Are you looking for a time tracking tool for consultants that can help you improve productivity, billability, and profitability across projects?
There are hundreds of solutions on the market with different features, benefits, pricing, and integrations.
But how do you know which time tracking app fits your needs?
To help you decide, we’ve rounded up some of the best time tracking tools for consulting businesses.
Let’s get started.
A Snapshot of the Best Tools for Consultants
We’ve analyzed the benefits, features, pricing, support options, user interface, and more for all of them. Let’s see the results.
Best for small and medium consulting firms with wide range of consulting services.
A. Time tracking
Painless feature offers many options in time tracking:
- Track time across clients and projects in one clic
- Running timer
- Add and edit time manually
- Mark time as billable
- Daily list or calendar workspace view
- Billing and labor/cost rates
- Automatic cost allocation to the projects
- Time-off tracking (vacation, sick leaves, daily breaks etc..)
B. Insights in project time and profits
- Reporting of billable vs non-billable hours
- Time utilization review
- Revenues, costs and profits for each service and activity
- Visual reporting and dashboard
- All reports are exportable in excel
C. Consultants productivity reports
- Work capacity insights
- Reporting on billable hours and time utilization for consulting team
- Timesheets: Review, edit, filtering and export
- Overtime and time-off reporting
D. Transparent and accurate billing assistant
- Increase client satisfaction with more transparency in billing
- Review all services and tasks before invoicing
- Export invoice and make final adjustments
- Email and chat options within the app
- 50+ written articles and tutorials
- Booking 1:1 live demo
Time Analytics pricing review and plans:
- Starter: $4.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $5.99 (billed monthly)
- Optimum: $6.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $8.45 (billed monthly)
- Free trial: 14 days
- Credit cart requirement during trial: No
If you have more than 50 users subscribed, Time Analytics offers a special pricing discount.
Pros of Time Analytics
- Easy to use and friendly interface
- Actionable insights and visual reporting for team, clients and activities
- Tracking a cost of service can help to align or set new realistic fees.
Cons of Time Analytics
- Even though mobile interface is really responsive, a mobile app is still under development
- Fixed fees entry is difficult
- No freemium plan
2. Toggl Track
Best for tracking billable hours on projects in SMBs
What is Toggl?
Toggl Track is a cloud-based time tracker for consultants that automates how we bill clients and generate revenue. With Toggl, you can share comprehensive data with clients by providing the latest accountability.
Toggl Plan and Toggl Hire are two other tools that Toggl offers.
Toggl track browser add-ons allow you to integrate directly with online tools such as Asana, Todoist, Trello, and more.
- Time Tracking: one-click timer, favorites, idle time detection, pomodoro timer, reminders, time audit, offline time tracking,
- Reporting: time rounding, billable rates, project forecast and analysis, hours per projects and clients, schedule report on email
- Integrations: 100+ integrations with Chrome and Firefox extension
- Free -Free for up to 5 users.
- Starter: $10 per user per month (billed monthly) or $9 per user per month (billed annually)
- Premium: $20 per user per month (billed monthly) or $18 per user per month (billed annually)
Read more about Toggl pricing .
Pros of Toggl Track
- Friendly interface and ease for use
- Excellent support team
- Various integrations
- Favorite entries shortcuts
Cons of Toggl Track
- Relatively high pricing for full featured version
- No timesheet reporting
- No time billing
Best for freelance consultants, remote workers, small and medium agencies, NGOs, universities.
What is Clockify?
Clockify is one of the most popular free time tracking software for consultants. It is a project management solution designed to help education institutions, NGOs, and businesses of all sizes to monitor productivity.
The platform allows managers to determine the duration of each project, track employee schedules, and visualize the distribution of time for different tasks.
- Time tracking: timer, adding time manually, block time in calendar, billing rates, reminders, idle time detection, manager role, screenshots
- Timesheet management: approvals, add time for others, reminders
- Budget and estimates, forecasting
- Reporting: Expenses, profits, scheduled email reports
- Free: Limited features
- Basic: $3.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $4.99 per user, per month (billed monthly)
- Standard: $5.49 per user, per month (billed annually) or $6.99 per user, per month (billed monthly)
- Pro: $7.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $9.99 per user, per month (billed monthly)
- Enterprise: $11.99 per user, per month (billed annually) or $14.99 per user, per month (billed monthly)
Pros of Clockify
- Free plan offer
- Ease of use
Cons of Clockify
- Some essential benefits are not included in free plan
- Privacy concerns due to option of screen recording
- User interface
Best for time billing and invoice management for large teams.
What is Harvest?
As a consultant billing software, Harvest helps consultants to make the most of their time. The product offers integration with various other productivity apps, such as Asana, JIRA, Basecamp, GitHub, and Quickbooks.
Harvest makes it easy for you to keep track of time from your desktop and phone and other devices.
It then combines this timesheet data into intuitive, visual reports that make it easy to see what your team is working on, catch projects before they go over budget, and make smart decisions about your business.
- Time tracking: Track time from browser or mobile, custom reminders, daily and weekly views of time entries
- Reporting: Review hours, fees and profits per projects, email scheduled reports.
- Invoicing: Import tracked hours into invoice, invoice management, time based billing, recurring invoices, invoice templates, tracking invoice status
- Integrations: Asana, Basecamp, Slack, Trello, QuickBooks, Jira, Outlook
- Free: (Limitation: 1 user, 2 projects)
- Pro: $12 per user per month (billed monthly) or $10.80 per user per month (billed annually)
Read more about Harvest pricing.
Pros of Harvest
- Simplified daily and weekly interface
- Powerful reporting
- Integrations with many other apps (PM, Calendars, etc..)
Cons of Harvest
- Project setup can be complex for small consulting firms
Best for individuals, freelance consultants and small agencies.
What is Hours?
Hours is a time tracker that operate on iOS and in a browser. It makes it easy to follow in real-time by keeping an active list of timers you can go between with one touch.
Flexibility makes this a great tool to track all of your billable and non-billable hours quickly and easily.
- Work day visualization with time blocking
- Customizable and exportable reports (PDF-CSV)
- Notes to timers
- Billing rates
- Free (5 timers only)
- Personal: $9.99 per year (for individuals)
- Pro: $49.99 per year
- Team: $199 per year for 5 users
Pros of Hours
- Android and iOS app
- Easy time tracking for freelance consultants
Cons of Hours
- Not suitable for large teams
As robust system Replicon is the best for large teams and enterprises.
What is Replicon?
If you want to manage your consultant time-off and gain insight into your employee time-off usage and availability, Replicon is an ideal time tracker for you. With this consultant time-tracking app, you can make faster, more efficient decisions, and improve profits.
Replicon is a great solution for project accounting, and deep project and resource management.
- Time tracking, clock in/out, reminders and notifications
- Automatically capture minutes spent across 100+ apps
- Attendance and time-of tracking
- GPS monitoring
- Pre-populated timesheets, approvals
- Advanced analytics and reporting
- Project Time Tracking: $12 per user per month
- Time and Attendance Tracking: $6 per user per month
- Professional Services Automation: $29 per user per month
Pros of Replicon
- Support and customer service is excellent
- Interface is clean and friendly
- Easy PTO scheduling and projections
Cons of Replicon
- Reports are quite difficult to read
- Setting up of users is not user friendly
- Full featured version is expensive for mid-size teams
Best for companies of all sizes, especially for remote work time tracking.
What is RescueTime?
RescueTime is an award-winning tool that helps businesses become more focused, productive, and motivated. With this powerful time tracking and distraction-blocking software, you will work smarter, not harder.
The upgraded version has an advanced report, unlimited data, real-time alerts, and more!
- Fully automated time tracking
- Windows and Mac apps to track desktop activity
- Timesheet management
- Desktop productivity assistant
- Excellent and customized reports
- Distraction blocking
In additon to free version RescueTime offers Teams plan from $6.5 per user per month. Check out our article on what is included in each of RescueTime pricing plans.
Pros of RescueTime
- Increase of focus and giving a clear insight into time consumption
- Personalized weekly reports
- Ease of use
Cons of RescueTime
- Might be used to spy employees by management
- Not possible to assign work to projects or clients
Best for service professionals across all industries and timesheet management.
Source: TimeCamp web
What is TimeCamp?
TimeCamp is a time and consultant billing software that helps companies to increase project profitability. And it’s 100% free! This simple, yet powerful, free consulting time tracking app helps you stay on top of work.
TimeCamp integrates with a large number of applications and comes with additional features for increased functionality.
- Adding and editing time entries toward clients and projects
- Timesheet management
- Attendance tracking, vacation and time off tracking
- Productivity tracking and reporting
- Project budgeting
- Time billing and invoicing
- Free: Limitation – Export reports, billable hours, billing rates, email support, chat support
- Basic: $6,99 per user per month if billed annually or $7.99 per user per month if billed monthly
- Pro: $9,99 per user per month if billed annually or $10.99 per user per month if billed monthly
Read more details on TimeCamp pricing, and what is included in each of plan.
Pros of TimeCamp
- Very easy interface for time logging
- Simple but effective timesheets
- Available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Chrome
Cons of TimeCamp
- Personalization of invoices
- Project interface could be better
Best for solopreneurs, influencers, writers.
What is Timeneye?
Timeneye is the perfect consulting time tracking tool. It helps small/medium-sized companies track team productivity. Timeneye is much more than a timesheet for consultants:
- it shows the value of your time
- it allows you to track time accurately
- build stronger relationships
- make better business decisions
- Track time in one click
- Weekly email recaps
- iOS, Android mobile app
- Integrations: Google Calenda, Asana, Basecamp, Click up, GitHub
- $6 per user per month, billed yearly
- $7 per user per month when paid monthly
Read more about Timeney pricing plans.
Pros of Timeneye
- Reports, the Google Chrome plugin, Team overview
- Pricing model is easy and affordable
- Outlook integration
Cons of Timeneye
- The UI is getting bit old
Best for managing cost-effective projects.
What is actiTIME?
actiTime is the perfect tool for efficient time tracking in a Consulting Firm.
Use actiTIME to make very accurate time estimates for your consulting projects. This time and consultant billing software provides an appropriate way to assign and manage tasks, track time, and analyze your business achievement based on the data you collect.
- Easy time tracking per weekdays
- Accurate reporting for payroll
- Time billing and invoicing
- Detailed data analytics
- Project management, estimates, project visualization
- Integration with Outlook and Google calendar, Zapier
- Free: Limitations -Departments, Task Estimates, Custom Fields for Tasks, API, Chrome Extension
- Monthly plan: $7 per user per month
- Annual plan: $6 per user per month
Pros of actiTime
- Obtain accurate information for customer billing
- Analyze the cost of various work activities
- Phone versions
Cons of actiTime
- Free version has certain limited or unavailable functions
- Little complicated for first use
- Reports could be hard to understand
Best for employee monitoring and screen recording of remote teams.
What is TimeDoctor?
Time Doctor makes project and time management easy– with one customizable tool. It has a simple interface that allows users to create tasks and start tracking time with the click of a button.
Time Doctor also tracks the total time worked by every team member, providing a straightforward breakdown of time use. Customizable features in the dashboard let you control what you track and analyze.
- Automatic time tracking
- Employee monitoring and screenshots
- Idle time detection
- Easy-to-read summary reports of the time spent on each project, client, and task
- Productivity analysis
- Various integrations with another apps
- Basic: $70 per user per year
- Standard: $100 per user per year
- Premium: $200 per user per year
Read more about Time Doctor pricing plans.
Pros of Time Doctor
- Capture each minute spent on web or other apps
- Support options and responsiveness
Cons of Time Doctor
- No free plan
- Privacy concerns – managers can spy its employees
- Quite expensive
Best for companies and remote teams.
What is WebWork?
WebWork Time Tracker is your go-to tool to make the most of your team’s talent and time. Its multiple features and integrations simplify working processes and give insights about your employees’ productivity. This all-in-one software allows you to track time, record attendance, and monitor activity to make your work faster, smarter and more effective.
- Time tracker with screenshots
- Productivity analytics
- Employee monitoring
- IOS and Android app
- Attendance tracking
- Billable Hours & Invoices
- Free: Limited to 14-day Free Trial
- Basic: $4.99 user/month
Pros of WebWork
- You can always maintain your productivity as it takes an automated screenshot, generate statistical data
- Keyboard and mouse tracking
- Employee monitoring features is good for remote and hybrid teams
Cons of WebWork
- There are times reports section are not matching
- Privacy concerns – managers can spy its employees
Best for consulting teams in need of an employee time clock.
What is Beebole?
Beebole is an employee time-tracking software for organizations of all sizes.
With a simple dashboard and fully configurable reports, it’s also easy to control budgets, costs, leaves of absence, timesheet approval, and more.
The team overview lets managers check project status, team and employee performance and overtime at a glance. Approval flow allows for easy bulk review, approval of timesheets, request changes, and lock time entries.
With Beebole you’re able to tap into valuable business intelligence by running reports on employee time, budget, margin, and profit. Managers can build the exact report they need or use the custom KPI dashboards to unlock this powerful insight.
Beebole is GDPR compliant, multilingual, and offers a 30-day free trial with no credit card required.
- Efficiently measure the time spent on clients, projects, and tasks
- iOS, Android app
- Billable and non-billable hours
- Time budgeting
- Timesheet approval
- Leave management
- KPIs reporting
- One flat rate: €6.99 per user per month
Pros of BeeBole
- Nice visual time reporting
- Security and compliance is at the highest level
Cons of BeeBole
- Limited integrations with other apps
- Mobile app
How to select the best time tracking tool for your consulting business?
Make sure your selected tool contains some following features:
- Able to track time across clients, projects, and tasks
- Running timer and manual time entry
- Cost rates, billing rates, cost allocation to the projects
- The manager role is important to make the team hierarchy
- Reporting on billable vs non billable hours, time utilization
- Highest security and privacy standards
- Perfects support options
- Cost (plan variation, free trial, discounts)
Getting started with Time Analytics
If you want to try Time Analytics, we’ll guide you to the simple and efficient onboarding process with full support by our team. You can try all features in 14 days free trial with no need credit card info required.
Our support includes in-app chat and written guidelines, demo video, email support, and more.
You can always book 1:1 demo with our team and we show you which benefits and pricing plan best fit your needs.