The role of the contractor is to deliver high-quality projects that are on time and within budget. The contractor should manage the expectations of the client (the project owner) and provide the productivity and security of the team.
Working as a contractor, you will face a lot of issues. You will be struggling to find answers on how to:
- track cost and profit for each client and project
- monitor the workload of your construction worker and other people
- track hours spent per employee
- monitor work activities per employee
- allocate employees and costs per project/client
- stay productive
- monitor team’s performance
- create accurate invoices
How construction time tracking software can help contractors?
Time tracking is one of the basic processes in any business, especially for the construction industry. Let’s see how time tracking software can help contractors.
Manage employees time more efficiently
Time tracking software allows you to effectively manage employees’ working hours. With construction timesheet software, you can track how do construction workers and other people included in project spend their time daily, weekly, or monthly. You can track time on projects, time off, overtime, clock in/out, and more.
Based on tracking billable hours and costs, you can discover unproductive behavior and resolve this. With time tracking software you can track time utilization, billable and non-billable hours per project, employee productivity, client profitability, and more.
Construction timesheet reporting
Improve overall company performance with high-level information used in powerful reports. You will get detailed insight into cost structure, productivity, efficiency, and projects profitability.
Monitor cost allocation per client, projects, tasks, and employees, with construction time tracking software. Also, ensure that the right people are involved in working on the right projects.
With time tracking software you can prepare data for the invoice, based on hard facts and time utilization.
Stay on budget and time
Get real-time information about the project. Control the progress of projects and measure their profitability. With a timesheet calculator, you can automatically allocate all generated costs to the projects and clients and stay within budget.
Finding the right construction timesheet app
Contractors need reliable time tracking software that can help them manage their business. We did some research and made a list of the 10 best time tracking software for contractors. Read on to discover the best one for you!
The Best Time Tracking Software for Contractors
1. Time Analytics – Time Tracking Software for Contractors
Time Analytics Software is a time tracking software designed for consulting firms, contractors, engineers, architects, and more. This software offers time and cost tracking of each construction worker and other people per each project, client, or working task.
Time Analytics helps contractors to be focused on delivering projects on time and within the budget– by taking care of administration and time utilization.
With Time Analytics you will be able to create and control value-driven key performance indicators (KPI) such as work time utilization, billable and non-billable hours per project, the structure of time consumption per different working activities, employee productivity rate, client profitability, accuracy in invoicing, and more.
- Construction worker and other staff timesheet tracking – manage employees’ time and track billable hours and rates.
- Performance management – dashboards provides an overall picture of organizational performance
- Cost tracking – cost tracking per each project, client, or working task
- Clients monitoring – monitor the profitability of a client 24/7
- Accurate reporting – reporting tools for workers, clients, projects, and tasks
- Invoicing assistant – create an invoice based on settled hourly rates
- Productivity management – reduce nonproductive working hours and improve project profitability
- Starter – $4.99 user/month
- Optimum – $6.99 user/month
- Premium – $12.99 user/month
Trial: 14 days
2. Boomr – Contractor Time Tracking Software
Boomr is an employee time tracking and workforce management software for companies of all types and sizes. This solution will simplify your timesheets, payroll, and accounting.
With Boomr, you can track your employees’ hours in real-time on any device, get overtime alerts and automatic billing reports.
- Project tracking – monitor the status of your employees ’progress across a variety of different tasks and projects
- Time tracking – mobile and desktop time tracking
- Payroll and invoicing
- Reports – custom reports for productive time, drive time, travel time, and specific project time
- Shift management – automate your employee shift schedules by creating your own custom shift rules
- GPS tracking
- Integration with FreshBooks, Slack, QuickBooks, BambooHR, and more
- Monthly – $5/mo per user
- Yearly – $4/mo per user
- Monthly – $9/mo per user
- Yearly – $7.20/mo per user
Trial: 30 days
3. Connecteam – Employee Construction Time Tracking
Connecteam is a time tracking software for contractors and offers features needed to communicate with your team, schedule shifts, track time, and organize your business.
In one place, Connecteam offers you time tracking, job scheduling, multiple communication tools, online mobile-first checklists, forms and reports, and much more.
- Time tracking – manage and track employee work hours on the job, projects, and clients
- Employee scheduling – create and manage schedules easy
- Employee communication – multiple ways to communicate and engage employees
- Checklists and forms – custom checklists, reports, and form
- Task management – allocate tasks to your deskless workforce
- Basic – $47 per/month
- Advanced – $95 per/month
- Expert – $191 per/month
- Enterprise – custom price
Trial: 14 days
4. Zoho Projects – Time Management Software
Zoho Projects is a cloud-based project management software. This software helps you plan projects, collaborate with your team, and track works efficiently.
Zoho Projects gives you the ability to integrate with several other Zoho applications.
- Time tracking – record work hours, create invoices and comprehensive reports
- Task management – manage projects by breaking them down into milestones, task lists, tasks, and subtasks
- Task automation
- Team Collaboration – project team communication platform
- Charts and reports – task, issue, and timesheet reports
- User administration
- Integration with Zoho apps, Microsoft apps Google apps, and more
- Premium – 5 EUR per user, per month, with a limitation to 50 users
- Enterprise – 10 EUR per user, per month
Trial: 10 days
5. Quickbooks Time – Time Tracking App for Contractors
Quickbooks Time is a time tracking app for contractors with features such as timesheet management, billable hours calculation, job and shift scheduling, and a mobile app with GPS time tracking.
Quickbooks Time allows you to schedule jobs, coordinate teams, track time and projects.
- Time tracking – track employee time and billable hours
- Scheduling – employee, job, and shift scheduling
- Invoicing – create professional custom invoices
- Reporting – run and export reports including profit & loss, expenses, and balance sheets
- Team management –manage your workforce easily
- Integration with QuickBooks Online and ADP
- Premium – $8/user/month +$20 base fee/month
- Elite – $10/user/month +$40 base fee/month
- ProAdvisor – free
Trial: 30 days
6. FreshBooks – Software for Businesses with Contractors
Fresh Books is a timesheet tracking solution, made especially for self-employed professionals and their teams. It helps you create professional invoices, capture your expenses and track your time towards projects.
With FreshBooks, you will be able to use custom permissions to grant contractors and team members access to track time, log expenses, and update projects.
- Invoicing and billing — automated invoicing, online payments, and payment reminders
- Time tracking — track time and log billable hours
- Expenses — log and organize expenses and connect a bank account
- Projects – an effortless collaboration with team members, contractors, and clients, and easy access to every file
- Reporting — revenue, profit, and expenses
- Payments —automatically track payments
- Accounting —ensure accuracy and prepare comprehensive financial statements through automatic balances
- Integrations with Hubspot, Dropbox, Zapier, and more
- Lite – $6 monthly. $50 yearly
- Plus – $10 monthly. $50 yearly
- Premium – $20 monthly. $15 yearly
Trial period: 30 days
7. ClockShark – Timesheet app suitable for construction workers
Clock Shark is a construction timesheet software with features such as scheduling, job management, team communication, quoting, and invoicing. It is specially built for construction, contractors, and field services.
ClockShark offers mobile apps for iOS and Android devices that allow field workers to track their schedules, clock in and out, and add photos and files for specific jobs directly to timesheets.
- Time tracking – recording data needed for payroll and job costing
- Team and employee scheduling – create and update employee schedules, reschedule jobs or reassign employees easily
- Job management – organize jobs and collaborate with team
- Track GPS locations
- Invoices and payments – create accurate invoices for completed jobs, and get paid faster
- Integration with Xero, Sage, QuickBooks, Zapier, and more
- Basic — $3 per user per month
- Standard — $6 per user per month
- Pro — $8 per user per month
- Expert — $12 per user per month
Trial: 14 days
8. Timesheet.com – Online Time Tracking Software
Timesheets.com is a cloud-based software for time tracking. This solution can help businesses reduce payroll, manage time-off, and maximize the hours they bill.
With Timesheet.com, you will be able to track employee expenses, HR performance documents, and schedules. Contractors and employees can track their time on any computer, laptop, or mobile device.
- Time tracking – track time for payroll, job costing or billing, manage electronic signatures, supervisor approvals, and provide real-time reports
- Mileage & Expense – track expenses and mileage from phones or computers, and upload receipts.
- Time Off and PTO –time off the calendar, requests, and more
- Human Resources – store all your employee data and documents in one place.
- Project tracking – track time for billing, job-costing, and productivity
- Integrations with QuickBooks
- Freelancer plan – free
- Standard plan – $4.50 per user monthly
- NonProfit plan -$ 3.60 per user monthly
Trial period: 15 days
9. Smartsheet – Project and Time Management Software
Smartsheet is a project management software designed to track project progress, assign tasks, manage calendars, share files, and timeline tracking.
This platform allows you to manage, collaborate, and report on work in real-time, automate workflows, and improve team productivity. With Timesheet.com, you can capture issues in real-time from any device and increase collaboration among project teams, vendors, subcontractors, and clients.
- Team collaboration – connect everyone on a team collaboration platform
- Admin center – manage your account from one location
- Dashboards – data from your sheets and reports
- Project management – project plan and schedules, task and budget tracking, resource management
- Automation – implement easy and powerful automated workflows
- Reports – operate with real-time data from across multiple sheets
- Integration with Slack, Dropbox, Microsoft, Oracle, and more
- Individual – $13 per month
- Business – $22 per month
- Enterprise – the price is provided on demand
- Premier – the price is provided on demand
Trial period: 30 days
10. TMetric – Construction timesheet software
TMetric is very suitable for construction business. This software solution is designed to help contractors to complete projects on time and within budget.
TMetric allows you to create projects, track work time, setup billable rates, prepare reports, and printable documents for clients. Also, with TMetric, you will be able to set budgets for projects, set rates on any task, project, or team member, invoice clients, see your workday on a timeline, get detailed reports.
- Time tracking – track and control every task you work on
- Project management – setup projects, budgets, and rates
- Team management – measure the productivity of your team and monitor workflow
- Time-off – track employees sick leaves, seasonal vacations, work absence, and time off
- Billing and invoicing – set billable rates and easily create invoices, based on tracked time and expenses
- Reporting – get insights into projects and team productivity
- Task management – easily monitor and organize tasks
- Integration with Asana, Jira, MS Office, and more
- Business — $7 a month or $72 a year
- Professional — $5 a month or $48 a year
Trial period: 30 days
Staying on top of work is challenging and hard. But, with the right time tracking software you can work smarter, not harder.
Your time is priceless!
Start using time tracking software. It will save you and your company precious time – and money!
Summary of the best time tracking software for contractors:
FREE 14-day trial – no credit card required