Are you on the lookout for the perfect DeskTime alternative? Look no further, because we have some great solutions for you.
DeskTime is a powerful time tracking engine with employee monitoring features. It was built to help businesses keep an eye on performance and productivity.
Yet, the software comes with some drawbacks.
One of the biggest issues is the inability to track time per task. In other words, its reporting cannot be as accurate as most other solutions on the market.
Secondly, limited tracking means limited reporting. This also means that the platform cannot fulfill the invoicing demands some business owners strive for.
Thus, we want to showcase some of the best DeskTime alternatives. This will help you make an informed decision before purchasing.
DeskTime Alternatives – a List
Time Analytics ($4.99-$6.99/user/month )
Timely ($11-$6.99/user/month )
ActivTrak ($10-$17/user/month )
Desklog ($3.5-$4.5/user/month )
TimeCamp ($7.99-$10.99/user/month )
Toggl Track ($10-$20/user/month )
Time Doctor ($7-$20/user/month )
Apploye ($4-$7/user/month )
Hubstaff ($7-$10/user/month )
Timing ($10-$18/user/month )
Jibble ($2.99-$5.99/user/month )
ManicTime ($25-$67/user/month )
RescueTime ($12/user/month )
Clockodo ($10-$13/user/month )
1. Time Analytics
Time Analytics is a time tracking solution that relies on online timesheets. this DeskTime alternative was created to help businesses discover issues before they become prevalent.
The solution is also user-oriented. In other words, it allows users to track time in a matter of minutes. Hence, they will be able to maintain their workflow and productivity.
The solution is trust-based and doesn’t have any monitoring features. This way your employees won’t feel like you don’t trust them. However, you will still be able to catch slackers due to powerful reporting.
Time tracking with Time Analytics is very simple and quick. The platform is based on smart timesheets. however, users have two options when it comes to creating time entries.
Firstly, they can log their time completely manually, directly in the timesheets. All entries are connected to their respective projects and clients. Hence, time and expense allocation is automated.
You can also use an automated time clock to track time without any guesstimation. Additionally, the platform provides
- A task list to choose from
- Customizable hourly billing rates
- A switch to mark tasks as either billable or non-billable
- The option to edit, move and copy time entries
Client and Project Reporting
Projects and clients are crucial to business profitability. Thus, Time Analytics offers reports on both. The feature was designed to help users manage current projects as well as make more accurate estimates in the future.
Paying close attention to key performance indicators for clients and projects is the best way to identify the biggest profitability issues. You will be able to find unfavorable projects and their key issues.
The most important options for this feature are
- Profit generation optimization
- Profit estimates for future projects
- Automatic cost allocation and control
- Identifying low-performing clients to help you rethink your strategies
Any business is as strong as its team. That is why many organizations dedicate a lot of time and effort to tracking their employees.
Time Analytics allows you to do just that. However, the platform prevents micromanagement and allows the employees’ work to speak for itself. This is an important issue if you want to maintain a positive relationship with your team.
Here is how you can keep an eye on your team
- Overtime tracking to identify struggling team members
- Time off tracking for maximum transparency
- Unrecorded hours tracking to see if everyone is working their full allotted hours
- Insights into the task structure of all team members
- Goal tracking
As we’ve previously stated, timesheets are the platform’s engine. These documents contain all information on employee tasks and progress.
The timesheets are extremely simple to fill in thanks to a template-building feature. Namely, you can create templates that contain all information you need as mandatory fields. This way no one will forget to provide crucial data.
Hence, administrative work will be significantly reduced. There are no unnecessary fields, and all hours and costs will be automatically allocated to clients.
A business’s reputation is one of the most important elements of success. Time Analytics helps businesses achieve higher transparency toward their clients via its invoicing assistant.
You can create itemized lists of all tasks that go into any project in minutes. These reports can be exported and sent to clients in an instant.
The purpose of the appendices is to make your service as clear as possible. It also proves why projects take the time they do as well as their pricing.
Time Analytics and Client Security
Client security is one of Time Analytics’s top priorities. We are aware that our clients are providing the system with important business information. Hence, we are taking the necessary steps to protect that data.
All information the employees provide is encrypted. This is the case when it comes to passwords and credit card information too, providing complete safety.
The information is never stored within the platform. It is, instead backed up daily for ultimate precision.
Time Analytics offers two pricing plans.
- Task project, and client time tracking
- Time off tracking
- Utilization reports
- Cost reviews
- Time and cost allocation
- Performance dashboard
- Everything in Starter
- Invoice creator
- Profit reports
- Email reminders
- Customized onboarding
You can get the Starter for $5.99 per user per month and the Optimum for $8.45. Both plans include a 14-day free trial without asking for credit card information.
Source: Timely website
Timely is a DeskTime alternative that heavily relies on automation. The platform runs in the background, requiring almost no interaction from the users.
The application offers a high level of monitoring. Namely, it tracks time spent in apps, tracks URLs the employees frequent, as well as the time they spend away from their devices.
- Time tracking – automatic time tracking that still provides privacy
- Team tracking – see what your team members have been up to regarding their tasks and hours
- Project tracking – monitor set budgets and project progress in real-time
- Plan tracking – see whether you are following your set goals
- Starter (50 projects and 3 teams) – $11 per user per month
- Premium (unlimited projects and teams) – $18 per user per month
- Unlimited (unlimited projects, teams, and features) – $26 per user per month
- Unlimited+ – custom plan and pricing
Source: Activtrak website
ActivTrak is a DeskTime alternative that relies on time tracking insights to identify problems. The platform offers insights into the best way to handle the workload and achieve work-life balance.
The application is cloud-based and monitors device activity. However, it doesn’t record it – for example, keystrokes are observed, rather than reading them. Then, the platform uses the collected data in its productivity reports.
- Employee monitoring – see how much the employees are engaging with their tasks
- Reports – receive business insights and information on the best performers via visual dashboards
- Productivity insights – view team productivity reports in great detail
- User management – invite team members, group them, give them permissions, and assign tasks
The pricing below refers to yearly subscriptions.
- Free (teams of up to 3, 30 days data history) – free
- Essentials (unlimited users with a 5-user minimum, 6 months history) – $10 per user per month
- Professional (unlimited users with a 5-user minimum, one-year history) – $17 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan and pricing
Source: Desklog website
Desklog is a DeskTime alternative that offers a high level of employee monitoring. The application runs in the background and takes note of the visited apps and URLs, as well as levels of activity.
The application was created to help businesses optimize and streamline their workflows. Deep insights it provides help all managers catch problems in time to fix them constructively.
- Time tracking – track total time as well as productive and unproductive hours
- Monitoring – take screenshots and keep an eye on apps, URLs, and document titles
- Shift management – create schedules that suit the entire team
- Idle time tracking – recognize the time your team members have spent away from their devices
- Free (unlimited users and projects, idle time tracker) – free
- Business (billing and invoicing, shift management, reports) – $3.5 per user per month
- Enterprise (leave management, app categorization, URL tracking) – $4.5 per user per month
Source: TimeCamp website
TimeCamp is a time tracking app that allows all users to track time manually or automatically. all entered information is then turned into timesheet logs.
The app gives you the opportunity to improve your established workflow by tracking team performance. Resource and time tracking help users understand what goes into the projects.
- Time tracking – let the app run in the background or create time entries
- Productivity tracking – monitor the apps and URLs your employees visit
- Budgeting – plan your budgets and make sure you’re remaining profitable
- Reporting – get a deep insight into your team’s performance
- Invoicing – create invoices based on the data the app has collected
- Free (unlimited tasks, users, and projects) – free
- Basic (reports, time rounding, integrations, management roles) – $7.99 per user per month
- Pro (invoicing, billing rates, screenshots, timesheet approval) – $10.99 per user per month
- Enterprise (private cloud, self-hosted server, organized training) – custom plan and pricing
6. Toggl Track
Source: Toggl Track website
Toggl Track is a DeskTime alternative with a beautiful interface and a user-friendly design. Its reports are also highly visual and easy to understand.
Additionally, the app features an extensive budgeting suite. This way, users are able to stay within their plans. Time tracking is automated and non-distracting.
- Time tracking – let the application log employee hours automatically
- Budgeting – create and track budgets for all projects to keep them favorable
- Payroll – use the logged hours to calculate employees’ pay
- Billing – create a proof of work using the data the app has collected
- Reporting – build a more efficient workflow based on insightful reports
- Free (unlimited clients and projects) – free
- Starter (time tracking per task, time rounding, billing rates, estimates) – $10 per user per month
- Premium (audits, timesheet templates, fixed fee projects, reminders) – $20 per user per month
- Enterprise (multiple workspaces, priority support, custom training) – custom plan and pricing
7. Time Doctor
Source: Time Doctor website
Time Doctor is one of the most famous time tracking solutions on the market. It is a complex application with numerous and varied features, including many monitoring options.
The time tracking process is automated, which eliminates human error. Accurate reports help companies of all sizes workshop their current task structure and optimize it.
- Employee monitoring – track time and activity and receive screenshots
- Payroll – automatically calculate your employees’ pay based on their hours
- Budgeting – plan and realize projects from start to finish
- Reports – receive reports on all important elements of your business
- Distraction alerts – employees will be reminded to refocus when their activity dwindles
- Basic (unlimited screenshots, time tracking, activity monitoring) – $7 per user per month
- Standard (URL and app tracking, integrations, payroll) – $10 per user per month
- Premium (VOP support, video proof of work, client login) – $20 per user per month
Source: Apployee website
Apploye is a DeskTIme alternative with productivity tracking and optimization features. The application has calendar-like timesheets that leave no room for uncertainty.
Timesheets need to be approved by managers for maximum accuracy. The application also has a payroll feature that ensures all employees are paid accurately.
- Time tracking – track in-office and remote employees’ time accurately
- Scheduling – create shifts that take availability into account
- Task management – create and assign tasks to your team members
- Budgeting – make sure you are remaining profitable by monitoring expenses
- Payroll – accurately calculate employee pay every month
- Invoicing – send your client accurate invoices based on collected data
- Solo (single user, time tracking, task management, budgeting, invoices) – $4
- Standard (calendar dashboard, integrations, payroll, real-time tracking) – $5 per user per month
- Premium (geofence, employee and project views, GPS location) – $6 per user per month
- Elite (app and URL tracking, activity reports, screenshots) – $7 per user per month
Source: Hubstaff website
Hubstaff is a DeskTime alternative that tracks both time and employee activity. this combination allows the platform to deliver accurate insights into teams and businesses.
If you are running a field or remote team, the GPS feature of the app could be extremely beneficial. The employees don’t have to waste time as the app collects data and turns it into timesheets.
- Time tracking – keep an eye on the way your team organizes time while working
- Timesheets – receive comprehensive overviews of your team’s activities
- Reports – customize the information you receive based on the collected data
- Time clock – let your employees simply clock in, no matter their location
- Geofencing – make sure every employee is at the right site
- Desk free (single user) – free of charge
- Desk starter (one integration, idle time detection, screenshots) – $7 per user per month, 2 user minimum
- Desk pro (app and website tracking, payroll, invoicing) – $10 per user per month, 2 user minimum
- Enterprise – custom plan and pricing
Source: Timing website
Timing is a time tracking tool designed to improve employee focus. The application collects data on user activities automatically.
You can take a look at the time you’ve spent on your device in full and analyze it. Logging is based on a simple drag-and-drop system that simplifies the use additionally.
- Time tracking – track your time at work automatically or manually
- Monitoring – track document titles, user screen time, and activity levels
- Reports – receive insights into your team and overall business
- Integrations – combine Timing with your favorite software tools
- Professional (single user, automatic and manual time tracking, daily timelines) – $10
- Expert (iOS app, call, meeting, and calendar event tracking) – $13 per user per month
- Connect (teams, project sharing, web app) – $18 per user per month
Source: Jibble website
Jibble is a lightweight DeskTime alternative that tracks time and attendance. It also features payroll management via the data it collects.
The app has a heavy accent on security. Hence, it provides a facial recognition feature that helps monitor remote teams. Otherwise, time tracking is simple with a clock-in and out system.
- Time tracking – use the time clock and timesheets for accurate entry logging
- Face recognition – make sure attendance logs are accurate and avoid buddy punching
- GPS tracking – know whether your team members are at the right location
- Vacation tracker – understand time off accrual at a glance
- Payroll – calculate payroll accurately with the data the application provides
- Project time tracking – understand how much time goes into specific types of projects
- Free (small team time tracking, verification, and real-time alerts) – free
- Premium (workgroups, 3 kiosks, device restrictions, geofencing) – $2.99 per user per month
- Ultimate (unlimited locations, admins, and groups, client time tracking) – $5.99 per user per month
- Enterprise (enterprise account manager, 2-factor authentication, onboarding manager) – custom plan and pricing
Source: ManicTime website
ManicTime is a DeskTime alternative that caters to freelancers and organizations of all sizes. It provides accurate insights into the ins and outs of user activity.
There are some monitoring features, tracking the apps and URLs employees interact with. You can track time completely automatically, or through a stopwatch.
- Time tracking – use computer activity data to come up with accurate time logs
- Team insights – see which team members are working longer or shorter hours
- Attendance – see when team members are coming into the workplace and leaving it
- Productivity analysis – recognize the most productive times for your team
- Monitoring – understand the tools and web pages your employees are frequenting
- Shared reports – allow clients an insight into the reports by giving them access
ManicTime’s pricing depends on the number of active licenses. For more information visit their website.
Source: RescueTime website
RescueTime is an automatic DeskTime alternative. The platform delivers a plethora of diverse features and helps teams increase productivity by working smarter.
The daily goal option allows every team member to focus on their most important tasks. This way, they can work on the most profitable projects first.
- Monitoring – track URLs and apps to learn about the workflow and identify distractions
- Distraction management – prevent users from visiting the pages that prevent them from working
- Focus goals – each team member has custom goals for every day
- Reports – learn all you need to know to run a more successful business
- Lite (focus goals, weekly reports, alerts, real-time tracking) – free
- Premium (distraction management, long-term reports, music integrations) – $12 per user per month
Source: Clockodo website
This DeskTime alternative offers insightful reports. They allow managers to identify their teams’ strengths and weak points. This is possible due to in-depth analyses.
The time tracking process is as simple as clicking a start/stop button. The reports you will receive are detailed and versatile.
- Time tracking – let the stopwatch do the work automatically
- Employee reports – learn more about team members’ task structure to improve workflow
- Project tracking – compare planned development to results and see progress
- Custom reports – create insights with all the information you need
- Team calendar – allow your team to synchronize with transparency
- Freelancer (single user, time tracking per project and task) – free
- Starter (stopwatch, attendance) – $5 per user per month
- Pro (project time tracking, non-billable hours, billing rates) – $10 per user per month
- Enterprise (automatic backups, priority support, single sign-on) – $13 per user per month
How to Choose the Best Solution for Your Team?
Finding a great time tracking program isn’t easy. Simply put, there is no universal solution that will help all businesses. This is true as different organizations have different business models and priorities.
Hence, you won’t be able to simply ask around. A solution that works perfectly for one company could be overly complicated for another. In other words, it is important to start by identifying your needs and expectations.
Secondly, you cannot forget about your team. For example, intense monitoring policies are guaranteed to create some issues, as they imply a lack of trust.
Here are some basics to check before deciding:
- The size and the average age of your team
- The industry you’re in
- Monitoring method
- Quality and quantity of reports
- User interface
- Price point
- The level of customization
Time Tracking Apps : Summary
Time Analytics – an Introduction
Are you thinking about starting with Time Analytics?
The platform is extremely user-friendly, and it was built with ease of use in mind. In other words, the system doesn’t interrupt the workflow or take a lot of time.
However, this doesn’t affect the high quality of the reports. Namely, the information provided by the employees is fine-tuned to represent the most important performance indicators.
Even though the employees have the highest level of control over the information they provide, transparency is guaranteed.
You will be able to identify the strongest performers and reward them. On the other hand, it will also be clear if any employee is struggling with their current workload.
Don’t forget – it is important to choose your projects and make sure they are profitable. Thus, the platform indicates problematic contracts and helps you identify bottlenecks.
Absolute transparency to all parties – the employees, management, and clients – is sure to move you and your organization forward!