros of FreshBooks
- Transformation workflow from doing manual work to automatic
- Very easy-to-use interface
- Time tracking seamlessly integrates with billing
Cons of FreshBooks
- No built-in payroll module.
- The software application version is not always up to date
- The platform isn’t very intuitive
Excellent for all aspects of law firm practice management.
Source: App4legal website
App4Legal isn’t just a time tracking software for lawyers, but a complete law practice management solution.
- Legal matter management
- Case management
- Time tracking
- Task management
- Litigation management
- Client management
- Notifications system
- Basic: $8 per user, per month
- Business plan: $18 per user, per month
- Enterprise plan: $25 per user, per month
- Enterprise+ – custom pricing
- App4Legal offers a 30-day free trial.
The above prices are applicable to month-to-month payments. In the case of annual payment this lawyer time tracking software with discounted prices.
Server version price is 43 USD per user, per month (billed annually)
Pros of App4Legal
- Accessing information from anywhere through the mobile application
- The interface is simple but very intuitive
- Configuration is quite simple
Cons of App4Legal
- Data Flow and Reporting
- Too robust for SMBs
- The terms in the software don’t match with some region
Best for automatic time tracking and employee monitoring.
Source: Apploye website
Apploye is renowned for its simple interface. This attorney time and billing software provides advanced time tracking, productivity mapping, employee monitoring, payroll, and invoicing. It has remote employee monitoring tools comprising a GPS location tracker, geofencing, and the ability to track time at a job location. It has an intuitive desktop and mobile app.
- Automatic time tracking, Pomodoro timer, manual time entry,
- Apps and URLs tracking, screenshots, idle time monitoring,
- GPS location tracker, geofencing, scheduling, reports, project billing,
- Client, invoice, tax, discount, budgeting, alerts, time off,
- Payroll, task management, timesheet, activity tracking,
- Standard:$5 per person per month
- Premium:$6 per person per month
- Elite:$7 per person per month
- It has a trial period of 10 days
Pros of Apploye
- Perfect for understanding the real cost of implementing a project inside the team
- Easy it is to use and helpful it is in ensuring employee productivity
Cons of Apploye
- Feeling uncomfortable with the screenshots
- Reporting has great potential to be enhanced
Need Help Choosing the Right Time Tracking Software?
If you have any questions about features, pricing, or any other aspects of time tracking, let us know.
If you want to try Time Analytics, we’ll guide you to the simple and efficient onboarding process with full support from our team:
- In-app help articles
- In-app chat
- Quick demo video
- Help to set up your team, projects, clients, and tasks
Remember that you can always book a 1:1 demo with our team and we show you which benefits and pricing plans best fit your needs.
Bojan Radojicic, Master Degree in Economics, is a financial performance consultant with more than 15 years of experience. He is responsible for adding value services based on innovative solutions.