Employee productivity is a topic that draws constant attention due to its impact on organizational performance, growth, and revenue. Especially with remote work becoming mainstream, managers, CEOs, and business owners are trying to maintain the rhythm of work established in physical offices without micromanaging employees who now work remotely.
Productivity issues, like struggling to meet deadlines and poor time management, still threaten the company’s success and create additional stress for the team and thereby lowers the quality of their work. Luckily, technology offers a solution to achieve more by introducing some simple but very efficient time tracking solutions: timesheet apps, and software that records the time spent on assignments, projects, or clients.
These apps can help you establish whether your employees spend time on recurring tasks which distract them from core assignments. So let’s discuss the key benefits of using timesheet apps and take a look at the best app solutions available.
The benefits of using timesheet apps
Timesheet apps provide company management with a detailed breakdown of the time spent on each task. Collected data serve as an input for calculating project costs, billing clients, and paying employees. With timesheet apps, you have a clear vision of the upcoming tasks so you can set the proper schedule and allocate the budget and other resources properly.
Besides proper time management, the most significant benefits of using timesheet apps include:
- Precise tracking of work done
- Accurate reviewing of team and employee performance
- Exact client charging based on the precise record of time spent
- Detailed tracking of contractors and freelancers
- Comparing tasks and projects over time for improved performances
- Task automation, which saves you time and frees up your HR staff’s plates
Now that you’re familiar with what timesheet apps can do for your business, you probably wonder which software would best suit your organization’s needs. To help you make the best choice, we created a list of 25 timesheet apps with an overview of their key features.
23 best employee timesheet apps for your business
Timesheet apps come with many functionalities and different pricing models and are available as mobile, desktop, and web apps. Having multiple choices when choosing software can make your decision harder. So let’s discuss their many features to give you a hand in making the right purchase decision.
1. Time Analytics – Optimize billable hours with easy time tracking
Time Analytics is a simple, yet powerful tool, ideal for small businesses aiming to improve their efficiency, replace manual tasks with automated processes, and make better business decisions based on data.
Features like time tracking, timesheets, and cost tracking allow you an overview of how well your employees’ hours are spent, broken down by the project. Additional fields let you mark the hours as billable or non-billable and add any comments or notes regarding a project.
Time Analytics also offers a reporting feature, which allows you to evaluate your efficiency and productivity after a specific time period: weekly, monthly, quarterly. You can create separate reports for every client, so you get a clear idea of which projects are profitable, and which need optimization in terms of staff and budget allocated to them.
Another handy option Time Analytics features is invoicing. You can easily export your timesheets in Excel and add them to your invoices so your clients can see exactly what they’re paying for: how many hours and what activities went into the outcome you’ve provided.
Thanks to the intuitive and clean interface, it’s easy to get started using Time Analytics and your employees won’t need extensive training to learn how to use it.
The cherry on top? Time Analytics is one of the most affordable time-tracking software on the market. Take a look at the pricing here.
Why Time Analytics?
- User-friendly dashboard for easier performance management
- Comprehensive timesheets for identifying your top performers and reducing unproductive hours
- Timesheet calculator for profitability monitoring
- Cost-tracking features for each project
- Invoicing assistant for calculating billable hours in no time
Start from $4.25 per user, per month.
2. ATracker – Manage Your Time, Beautifully
ATracker is a comprehensive time tracking app with a simple setup procedure. It allows for uncluttered layout report creation, which can be shared via social media and email and exported as a CSV file.
ATracker enables access to time spending history, available in the list or calendar view. It also allows you to set daily or weekly goals and is easily accessible from any device.
- Free plan available (with restrictions)
- Daily and weekly goal-tracking based on your tasks
- Streamlined reports, easy to share with your team
iOS version – $2.99
Android version – $4.99
Web portal feature – $2.99 per month
3. Buddy Punch – Streamline Time Tracking
Buddy Punch is a highly intuitive, cloud-based scheduling and time tracking app suitable for computer and smartphone use. It automatically calculates accrued vacation, sick, and owed time and can be easily integrated with your payroll software.
With Buddy Punch, you can monitor remote workers with GPS, access image tracking features, or assign employees unique IP addresses. It is highly suitable for freelancers and small and medium-sized businesses.
Why Buddy Punch?
- Simplified payroll tracking with automatic time off calculations
- Numerous integrations with payroll software
- Detailed reporting system for better remote worker management
- Standard – $19 base fee + $3.49 per user per month
- Pro – $19 base fee + $4.49 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
4. ClickTime – Timesheets That Drive Performance
ClickTime is a web-based time tracking platform that provides businesses and individuals with an intuitive solution for tracking time, expenses, and resources. It provides weekly, daily, and biweekly timesheets.
ClickTime smartphone app comes with a view and edit option and allows employees to capture receipts. Managers can use the mobile app to approve expenses quickly. This software offers multi-currency conversion, mileage tracking, and reimbursement monitoring.
- Powerful reporting tool to help you understand how your time and budget are spent
- Timesheet approvals for you to confirm hours and budgets
- DCAA/audit trail to ensure compliance with state and federal laws
- Starter – $13 per user per month
- Team – $17 per user per month
- Premier – $28 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
5. Clockify – Log Weekly Activities for Less Than Minute
Clockify is a free time tracker and timesheet app that allows you to add an unlimited number of users. It will enable you to track productivity, attendance, and billable hours and is suitable for businesses, freelancers, and startups.
You can schedule work, tasks, and shifts, submit and approve timesheets, and record expenses and fees. It is available as a desktop, web, mobile, and kiosk app. It offers 24/7 customer support with an average response time of 1 hour.
- Tracking working hours in real time
- Detailed reports with information about activities, people, costs, earnings, progress, and locations
- Easy employee management through scheduling tasks, time off approvals, invoicing
- Basic – $3.99 per user per month
- Standard – $5.49 per user per month
6. Harvest – Elevate Your Time Tracking
Harvest is a time tracking, online invoicing, and reporting software. It can be easily integrated with analytics and reporting, project management, CRM and communication, and finance and payments apps that your team already uses.
It allows for recording expenses on the go, handles online payments via Stripe or PayPal, and provides light team management features. Reports can be exported to Excel or CSV.
- Simple, intuitive time-tracking features available from any device
- Detailed reports with filters that allow a deep dive into your team data
- Simple online creation, sending, and paying of invoices online
- Free – for one user
- Pro – $12 per user per month
7. Homebase – Built for Hourly Work
Homebase is a user-friendly and intuitive scheduling tool that manages time clocks, payroll, and team communication. Incorrectly clocked hours or missed clockouts are automatically identified and easily adjusted. It allows employees to switch schedules by themselves with the manager’s approval.
Paychecks are automatically calculated, with deposits sent to employees and payroll taxes filed. It is best suited for off-site and remote employees. It offers additional HR features such as hiring, onboarding, and labor cost controls.
- Ideal for tracking workers on an hourly rate
- Easy timesheet to hours and wages conversion for payroll purposes
- In-app team communication
Annual plan: $14 per location
Monthly plan: $19.95 per location
Annual plan: $35 per location
Monthly plan: $49.95 per location
All in one
Annual plan: $70 per location
Monthly plan: $99.95 per location
8. Hubstaff – Timesheet Software That Automates Almost Everything
Hubstaff is a time tracker and a productivity monitoring tool with screenshots, timesheets, billing, and in-depth reports. It is available as a web, desktop, mobile, and Chrome app.
This tool is a comprehensive platform that facilitates worldwide remote talent acquisition, offers GPS location tracking and agile project management for teams of all sizes. It helps spot employees struggling with their assignments and needing a hand. Also, it allows you to control expenses, fix money leaks, and establish which projects are most profitable.
- Small-sized app available for mobile, desktop, web, and Chrome
- Detailed insights into how you’re spending time and money for increased productivity
- Minimized admin work with GPS tracking of your employees’ locations
- Time Free
- Time Starter – $7 per user per month
- Time Pro – $10 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
9. Journyx – We Save a Time
Journyx is a user-friendly project time tracking software. It provides you with precise and timely information for payroll and client billing. Time and expense data can be easily validated to prevent errors and avoid the need for corrections.
Work hours and costs are easily logged from any location via a mobile app. Journyx applies a security-first strategy making data protection central to this time and expenses management solution.
- Highly customizable to meet your business’s unique needs
- Dashboard reporting for real-time data and streamlined presentation
- Custom data validation for avoiding errors in automated workflows
Contact the Journyx team to get information about the pricing
10. monday.com – Timesheets with Project Management
Monday.com is a time management and productivity app that customizes workflows and improves team alignment and efficiency. Manual and automatic time tracking are both available.
Monday allows you to centralize all files, tasks, processes, and tools in one Work OS. Teams can easily connect and clue up with intuitive automation and push notifications in real-time. Customizable dashboards provide you with compelling overviews.
- Comprehensive platform for more than just time-tracking activities, including sales, marketing, and more
- Centralized workflows, tools, and files, all in one place
- Integrations with the most popular business tools like Slack and Dropbox
- Basic – $10 per user per month
- Standard – $12 per user per month
- Pro – $20 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
11. Monitask – Employee Monitoring with Screenshots
Monitask is a handy time tracker and timesheet app. Employees, contractors, and freelancers can clock in when they start working on a task, while the app takes screenshots during the work process.
This tool allows you to track the team’s workloads and enables employees to monitor the work process. It offers real-time tracking of projects and tasks that are being worked on and workflow duration.
- Easy setup of only one minute
- Employee time tracking with screenshots for improved productivity
- Summary and custom reports to better fit your needs
- Monthly — $5.99 per user/month
- Annual — $4.99 per user/month
- Monthly — $8.99 per user/month
- Annual — $6.99 per user/month
- Monthly — $19.99 per user/month
- Annual — $15.99 per user/month
12. nTASK – Project and time management.
nTask is a project management software that allows you to add up to 5 team members for a free start. nTask basic plan enables users to create unlimited workspaces and tasks and to gain unlimited access to meetings, timesheets, and issues tracking.
The nTask app allows for smooth project planning and resource management, as well as successful management of project deliverables. It is suitable for freelancers, remote teams, startups, and medium-sized businesses.
- Getting started for free
- Kanban boards for a streamlined view of your tasks
- Detailed task descriptions: status, priority, assignees, due dates, attached docs, subtasks, and more
- Premium – $4 per month
- Business – $12 per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
13. ProofHub – Accurately Track Your Team’s Time
ProofHub is a project planning software that is best for team collaboration and keeping track of work. It is an all-in-one platform that offers planning, collaboration, and organizational tools. It allows for comprehensive project progress reporting, workload reporting, setting a daily schedule and project overviewing.
This tool also offers multiple languages and features like bookmarking items frequently worked on, push notifications, a personalized logo, theme color, and a custom domain.
- Simple, fixed-price plans instead of per-used prices
- Multiple view options to suit your preferences
- Easy internal communication among teams with chats and threaded comments
- Essential — $45/month billed annually, $50/month billed monthly
- Ultimate control — $89/month billed annually, $99/month billed monthly
14. QuickBooks Time – Always Know Where You Stand
QuickBooks Time is a timesheet tracker that simplifies payroll and invoicing. It provides access to scheduling software, overtime monitoring, and real-time reporting. It allows you to create schedules by jobs and shifts, remind your employees to clock in and out by setting geofence boundaries, and generate real-time interactive reports.
Android and iOS apps make tracking, submitting, and approving timesheets easy.
Why QuickBooks Time?
- Suitable for those who already use QuickBooks as it’s embedded directly in the tool
- GPS location tracking for increased accountability
- Access to your data in real time so you can see who’s working
- Premium – $20 + $8 per user per month
- Elite – $40 + $10 per user per month
15. RescueTime – Take Back Control of Your Time
RescueTime is a time management software showing your team’s productivity. It provides guidance during work time by indicating when you are losing focus or trying to multitask. With RescueTime, you can also block your main distractions and get an overview of the quality of your focus.
- Automatic tracking of your personal daily Focus work goal
- Personalized alerts to help you be as productive as possible
- Distraction blockers for better focus
The pricing depends on different factors, but the lowest price is $6 per month.
16. Scoro – Understand every aspect of both time and money
Scoro is a work management software that assists in achieving more efficient work and making data-driven decisions. It simplifies quoting, allowing you to smoothly run your projects and automate billing. A time management system eliminates recurring tasks and distractions and makes you focus on core tasks.
- Automated starting and pausing of your work timer
- Precise daily records of your activities, available to you only
- Simple chart reporting to manage and improve your efficiency
- Essential – $28 per user per month
- Standard – $42 per user per month
- Pro – $71 per user per month
- Ultimate – custom pricing
17. Tick – Simple Timesheet App
Tick is a user-friendly time and budget tracking software. You can use it on your desktop computer, smartphone, or even the Apple Watch. This software provides a project update and a real-time report with every time entry. Afterward, all data can be reviewed in timesheets.
- A 30-day free trial
- Available on all devices and OS
- Precise and real-time budget tracking to make sure your projects are profitable
- 1 project – free
- 10 projects – $19 per month
- 30 projects – $49 per month
- 60 projects – $79 per month
- Unlimited – $149 per month
18. Time Doctor – Timesheets for Remote Teams
Time Doctor is time and productivity tracking software. It is suitable for business process outsourcing and companies with offshore teams. It boosts employee productivity by tracking whether they are overloaded or not fully engaged. Timesheets can be approved automatically or manually and easily integrated with the payroll system.
Why Time Doctor?
- Suitable for remote, hybrid, and even outsourced teams
- High level of security for enterprise clients
- 60+ integrations with other business tools
- Basic – $7 per month
- Standard – $10 per month
- Premium – $20 per month
19. Timesheets.com – We Improve Productivity and Reduce Costs
Timesheets.com is a time tracking and productivity boost software suitable for small and medium-sized businesses. It allows you to track costs and mileage and easily upload receipts via a mobile app. Overtime reporting, payroll, and calculating billable time are also possible. The app is free for a single user.
- Tracking working hours, time off, mileage, expenses, and more
- Easy-to-use and flexible reporting
- Battery and data-efficient mobile time tracking app
Freelancer – free
Standard – $4.50 per user per month
Nonprofit – $3.60 per user per month
20. Timecamp – Track Your Employees Time
Timecamp is a straightforward, full-featured, and automated time tracking app. You can add unlimited users and projects and manage your projects with detailed daily timesheets or an overview of your weekly activities. Project time and cost tracking reports can be exported into Google Spreadsheet, Excel files, PDF, and CSV. This app comes with a GPS tracking feature and automatic reminders and is free of charge.
- Forever free plan available for unlimited users, projects and tasks
- Multiple automatic tracking options: team’s performance, profit margins, time spent in different apps
- Easy-to-create, insightful reports with customization and easy sharing options
- Basic – $7 per user per month
- Pro – $10 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
Timerecording is an Android device time-tracking app that generates timesheets per day, week, or month. It allows employees to check-in and out for specific assignments and daily notifications. This software can be integrated with cloud solutions such as Dropbox and Google Drive and allows for Excel, and HTML reports export.
- Simple, at-a-glance overview for HR managers
- 60-day free trial
- Can be used even for clocking in and out on physical clocks, suitable for hybrid teams
22. Toggl Track – Time Tracking for Better Work, Not Overwork
Toogl Track is a simple time tracking and reporting software with basic features free for up to five team members. It offers project and team management functionalities and is suitable for small businesses and freelancers. Reports can be generated as PDF and CSV files. It offers additional HR solutions, such as candidate screening and skills evaluation.
Why Toggle Track?
- Great data security and GDPR compliance
- Billing and invoicing options
- A simple, intuitive dashboard for creating reports
- Starter – $10 per month
- Premium – $20 per month
- Enterprise – custom plan
23. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects is a cloud-based project management and team collaboration software. It allows for planning and assigning project tasks and activities and managing resources. It keeps you notified of spotted deviations between planned and realized progress. This software has a drag-and-drop interface for the simple visualization of automated tasks.
Why Zoho Projects?
- Cloud-based software
- Both automatic and manual tracking options available
- Automatic invoice generation
- Premium — 5 EUR per user, per month, with a limitation to 50 users
- Enterprise —10 EUR per user, per month
Upgrade your business performance with time tracking
It is no secret that the quality of delivered results directly impacts clients’ satisfaction. To avoid the stress of not meeting deadlines and the clients’ discontent, you should consider monitoring the organization’s performance.
Doing a precise tracking of the effort, time, and money invested in wrapping up a project can create an added value when trying to sell your products or services. Your clients and partners will value the systematic approach to doing business and the pursuance of accuracy and process improvement.
It seems like a good idea to start now—track the time of your next task with Time Analytics. Sign up for a 14-day free trial and boost your efficiency right away.