Interested in a Time Doctor alternative? Read on.
Time Doctor is a well-known time tracking solution. It is feature-rich and has helped many businesses. Yet, it isn’t perfect.
Why Look for an Alternative?
The biggest gripe many users have with the software is its slowness in some aspects. Namely, the platform has issues synchronizing data between multiple devices.
This means that hybrid, remote, and field teams can lose precious billable time due to late synchronization.
On the other hand, there is the aspect of trust. Namely, Time Doctor has an extremely strict employee monitoring policy. The monitoring features include
- Tracking keystrokes and mouse activity
- Monitoring apps and webpages employees are using
- Optional screenshots
This level of surveillance is uncomfortable for many employees. Thus, it can be counterproductive
Finally, there is the issue of pop-ups. The software sends a notification whenever it registers low activity. The pop-ups are meant to encourage the employee to continue working.
However, low computer activity doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not working. Users could be on a phone call or watching an instructional video. Thus, the pop-ups are interrupting them.
The Best Time Doctor Alternative Solutions
Read Time Doctor Review for more information.
1. Time Analytics
Time Analytics is a time tracking application focused on user-friendliness and efficiency. The system is based on user-filled timesheets.
Time Analytics was created with the end user in mind. Hence, the interface is extremely intuitive. Any employee can quickly log their time without interrupting their workflow.
If you are looking for specific information you can include it as a mandatory field in a timesheet template. This will make time tracking even easier for your team.
Accurate time tracking lies at the heart of Time Analytics. The users have two options to choose from – manual entries and an automatic timer.
Each method is extremely simple and ends up providing valuable information on employee performance.
All task entries are connected to their respective projects and clients. Hence, you will be able to understand all ins and outs of your organization at a glance.
The time tracking feature includes
- Task lists
- Marking hours as either billable or non-billable
- Customized hourly billing rates
- The option to edit, copy and move entries
Project and Client Metrics
Simply tracking employee time is useful, but doesn’t give you the whole picture. thus, Time Analytics tracks key performance indicators related to projects and clients.
This feature is extremely important since it helps you optimize your current and future endeavors.
For example, you will be able to see which clients and projects aren’t bringing the expected profit. Then, you can decide whether to continue collaborating with them or not.
You will be able to
- Monitor and optimize profit generation
- Estimate future projects of the similar scope
- Keep allocated costs in check
- Re-negotiate unprofitable projects
- Ensure transparency towards your clients
Team Performance Reports
This Time Doctor alternative avoids micromanagement while still providing valuable information on employee performance.
It will help you identify your best performers and employees with the highest number of billable hours.
On the other hand, it can point you to the employees who are having issues with overtime tracking. This can help you identify what’s creating issues that make your team members stay in the office longer.
You will also be able to
- Track time off
- Track unrecorded hours
- Have an insight into the task structure
- Track goals and their fulfillment
Employee timesheets lie at the heart of Time Analytics. These electronic documents contain all information provided by the employees.
Even though they take very little time to fill out, Time Analytics’ online timesheets reduce time spent on administrative tasks.
This way, you can focus on your work while being sure your time is being documented accurately. You can also choose the information you include in the timesheets or the information you’ll be including in the reports.
Time Billing Assistant
The relationship between a company and its clients is one of the most important aspects of any business. To put it simply – accurate billing and proof of work are crucial for your reputation.
Time Analytics creates itemized and accurate lists of tasks that go into each project. Thus, you can use these lists as an invoicing appendix.
On the other hand, the timesheets contain all hours and employee billing rates. in other words, they show all information relevant to accurate billing.
The assistant helps you
- Determine the billing period
- List all tasks and team members participating in a project
- Edit and export invoices into Excel sheets
Time Analytics and Client Security
Time Analytics uses important information about its clients. Thus, security is a high priority. The platform uses multiple methods to ensure it.
The information you enter into the system – including passwords and credit card data – is encrypted. It is never stored in the platform. Finally, the information you enter into the system is backed up daily for safekeeping.
You can choose the plan that suits your organization’s needs:
Starter ($5.99 per user per month)
- Client and project time tracking
- Tracking utilization and overtime
- Tracking time off and holidays
- Allocating costs
- Reporting on time and costs
- Performance overview dashboard
- Billing rates
- Pay rates
- 24-hour e-mail support
Optimum ($8.45 per user per month)
- All Starter features
- Reports on revenue and profit
- Email reminders
- Personalized onboarding experience
You can try both plans in our 14-day free trial.
Timely is an automatic Time Doctor alternative. It requires almost no interaction from the employees, as the system runs in the background.
The application tracks the time employees spend in different apps, meetings, websites, and more. However, the information remains private to the employee until they submit their timesheets.
- Time tracking: automatic time and activity tracking that doesn’t take any time
- Project tracking: real-time monitoring of activities and budgets
- Team tracking: an insight into the entire team’s working hours and tasks
- Plan tracking: comparing the planned results with the accomplished
- Starter (3 teams and 50 projects) – $11 per user per month
- Premium (unlimited teams and projects) – $18 per user per month
- Unlimited (unlimited teams, features, and projects, individual capacity) – $26 per user per month
- Unlimited+ – custom plan
Pros and Cons
Harvest is a Time Doctor alternative that offers intuitive time tracking from all platforms and devices. The application offers an easy way to keep track of employee activity on different projects.
The product’s goal is to help users lead their businesses more accurately. Thus, it provides numerous insights and reports that can help you resolve issues before they become impairing.
- Time tracking: track employee time through intuitive timesheets and automatic timers
- Reports and analysis: use the logged information to resolve issues and estimate future projects
- Invoicing and payments – create accurate invoices and charge your clients via integrations
- Free (1 seat, 2 projects) – free
- Pro (unlimited seats and projects) – $12 per user per month
Pros and Cons
4. Toggl Track
This Time Doctor alternative is one of the most well-designed on the market. The platform takes a youthful approach and it reflects on the intuitive interface.
The tool’s time tracking system relies on timers, and thus, doesn’t take valuable time away. You can use the tool to plan budgets from concepts to invoicing.
Toggl Track Features
- Time tracking: track time and see entries in a convenient overview
- Billing and invoicing: Track billable hours and give your clients proof of work
- Project budgeting: plan and make accurate estimates based on the existing data
- Reporting: create and optimize your workflow to stay profitable and keep clients happy
- Payroll: calculate payroll automatically using billable hours and employee rates
- Free (unlimited time tracking, projects, clients, and tags) – free
- Starter (billable rates, time rounding, time estimates, tasks) – $10 per user per month
- Premium (fixed fee projects, tracking reminders, audits, required fields) – $20 per user per month
- Enterprise (multiple workspaces, priority support, training, and assistance) – custom plan
Read more about Toggl pricing.
Pros and Cons
Activtrak utilizes time tracking insights and analytics to show its users the best way to handle their workload. The application promotes healthy work habits and helps optimize business processes.
The application uses cloud-based productivity monitoring. That is to say, it monitors keystrokes, but doesn’t record them. then, it analyzes the collected data and creates productivity reports.
- Automatic monitoring: gather data on the quantity and quality of user activity
- Insights: visual dashboards show work structure, distractions, top and low performers, etc.
- Productivity reports: get a detailed insight into team productivity
- User management: invite users, create groups, give permissions, upload assignments
The following prices refer to annual subscriptions
- Free (up to 3 users, 30 days of data history) – free
- Essentials (unlimited users with minimum 5 users, 6 months of history) – $10 per user per month
- Professional (unlimited users with minimum 5 users, 12 months of history) – $17 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
Pros and Cons
DeskTime is a time tracking software solution with some employee management features. That is to say, the software is focused on improving team performance and productivity.
The tool allows you to see whether the employees are capable of managing their workload. It delivers reports that prevent losses and help allocate resources.
- Time tracking: see how your employees are spending their working hours, no matter where
- Employee monitoring: track document names, URLs, and apps, and take screenshots
- Custom reports: identify the team and individual strengths and weaknesses
- Shift scheduling: make sure you are not understaffed and have enough hands on deck at all times
- Pomodoro timer: use the popular time management tool within the app
- Cost calculation: help both yourself and your clients understand the cost of all projects
- DeskTime lite (time, URL, and app tracking) – free
- Pro (productivity calculation, employee integrations, project time tracking) – $7 per user per month\
- Premium (booking, company integrations, offline time approval, shift scheduling) – $10 per user per month
- Enterprise (VIP support, unlimited projects, tasks, data history, API) – $20 per user per month
Pros and Cons
Hubstaff is a time tracking platform that offers employee monitoring features as well. Thus, it delivers actionable insights based on the information it collects.
The application contains a GPS feature that can help field teams. The data is collected automatically and then turned into timesheet entries.
- Time tracking: understand your team’s work habits and project requirements in general
- Timesheets: get cost and workforce overviews that help you increase productivity
- Time reporting: create custom reports with all the information you need to run your business
- Time clock: track attendance by letting your team clock in from anywhere
- Geofence time tracking: automate the clock-in process and know where team members are
- Desk Free (single user) – free
- Desk Starter (screenshots, reports, one integration, idle time detection) – $7 per user per month, minimum 2 users
- Desk Pro (URL and app tracking, unlimited teams, payroll, invoices) – $10 per user per month, minimum 2 users
- Enterprise – custom plan
Read more about Hubstaff pricing.
Pros and Cons
QuickBooks Time is a Time Doctor alternative that tracks employee time on tasks and helps create schedules. It shows real-time tasks being performed.
The application offers reports and insights you can customize to fit your needs. It also allows sharing photos and updates for a higher level of transparency.
QuickBooks Time Features
- Timesheets: understand your employees’ workweek structure and task distribution
- Real-time tracking: see who is working on what at the moment
- Reports: create insights that show the state of your business with no unnecessary information
- Team management: a geofence will ensure your employees are clocked in
- Scheduling: make convenient schedules by shifts and jobs
- Premium (one admin, scheduling, payroll, and invoicing) – $20 base fee + $8 per user per month
- Elite (project progress tracking, geofencing, activity feed) – $40 base fee + $10 per user per month
Pros and Cons
Replicon is an AI-based time tracking platform. This Time Doctor alternative uses automatic time capture on each work-related app your team is using.
The app then creates timesheets based on context. However, the employees can edit entries to increase accuracy before submitting them. The application works across devices.
- AI-powered timesheets: automated timesheet production with editing options
- Project management: create projects and divide them into trackable tasks
- Resource recommendation: let the app help you distribute resources optimally
- Groups: create teams, locations, and departments for easier allocation
- Resource forecast: see how your projects could look considering employee availability
- Invoicing: create invoices for your clients based on the information Replicon collects
- Time & attendance (team management, time off, gross pay) – starts at $6 per month
- Project time tracking (billing, expenses, project time tracking) – starts at $12 per month
- PSA and PPM (professional services automation and portfolio management) – starts at $29 per month
Pros and Cons
BigTime is a billing, expense, and time tracking solution. The platform strives to cover the business process end-to-end, including teams, projects, billing, and profit control.
The application provides its users with a real-time dashboard, as well as historic reports and analytics. In other words, it helps you learn and optimize based on previous entries.
- Time tracking: intuitive timesheets that contain all details on your employees’ activity
- Billing and invoicing: create and send monthly invoices quickly
- Resource management: make sure you are using your workforce efficiently
- Project management: create entire projects and assign their budgets
- Reporting: see real-time and accumulative reports in comprehensive dashboards
- Integrations: combine the app with your favorite business software solutions
All prices listed are for annual billing.
- Express (time tracking, QuickBooks integration, dashboards) – $10 per user per month, minimum 5 users
- Pro (expense tracking, budgeting, invoicing, client portal) – $30 per user per month, minimum 5 users
- Premier (due date management, Gantt charts, Jira, and HubSpot integration) – $40 per user per month, minimum 5 users
Pros and Cons
Insightful advertises itself as a monitoring platform first. Thus, this is the way it collects data on employee activity. In other words, human error is minimal.
The platform also offers project budgeting features, helping companies remain profitable. It also delivers accurate project insights and helps plan and estimate future projects.
- Monitoring: track apps and URLs, take screenshots, mark active and idle time, even secretly
- Activity tracking: use real-time and accumulative reports to recognize patterns
- Time tracking: track time on all tasks and projects to get the full picture
- Attendance: track employee attendance from the second they log in
- Time mapping: receive precise reports on time usage in your organization
- Employee monitoring (stealth mode, screenshots, URL, and app tracking) – $8 per user per month
- Time tracking (reports, timekeeping, manager login, API, project management) – $10 per user per month
- Automatic time mapping (raw data, on-demand screenshots, productivity tracking) – $15 per user per month
- Enterprise (all add-ons included) – $18 per user per month
Pros and Cons
Apployee is a Time Doctor alternative that aims to make great improvements to any team’s productivity. It delivers calendar view timesheets that account for employee time in different periods.
The app includes a payroll feature, as well as timesheet approval. Hence, you will be able to pay your employees justly.
- Time tracking: track the time of all team members accurately, whether in the office or remotely
- Budgeting: keep an eye on all projects to make sure they’re profitable
- Schedules: create shifts and schedules that suit the entire team
- Task management: assign the tasks you’ve created to the best people for the job
- Invoicing: create and deliver accurate invoices to clients from your database
- Payroll: account for hours tracked and pay your team accurately
- Solo (time tracking, task management, budgeting, invoicing, reports) – $4, one user
- Standard (real-time tracking, dashboard, integrations, payroll) – $5 per user per month
- Premium (GPS location, geofencing, project, and member views) – $6 per user per month
- Elite (Screenshots, apps/URL tracking, activity analytics) – $7 per user per month
Pros and Cons
How to Choose the Best Time Doctor Alternative for You?
Looking for an alternative indicates you have an issue with the platform. You will need to focus on those issues first and foremost.
Secondly, you should also consider what works for you. For example, you may like the level of data you get from Time Doctor.
That is to say, you should choose a solution that lacks the negative aspects. However, it should also keep the positives, or improve upon them.
Focus on your needs and expectations as an employer, but don’t forget about your team. After all, you don’t want to cause issues. The point of finding a good alternative is to keep your team happy as well.
Here are some aspects to consider:
- Your team’s age
- Your industry
- The level of monitoring
- Customization options (whether you need them or not)
- Pricing (You can find more information about Time Doctor pricing here.)
Read more about Time Doctor vs Toggl comparison
Getting Started with Time Analytics
Has Time Analytics piqued your interest?
Our platform offers refined reports, tactful tracking, and insightful invoices. Your employees won’t need any time to learn the ropes. Yes, even if they have very basic computer skills!
Time Analytics offers a high level of privacy, yet manages to deliver transparency. It is, simply put, extremely user-friendly while not sacrificing professional benefits.
Use the smart reports to identify bottlenecks within your workflow. Help struggling team members catch a break until they’re able to offer their full capacity again.
Choose Time Analytics and reap the benefits of smart timesheets. Increase your business’s reputation with accurate proof of work and propel your organization forward!
Jelena has a Master’s Degree in teaching Serbian literature and language. Creative writing is her biggest passion.